• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

FNC Crystal Shards in Hollow Bastion?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

NemesisSP

Awards
Now, disclaimers first and foremost. No, I don't think Fabula Nova Crystallis was thought up at this point. I do think ideas for it probably started once Nomura and Nojima got around to Kingdom Hearts 1 and put this particular idea in there. Or that someone in the design team did it and Nomura liked it so much it inspired him to talk to Nojima and Kitase about ideas that would evolve into FNC. I don't even know if they were *in* the original PS1 game or even the Final Mix version. I can't find my old PS2 at the moment to check.

Then again, since we do know that Noctis was meant to be Sora's opposite AND that someone was meant to repeat the opening lines with Sora in the ending like it eventually happens with Re:Mind, I honestly can't say it is a coincidence or Nomura has so melted my brain I'm grasping at straws.

Also, I put it here because it's still primarily a KH1 video and I don't think it really fit with the Final Fantasy Discussion section. I could be wrong and moderators feel free to correct or move it to that section.

Either way, I found this in KH1 while looking around Hollow Bastion a bit. You know, the kind of thing one does when they have no life. Anyway, I wanted to go up and see the stained glass windows, cuz you know, they're badass and noticed these crystal shards floating around the top of the area. Nowhere else, just this area and I have never heard anyone talk about it before. So I wanted to know if anyone had noticed before and what their thoughts are concerning this.

For me, personally, I again don't think it meant anything at the time but a cool thing that eventually inspired FNC for Nomura and Nojima, or was just a coincidence. I would also appreciate if someone who has the old PS2 copy on hand could check it out or even a rom. Please, I am really curious about this.

For reference of what to look for, here's two examples. SIDENOTE: The File Size limitation on this forum is freaking killing me, since there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it. I'm sure there is, don't tell me what it is, I'm just saying it is frustrating.

Also, it helps to have the video at the highest quality, since it's the particle effects you want to look for.

1604446255869.png

1604446724528.png

Last edited:

Soldier

Awards
Now, disclaimers first and foremost. No, I don't think Fabula Nova Crystallis was thought up at this point. I do think ideas for it probably started once Nomura and Nojima got around to Kingdom Hearts 1 and put this particular idea in there. Or that someone in the design team did it and Nomura liked it so much it inspired him to talk to Nojima and Kitase about ideas that would evolve into FNC. I don't even know if they were *in* the original PS1 game or even the Final Mix version. I can't find my old PS2 at the moment to check.

Then again, since we do know that Noctis was meant to be Sora's opposite AND that someone was meant to repeat the opening lines with Sora in the ending like it eventually happens with Re:Mind, I honestly can't say it is a coincidence or Nomura has so melted my brain I'm grasping at straws.

Also, I put it here because it's still primarily a KH1 video and I don't think it really fit with the Final Fantasy Discussion section. I could be wrong and moderators feel free to correct or move it to that section.

Either way, I found this in KH1 while looking around Hollow Bastion a bit. You know, the kind of thing one does when they have no life. Anyway, I wanted to go up and see the stained glass windows, cuz you know, they're badass and noticed these crystal shards floating around the top of the area. Nowhere else, just this area and I have never heard anyone talk about it before. So I wanted to know if anyone had noticed before and what their thoughts are concerning this.

For me, personally, I again don't think it meant anything at the time but a cool thing that eventually inspired FNC for Nomura and Nojima, or was just a coincidence. I would also appreciate if someone who has the old PS2 copy on hand could check it out or even a rom. Please, I am really curious about this.

But i thought you did have life as an artist....
I do have the original PS2 copy, but whether or not it still works is debatable. I can try and boot it up one of these days Nemesis and tell you if it's the same.

If anything, it might be mere coincidence, as adding in stained glass pillars to areas is nothing new in video games. They're often used in churches or gothic castles to add a bit more decorum to the place. In Hollow Bastion's case, it's mimicking the classic "fairytale castle" aesthetic.

NemesisSP

Awards
But i thought you did have life as an artist....
I do have the original PS2 copy, but whether or not it still works is debatable. I can try and boot it up one of these days Nemesis and tell you if it's the same.

If anything, it might be mere coincidence, as adding in stained glass pillars to areas is nothing new in video games. They're often used in churches or gothic castles to add a bit more decorum to the place. In Hollow Bastion's case, it's mimicking the classic "fairytale castle" aesthetic.
I do think it is mere coincidence myself, but at the same I am curious about it even then. After all, they're way too specifically designed.

Either way, I just figured this was something curious to share, since like I said I've never seen anyway talk about it, especially now that people are looking for Versus XIII hints everywhere, even in games I think we all know can't possibly have them. It's why I want to know if it is there in the original versions or something inserted into the game for the PS3/PS4 versions.

EDIT: Oh, I think there's a misunderstanding. It's not the stained glass windows. It's the particles in that area. The crystal shards that are floating around that particular area. I'll add a comparison to the OP to show more clearly what I mean.

Last edited:

Soldier

Awards
Click that video link, it was not made by me, but recorded by someone else who used the PS2 version. Skip to 48:20 in the video to reach that area of the lift stop and take a look. In that quick glance, I don't really see that many particles which makes sense. The PS2, for as strong as it was (A few terrorists ordered 500 of the suckers back when it was being released because it is powerful enough to function as a BOMB, believe it or not) Wasn't the best hardware for finer details. The remasters were initally made on the PS3, which could support finer details better and with precision. Given that FF 13 came out on the PS3 and then 1.5 came out later to get more people familiar with the series, It's likely that they used it because it was made on a similar engine/system.

Back