• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Friendship Costs A Lifetime

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auron0521

Website
rekisblade.webs.com
Dawn broke over the clear, blue ocean. The beach was cluttered with beautiful and unique seashells, swept up by high tide. Treacherous sand dunes separated the beach from the main road, and the occasional sound of cars was drowned by the sound of the water.

Marcus sat on the beach, the ocean barely reaching his feet. He quietly watched the sun rise over the horizon, as was his routine every morning. Beside him, he had his schoolbag and a change of clothes, in case he got wet.

Smoke blew from between his lips, and Marcus ground his stub of a cigarette into the sand. He drew another out of a camouflaged box and lit it with a match, looking back to the sunrise as he inhaled the tobacco smoke.

Having parked by the road, Bethany was climbing over the dunes. Sometimes she'd slip on the sand, but she had grown used to it and quickly recovered. Finally, she reached the peak of the final hill and spotted Marcus.

Half running, half falling down the last hill, she reached Marcus' side and laid down, staring up to the ever-brightening sky. Sand got in her hair, but that didn't matter. This was their spot, their time to be alone.

"You really should quit smoking," Bethany commented, eyeing the cigarette in Marcus' mouth. He took one more long drag, then tossed the cigarette into the ocean.

"It's a hard habit to break," he said, smiling. Bethany was just happy that Marcus hadn't become addicted to some other drug. A lot of the stuff on the streets lately might steal her friend away, she knew.

"So, how are things between you and Ian?" asked Marcus. He asked that question everyday, but not without reason; the situation between Bethany and her boyfriend Ian changed daily.

"How about you and Jessica?" Bethany countered. Marcus was infamous at school because of his relationship with his girlfriend. One minute, they would be hugging and kissing, getting along perfectly fine; the next, they'd be arguing and yelling at each other.

"That bad, huh?" Marcus said. He stood up and wiped the sand off his clothes. Grabbing his schoolbag and clothes, he walked off toward the dunes.

"Hey, where are you going?!" Bethany called out, annoyed by his sudden actions. Marcus turned and walked backwards, grinning.

"You were late, so we have to go now to make it to school on time," he explained, laughter in his voice. Bethany stood and chased after Marcus, knocking sand out of her clothes and hair as she ran.

This was their daily routine. It began when they were children, two kids who met by chance on the beach. They were now teenagers and the greatest of friends, even sharing all their classes at school. They were, in truth, inseparable.

To be continued...

To be honest, I'm not really sure how I feel about this new story, but I decided to work on it, so I'll see it through to the end, whatever that will be. In any case, I really liked this situation, two best friends of opposite sex with no romantic feelings for each other, just hanging out by the beach.

Gram

Banned
Awards
i like the set up cant say much more lol since the story is just started intrigued to see next one.

EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thought just accrued to me~ the characters reminded me of the main character of a book from high school called Fire o3o she had a similar thing with a friend in the book and it was set at a beach town.....yeah has no reason to say that just random i guess XD

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I gotta say, you have a way of bringing the characters to life, Auron. You do it, very well, just by introducing them. Not sure, what this story will be about, but it does spark my interest.

Auron0521

Website
rekisblade.webs.com
Marcus was much better at navigating the dunes than Bethany was. He was past them in moments, and already getting in the passenger's seat of Bethany's car by the time she reached the road. Noticing what Marcus was doing, she called out to him.

"Marc, where's your car?!"

Marcus buckled himself into the seat and slid it back, so that the passenger's seat was almost touching the backseat. He had very long legs, so he had to do this whenever he got in a car to be comfortable.

"My car blew a tire, so I walked here today," he said. Climbing into the driver's seat, Bethany shook her head. She knew how hopeless Marcus was with machinery, and especially cars, but being unable to change a tire was ridiculous.

She put the key in the ignition and started the car, driving down the beachfront highway. It was the middle of winter, so there weren't many people out by the ocean. The white foam of the tide, unhindered by people, looked almost like an extension of the beach.

They drove in silence, admiring the views around them. It could also be said that Marcus and Bethany didn't need words. For them, it was enough just to be together, and they understood each other so well that they could tell what the other was thinking through the still air.

Marcus was thinking about Jessica, or rather, how to apologize to her. The couple had broken into a really bad fight the day before, which ended with Jessica walking off. He'd called her later in the day to apologize, but she hadn't answered.

Bethany was in a similar situation the night before. She had been on a date with Ian, but things had gone further than Ian preferred. He left in the middle of their date, leaving Bethany alone and depressed.

They reached their school, which sat just off the highway. Bethany parked near the front entrance, and they got out. As they walked up to the school, a boy sprinted toward them, tackling Marcus to the ground.

"Finally, you're here! Come this way, Marc! I need you to look at something!" the boy rattled off, practically incoherent. Marcus looked up at Bethany, who merely shrugged. He sighed.

"Okay, Stew, I'll go with you," he said. Stew was the boy's nickname. His actual name was Steven, but nobody ever called him that. He was an extremely energetic person whom everyone liked, but also grew annoyed with if they spent a lot of time with him.

Stew and Marcus stood up and walked off, Stew half dragging Marcus. Bethany giggled a bit and continued to the front doors. Stew hadn't asked for her, and she knew she would see Marcus once classes began.

To be continued...

I have to say, I really have difficulty writing this story. Not for lack of ideas, but because I'm unsure of the words I should use. It feels a lot different than the last story I wrote, at any rate.

As to what genre it is, I'm gonna have to say something close to a drama. It has comedy (as you can tell by the introduction of Stew, who is my favorite character, by the way) but mostly, it's about the deep connection between Bethany and Marcus. Anything besides that is simply added story to bring the world to life.

Auron0521

Website
rekisblade.webs.com
A special double-feature day! This might become a semi-regular thing!

Ian was in a sorrowful state. He was an extremely shy individual, and uncomfortable just going on a date with his girlfriend. When Bethany had made a move on him, he broke down. His mind couldn't take it, so he ran away in order to collect himself. He had meant to return, but Bethany had already left by the time he did.

All of this sat on Ian's conscience like a large concrete brick. He had made it to school, but he now sat with his back against a wall, his head hung low. He didn't feel like moving. He didn't feel much like living, either.

He knew Stew had seen him, and he noticed when his friend ran off. He's probably going to find Marcus, Ian thought. Stew believed Marcus could solve any problem, no matter the situation. Ian had to admit, he wasn't far from wrong.

Though Marcus might come off as a delinquent to others, Ian knew otherwise. Marcus was at the top of their class, and probably the most sensible as well. It was no wonder that half the girls in school drooled over him. In that respect, Ian was jealous.

However, Ian also knew of Marcus' vices. Smoking, drinking, and a horribly vulgar mouth were among his qualities, though he kept the latter under check while at school. Ian could often cheer himself up by thinking about that side of Marcus.

Though he realized Marcus and Stew were approaching him, Ian didn't twitch a muscle. He didn't care if Marcus saw him like this. Giving up was one of Ian's specialties, and he knew how to work it perfectly.

Marcus didn't say anything as he walked toward Ian. He simply took a seat next to his friend, Stew sitting on the other side, the pair sandwiching their friend between them. They didn't look at Ian or do anything. They were just quietly there.

Marcus knew something had happened between Bethany and Ian, but looking at his friend's sorry demeanor, he had a general idea of what happened. Bethany had definitely done something to make Ian feel uncomfortable.

Ian was feeling even more uncomfortable under the pressure of Marcus and Stew. Though they weren't looking at him, he felt like eyes were digging into him. He couldn't take it anymore. Ian stood and faced his friends.

"Well, say something!" he yelled. Marcus and Stew looked at each other, then burst into laughter. Ian was at a loss. He felt like he had missed a joke. He didn't know what they were trying to do, but he was pretty sure he didn't like it. Marcus stood and placed on Ian's shoulder.

"We were trying to get you to react, man. It's not good to be so stiff. Now, what's bugging you, man?"

Ian looked away. "Nothing important, really..."

"I already know something happened between you and Beth," Marcus said. Ian looked up, surprised, then remembered it was Marcus. Of course he knew. Ian exhaled deeply and explained what had happened.

Marcus and Stew listened patiently to Ian's story until it was over. When Ian finished, they stood in silence for a few moments. Finally, Marcus spoke up.

"Let's go see Beth," he said.

"Let's go!" Stew shouted, pumping a fist into the air. Ian tried to get away, but Marcus grabbed him. He had already decided they were going to solve the problem that morning.

To be continued...

Well, I've finally gotten comfortable with this story, so I thought I'd post another chapter. I hooe you guys enjoy it as much as I do.

Stew is kind of interesting, Megz. Too bad he's not really a main character, but more of a comic relief. I might think up a side story involving him before this ends, though.

Gram

Banned
Awards
haha X'D that silent part was funny to me.
but damn what did the dude think would happen when he walked off on date -facepalms-

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Not sure, how I feel about Ian, yet. Kind of reminds me, of this one character, that's looks for the bad qualities in another person, to make themselves feel better. Could definitely see some drama playing out, with Ian involved.

I like Marcus, because he's unique and has this, thing about him that I like. The bond he shares with Bethany, is pretty awesome. Reminds me, of a certain someone I happen to know.

You did a really good job, with the silent scene, Auron. Something about that scene, struck a cord in me, too.

Auron0521

Website
rekisblade.webs.com
Jessica was severely annoyed. She never thought she and Marcus would have a fight about something like public displays of affection, but they had. It had extremely angered Jessica, and she had walked out on the conversation.

Jessica had tried to kiss Marcus, but he had stopped her, saying it was unnecessary. It wasn't like they hadn't kissed before, but it was the first time at school. Jessica didn't understand what he meant by saying that. She couldn't see how kissing her boyfriend at school could be unnecessary. She was simply expressing her love.

The truth must be that Marcus is afraid of public displays of affection, she had thought. When she accused him of this, he had stumbled over his words and countered with a couple of see-through arguments. He may be smart, but he couldn't fool Jessica.

Now, she sat in her desk, head against the top, practically fuming. She had heard Marcus call the night before, but chose not to answer. He was just going to apologize, like he always did. That was fine, but she'd like it if he actually took action for once.

Bethany took her seat next to Jessica, and turned to her friend. To her, it looked like Marcus and Jessica had gotten into a pretty serious fight, rather than one of their usual spats. She wanted to cheer up her friend, but was busy thinking about her own problems.

However, she couldn't just leave Jessica like that. Swallowing back her issues, she turned to Jessica and put a hand on her back. Jessica looked up and saw Bethany, then forcibly smiled.

"What's up?" Bethany asked. Jessica shook her head and slapped her forehead into the desk.

"It's Marc. He's being an ass, as usual," she spat. As Jessica explained the situation, Bethany interjected her own comments constantly. She wasn't a good listener.

When Jessica had finished, Bethany stood up and moved toward the door. Jessica lifted her head at the sudden movement.

"Where are you going?" she asked. Bethany turned to Jessica and clenched a fist.

"To beat him up."

"Hey, if anyone gets to beat him up, it's me!" Jessica called out, but Bethany was already walking out the door. As she did, though, she bumped into Stew. Marcus and Ian were there as well, and Bethany turned away from her boyfriend's face. Marcus smiled and laughed a little.

"Well, this is convenient. What was it that was bothering you, Ian?" Ian looked away and coughed, embarrassed to say it in front of Bethany.

"I-I wasn't comfortable w-with what you did last night," he stammered out. Bethany made to speak, but Marcus stopped her. He turned to Stew.

"So, that's that. Now, how do we fix it, Stew?" he inquired, turning to his excited friend. Stew jumped up and down at the prospect off helping Marcus solve a problem. Unfortunately, in his excitement, he blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

"He just needs to touch her in a sexy way!"

To be continued...

Yeah, this was a fun chapter to write. Stew was given the spotlight for a moment, though his use of it is less than humorous. Or maybe more than humorous, depending on what you think is funny. But, yeah.

Gram

Banned
Awards
pfft hahaha X'D "touch in a sexy way" haha either he knows that wont end well or knows it wont but lol's at the idea.
chapter was fun to read, i grinned the whole time~ XD

Auron0521

Website
rekisblade.webs.com
Not much in terms of length, but I'll post this anyway.

Marcus laughed hysterically. Embarrassed, Ian turned away from his friends, lacking even the power to run away. Bethany was far from pleased. Sure, had been the one to come onto Ian, but Stew just blurting something like that out loud was ridiculous.

Jessica was watching the hallway. She could see Bethany, obviously talking to someone, but she couldn't see who. She got and moved to get a better look, and realized that Marcus was there.

Moving to the door, Jessica was surprised when Bethany suddenly kicked her ankle. Bethany was surprised, too, as that kick was originally intended for Stew's knee, until Jessica suddenly appeared. Falling to one knee, Jessica soothed her ankle.

Marcus stopped laughing when he saw Jessica. He felt awkward around, given that she hadn't answered his call after storming away the day before. He moved Ian between himself and Jessica, though Ian fought. He quickly gave up, though, knowing that he couldn't stop his friend.

Bethany bent down to check on Jessica, while Marcus whispered into Stew's ear. "You may want to get in the classroom now," Marcus advised. Stew didn't see why. After all, he was only there to help.

"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" Bethany asked Jessica. Jessica nodded and leaned up against the wall. Bethany had a strong left foot, enough to put most people out of commision for a few minutes after taking a kick like that one.

Bethany, noticing Ian, stood up and faced him. She knew what she had to say. Knowing he was uncomfortable, she had forced him into a situation where he felt even more awkward. She reached out to touch Ian, but he backed away. Bethany sighed.

"I'm sorry about last night, Ian..." she said. Ian didn't want her to apologize. He was the one who ran away, and he felt terribly guilty about it. He reached out, hesitantly, and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"No, you shouldn't be sorry, Beth. I'm the one who ran off and left you alone. I'm the one who should apologize..." he acknowledged. Bethany smiled warmly up at Ian and touched his hand, clasping them together. Ian was shocked for a moment by the sudden interaction, but to his own surprise, was quickly able to calm down.

Marcus tried to sneak into the classroom, dragging Stew along with him, but Jessica stopped him. She had recovered from Bethany's quick kick to the ankle. Marcus shoved Stew into the classrom, ignoring the complaints, and turned to his girlfriend.

"I think we need to talk," Jessica said.

To be continued...

Gram

Banned
Awards
:3 nice little update~ lol that kick must have hurt X'D

Auron0521

Website
rekisblade.webs.com
Marcus had really wanted to avoid talking to Jessica, but there wasn't any way she was going to let that happen. Jessica was incredibly pushy and stubborn. If she wanted to talk, you could be sure that she was going to talk.

"Now, tell me," she started, "why was what I did yesterday 'unnecessary'?" Marcus sighed and rubbed the inside of one of his ears.

"Why didn't you pick up the phone yesterday?" he countered. Jessica was growing irritated with how Marcus always tried to avoid discussions about himself. It had become an annoying habit.

In fact, most of the couple's fights had been caused by Marcus being vague about something or him just dropping a subject completely. Jessica was exhausted by it all. She simply wanted to learn more about her boyfriend. That's understandable, she thought.

However, Marcus apparently didn't think so. He absorbed all the information he could about Jessica, but rarely let leak anything about himself. Jessica knew she could just ask Bethany, but she'd prefer to learn from the source.

Marcus looked nervously to his feet. "Well, it's like, you don't have to kiss me in front of other people... That's why I said it was unnecessary..." he stammered out. Jessica couldn't believe that, of all things, that was his reasoning.

Jessica slapped him hard. She couldn't hold herself back. Marcus had just angered her so much.

"I wasn't kissing you because we were in front of others!" she stated. Marcus touched his stinging cheek, then looked up at his girlfriend.

"Then... why?" he asked. Jessica couldn't comprehend her ears. Here was the purportedly smartest person in school, asking why his girlfriend had tried to kiss him.

"Because I love you, dumbass! Can I not show that when I feel the need to?!" she shouted, tears streaming from her eyes. Marcus reached to brush them aside, but Jessica slapped his hand.

"Don't you even understand a girl's emotions?" she asked, brushing her tears away herself. Marcus hung his head.

"Not really..." he muttered. Jessica pushed past Marcus into the classroom. She paused just long enough to tell him one thing.

"Then you need to learn."

Marcus watched as she strode to her desk, his fellow classmates turning away and pretending they were busy. He knew they had seen the fight. He also knew that was his and Jessica's worst fight yet.

However, he only vaguely understood that they had just split up.

End of Part One, Part Two begins next update!

So, how was that? Sorry I didn't get out an update yesterday, but I'm hoping that this one will make up for it. It's all Marcus and Jessica, and I think a great insight into their characters. Of course, I wrote it, so I can't really say anything...

Anyway, read on, mighty warriors of the written word!

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
That was incredible, even for a fight, especially the impact of that slap. I can, definitely understand how Jessica feels about the situation. Wonder, if Marcus will learn from this or not.

Looking forward to your next update, Auron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back