• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Foreteller Animal Emblems = Symbolism?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I was always curious as to why the Foretellers donned Animal masks... were they the very first furries?

All joking aside, I genuinely believe that the respected animals are symbolism towards their nature outside of the respected Keyblades that they wield. Lets take a look at which animal belongs to which Foreteller shall we?

Unicornis = Unicorn
Ursus = Grizzly Bear
Leopardos = Leopard
Anguis = King Cobra
Vulpeus = Vixen (Female Fox)

From this, we could get a better idea as to which Foreteller is most likely to be the "traitor" out of the five.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I remember already having this somewhere, but there's no disadvantage in bringing it up again.

In terms of symbolism and mythology, the animals are associated with the following traits:

Unicorn:
- wild and untamable except for very pure souls.
- symbolizes grace and purity.
- rumored to have the powers to make poisoned water potable and heal sickness.

Bear:
- unrivaled strength and perseverance.
- often also considered a noble and protective animal, the celtic bear god Artaois being the namesake of the well-known mythological figure King Arthur himself.
- in scandinavic mythology, the bear is also connected with the state of "berserker", which literally means "bear shirt" in viking language and stands for the fact that once truly enraged, a bear is a nearly unstoppable force.
- folklore of the Native Americans also designates the bear as a "keeper of dreams" and it is a highly respected and powerful totem in their culture.

Leopard:
- known to be very agile, speedy and versatile.
- rather elusive and reserved in behaviour.
- prefer to avoid fights if possible, but are very fierce if a fight is unavoidable, a famous hunter once stated that when a Leopard truly decides to fight, it might be more dangerous than a Tiger.
- in mythology, the Leopard is sometimes regarded as the symbol of Jesus Christ himself, as an enemy of snakes and dragons, which are said to be symbols of Satan.
- in ancient Greece and ancient Rome, Leopards were regarded and respected as symbols of determination and speed as well as being companions to the god Dionysus(greek)/Bacchus(roman).

Snake:
- has a very mixed history in regards to mythology:
- often regarded as a symbol of scheming, treachery and temptation in several religions,
- but also as a symbol of immortality, fertility and healing, which is shown for example in the Rod of Asclepius, a widely known symbol for medicine.
- said to be very clever and also a symbol of wisdom and knowledge.

Fox:
- often depcited as a symbol of cunning and trickery, but also as familiar animals possessing magic powers.
- highly intelligent.
- particularily interesting is finnish mythology, which paints the fox as cunning trickster which isn't evil, but outsmarts the true "evil" by proving that intelligence conquers both brute strength (bear) and malevolence (wolf).
- similar to that is the interpretation of chinese and japanese mythology which paints the fox as a mischievous trickster that may indeed be dangerous, but not necessarily evil by default.
- in the middle ages though, especially in Europe, the fox was designated as the symbol of the devil himself.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
So, who else thinks that Unicornis will be the traitor now just to be "surprising?"

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
So, who else thinks that Unicornis will be the traitor now just to be "surprising?"

Heheh, that would certainly be a thing Nomura can come up with, lol.
Normally, the snake and the fox would be the prime candidates when looking at mythology, so by "Nomura-surprise-logic" maybe we do have to assume exactly the opposite.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I remember already having this somewhere, but there's no disadvantage in bringing it up again.

In terms of symbolism and mythology, the animals are associated with the following traits:

Unicorn:
- wild and untamable except for very pure souls.
- symbolizes grace and purity.
- rumored to have the powers to make poisoned water potable and heal sickness.

Bear:
- unrivaled strength and perseverance.
- often also considered a noble and protective animal, the celtic bear god Artaois being the namesake of the well-known mythological figure King Arthur himself.
- in scandinavic mythology, the bear is also connected with the state of "berserker", which literally means "bear shirt" in viking language and stands for the fact that once truly enraged, a bear is a nearly unstoppable force.
- folklore of the Native Americans also designates the bear as a "keeper of dreams" and it is a highly respected and powerful totem in their culture.

Leopard:
- known to be very agile, speedy and versatile.
- rather elusive and reserved in behaviour.
- prefer to avoid fights if possible, but are very fierce if a fight is unavoidable, a famous hunter once stated that when a Leopard truly decides to fight, it might be more dangerous than a Tiger.
- in mythology, the Leopard is sometimes regarded as the symbol of Jesus Christ himself, as an enemy of snakes and dragons, which are said to be symbols of Satan.
- in ancient Greece and ancient Rome, Leopards were regarded and respected as symbols of determination and speed as well as being companions to the god Dionysus(greek)/Bacchus(roman).

Snake:
- has a very mixed history in regards to mythology:
- often regarded as a symbol of scheming, treachery and temptation in several religions,
- but also as a symbol of immortality, fertility and healing, which is shown for example in the Rod of Asclepius, a widely known symbol for medicine.
- said to be very clever and also a symbol of wisdom and knowledge.

Fox:
- often depcited as a symbol of cunning and trickery, but also as familiar animals possessing magic powers.
- highly intelligent.
- particularily interesting is finnish mythology, which paints the fox as cunning trickster which isn't evil, but outsmarts the true "evil" by proving that intelligence conquers both brute strength (bear) and malevolence (wolf).
- similar to that is the interpretation of chinese and japanese mythology which paints the fox as a mischievous trickster that may indeed be dangerous, but not necessarily evil by default.
- in the middle ages though, especially in Europe, the fox was designated as the symbol of the devil himself.

This is phenomenal! It puts my mythology knowledge to shame! How do you know all of this?!

Back to topic, I actually believe that Vulpeus will be the traitor, however, I think it's to prevent the Keyblade War as opposed to starting it. You see, she seems to be the only character that has a direct relationship with Ephemera and she herself believes that the Unions cause more bad than good. What if, Vulpeus came to realise the truth behind the Master of Masters forming a Union in order to start an internal clash of lights that breed darkness to open Kingdom Hearts (hence the news of a "traitor")? It could explain as to why the Sixth Foreteller never had a tome of prophecy, because, they were deceptive enough to realise the true purpose behind the Master of Masters reasoning behind creating "Unions" that ironically separate as opposed to unite....

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
if vulpes is the traitor that mean kairi is going to correct the mistakes ava had in the past which make kairi much imorptant or the traiter is the six forteller and wears a black coat

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
if vulpes is the traitor that mean kairi is going to correct the mistakes ava had in the past which make kairi much imorptant or the traiter is the six forteller and wears a black coat
Yeesh, it took me a few minutes to decipher that...
Remember that the Rebirth Theory is still just that- a theory, albeit a very convincing one. We shouldn't start assuming that it's canon, however; nor should we start basing more assumptions off of it.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
Yeesh, it took me a few minutes to decipher that...
Remember that the Rebirth Theory is still just that- a theory, albeit a very convincing one. We shouldn't start assuming that it's canon, however; nor should we start basing more assumptions off of it.
i know it just a theory i just hate when people say that is the decedent of that person when they have no evidence to back it up when all they have is colors

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Now that I'm thinking about it, what mythology do we have on goats? I can't really think of any myths about goats (aside from that one with the horns that made nectar and ambrosia), nor can I think of what exactly they symbolize.

I mean, even if he didn't create a union, that sixth foreteller probably was the wielder of the Hircine Blade (Xehanort's Keyblade). What does goat imagery have to say about him?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Some have said (I can't find the thread right now) that it's not actually a goat, but a chimera. Tho "goat keyblade" kinda is the accepted shorthand.

Goats themselves are known to be really stubborn animals tho, and a bit mean besides. I don't know of any mythology about them tho.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Some have said (I can't find the thread right now) that it's not actually a goat, but a chimera. Tho "goat keyblade" kinda is the accepted shorthand.

Goats themselves are known to be really stubborn animals tho, and a bit mean besides. I don't know of any mythology about them tho.

Chimera... you mean this chimera?

chimera.jpg

I get where the goat part is coming from, but it seems odd to just ignore the lion and snake aspects completely.

Emperor

I don't think Xehanort's Keyblade has a goat or chimera on it. I think it's a Baphomet.

Awards
Now that I'm thinking about it, what mythology do we have on goats? I can't really think of any myths about goats (aside from that one with the horns that made nectar and ambrosia), nor can I think of what exactly they symbolize.

I mean, even if he didn't create a union, that sixth foreteller probably was the wielder of the Hircine Blade (Xehanort's Keyblade). What does goat imagery have to say about him?
Not just a goat, a Ram, I think. I'm sure there's plenty of symbolism attached to rams. There's at least a little biblical significance, I think, and its the aries star sign.

Zak1403

this website has good stuff on the ram syblism Ram Animal Meaning and Symbolism | Spirit Animals
I'd say if it were a ram it does connect to Xehanort a fair bit.
"
Going beyond fear into complete faith, the Ram is sure footed and boldly leaps where others will not go, creating his own path, a path meant just for him. Ram has prepared and practiced his maneuvers his whole life, and he knows well what he is capable of. When the time is right he swiftly leaps into a new opportunity without hesitation."

Its pretty remincient of how Xehanort is so driving in his desire to recreate the realm in his own image, a perfect balance of light and dark. The website also states ram's have connection to new beginnings which could relate to the multiple forms Xehanort has taken throughout the series.
This is all speculation suggestion that Xehanort is the 6th Foreteller, which I personally don't want to believe.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
The KH3D Ultimania calls the animal on Young Xehanort's/Master Xehanort's Keyblade a lion:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

And at least the snout looks like it.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Goats or Rams are associated with Satan most often in mythology of the western world, even more than the fox which had this imagery only during the middle ages.
However, in norse mythology, goats are revered as the faithful steeds that pull the chariot of Thor, the god of thunder while in the chinese zodiac the goat is a symbol of characters/personalities that are shy, introverted, creative, and perfectionist.

A Chimaera has more than one head though and the goat-head is almost never the primary one.

I don't think Xehanort's Keyblade has a goat or chimera on it. I think it's a Baphomet.

Err, Baphomet IS a goat-like demon though, so the imagery of Xehanort's Keyblade would still be a goat.

The KH3D Ultimania calls the animal on Young Xehanort's/Master Xehanort's Keyblade a lion:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

And at least the snout looks like it.

A lion does not make much sense though as Lions don't have horns.
Going by this I'd rather say the Keyblade depicts a Behemoth then although the image on the very right looks like a horned lion with a fish tail, which is similar to the "Merlion", an iconic symbol of the city state of Singapore as well as a mystic animal of the anicent civilization of the Etruscans.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
A lion with horns could also be a manticore, that would also fit the weird bat wings it sprouts during the No Heart fight.

The Behemoth idea is interesting, I could really see it working and I like it more than the Baphomet theory.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
A lion with horns could also be a manticore, that would also fit the weird bat wings it sprouts during the No Heart fight.

The Behemoth idea is interesting, I could really see it working and I like it more than the Baphomet theory.

Isn't the Manticore in mythology a creature with the body of a lion but the head has a human face with fangs? The wing-bit does fit though.

Depending on the depiction, Behemoth heads can be lion-like and they almost always have horns.
Baphomet would fit partly as well though as the whole Keyblade has something demonic to it and Baphomet is a demon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back