• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight_Path

So I was in the Halloween mood yesterday and I whipped up this scary short story ^^

I did it somewhat for my own amusement, but mostly for my pal, who goes by the inconspicuous name of Who Me? around here.

Enjoy, mates!
------------------------------------------------------------

A little while longer; hold out until we’re done.
There’s nothing left to it save ending the song we’ve sung.
Passion is our reasoning and guilt is on the wall,
It’s always been a hobby to watch the losers fall.

Cassidy listened to her cell phone’s musical ring tone once more, allowing her inquisitive ears to drink in every last word of the song she had chosen to assign to her boyfriend’s caller ID. After sorting through at least a million choices, she had hand-picked this one because it reminded her of how she first met her sweetheart. She smiled as she remembered the comical look on his face when she had played the tune for him at school several months ago.

*Flashback*

“Cassie! What were ya thinking giving me that ringtone? It sounds so… suggestive.”

Cassidy and her boyfriend shared a hearty laugh as the pair ambled down the main school hallway. The young, playful girl gave her companion a gentle shove as she teased him about their first introduction.

“Don’t you remember? Back when we first met… you noticed I was having trouble with my armload of art materials, so you stepped in to help me and –” Cassidy broke off into giggles as her boyfriend put an arm around her and sighed deeply.

“Well Cassie… it just goes to show that you don’t appreciate the finer points of my gangster style,” quipped the teenager as he ruffled his partner’s auburn curls.

Cassidy placed a hand over her mouth and struggled to hold in her explosive laughter. After she managed to gain control over herself, she glared in mock anger at her boyfriend and said: “Your ‘gangster style’? So, you consider tripping over the janitor’s mop, sliding across his newly polished floor and colliding with the principal of the whole school the ways of a gangster?” A prideful nod from the cocky male sent the two back into endless fits of mirth.

*Flashback End*

Of course, it is my pleasant memories of us together that are the most important to me. Cassidy briefly recalled the night when she realized that her relationship with this young man needed to come to a close. It had been a horrid and rather violent breakup, and Cassidy had gone to sleep many a night with tears in her eyes and a tissue (or fifty) on her bedside table. Nonetheless, it was over now, and Cassidy desired to move on with her life. As if to assure herself that her decision to end the relationship with her sweetheart was a good one, she deleted both the ringtone and her ex-boyfriend’s number from her cell phone’s address book.

Thus ends that chapter of my life, she thought decidedly. The sound of her mother’s voice calling her down to dinner interrupted her reminisce and reminded Cassidy that after one goes through such things, life still must go on...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Alright Cassidy, you know the drill. Finish your homework before you watch House tonight, and I would like it very much if you would empty and refill the dishwasher while I’m gone.”

“Does that mean that I can get out of it if I put on a cute face?”

“Ha-ha Cassidy… very funny. All right then, please empty the contents of the acclaimed dishwasher and refill it with the dirty dishes before I get home. Understood?” Cassidy’s mother leaned against the front door post and waited patiently for her daughter’s response.

Cassidy sighed loudly and mumbled a half-hearted “Okay mom” under her breath. Her mother turned to go, then stopped and looked back. She took several steps toward her only child and placed one of her dainty gloved hands on Cassidy’s shoulder. She smiled and gave her daughter a gentle squeeze.

“I know it’s been hard since you broke up with your first boyfriend… but you’ll make it.” Cassidy’s mom took her daughter’s chin and turned her face so their eyes would meet. “Honey, I went through God knows how many men in my years. It just so happens that I made the right decision sometime along the way.” She indicated the car parked on the driveway outside; Cassidy’s father honked the horn and stuck his head out of the driver’s window, grinning.

“We’ll be home after midnight Cassidy. I’d better not catch you awake!”

Cassidy laughed and gave her father a wave. She then began to nudge her mother out the door. “Come on mom, dad’s waiting, and you know how he is when he really wants to go somewhere.” The two exchanged smiles and a quick goodbye kiss before Cassidy’s mother sauntered up to the waiting car and got in on the passenger side. The vehicle pulled out of the driveway; Cassidy’s father honked the horn in salute, and the Volvo sped off down the street. Cassidy sighed and shut her front door with a dull thud.

Off to the land of homework, I suppose, she thought, remembering her mother’s instructions.

~ An Hour Later ~

Cassidy looked out the enormous window of her bedroom. The glass reached from floor to ceiling, and gave one an excellent view of her sprawling front yard. With a sigh, Cassidy went back to reviewing her Trigonometry homework, leaning back against the frilled pillows on her bed. She was almost one hundred percent sure she had gotten every answer correct, but she wanted to double check anyways. A mistake in her calculations caught her eye, and she immediately reached for her eraser to fix the problem. Her hand closed around something cool and smooth; she drew her hand back with a startled gasp. Cassidy then realized that the object she had just caressed was her cell phone. She blinked.

Wait… didn’t I put that on my dresser?

Cassidy’s gaze shot to her bedside table, quickly scanning its contents. Her pink chic lamp, a small clock/radio, her glasses, and several assorted hair clips lay scattered across the top of the bureau. With a shrug, she replaced her cell phone back upon the dresser.

I’m probably just imagining things. My brain hurts from the long problems Mr. Gradey gave us for homework this afternoon. This thought reminded her of her eraser, and she located it among the folds of her bed covers. A few quick strokes and the problem was fixed. Cassidy glanced at her clock/radio again. The vintage-style numbers indicated that the time was 8:59.

“Ack! House starts in one minute!” Cassidy threw her books and papers on her bed, grabbed her glasses from off her dresser, and ran down the staircase outside her bedroom door. She managed to turn on the TV in her living room just in time to catch the drama’s opening scenes.

“Phew! A close one…” The introduction cut to a commercial, and Cassidy realized she was hungry. She strolled into the kitchen and immediately set about making popcorn. As she listened to the fluffy kernels explode in her microwave, a different sort of sound reached her ears. It sounded like music. Cassidy frowned and walked out of the dining area, trying to distinguish where the noise was coming from. Pinpointing the direction of the tune to be coming from her father’s study, she made her way down her parents’ hallway. She pushed open the third door on her left and peered timidly into the room. There on the beautifully carved mahogany desk was Cassidy’s cell phone, playing a cheerful high-pitched melody, its status light flashing vigorously. Cassidy blinked several times and tried to make sense of the situation.

But I put it on my dresser… I’m sure of it this time!

Feeling silly because of her sudden fear, Cassidy strode angrily into the study, seized her cell phone, and stomped back out, slamming the door behind her roughly. All of a sudden the smell of burning popcorn assaulted Cassidy’s nose.

“Oh no!” she ran back up the hall and through the living room, tossing her cell onto the couch in front of the forgotten TV. Praying silently to herself that the fire alarm wouldn’t go off, Cassidy stopped the automatic timer and pulled the hot bag of corn kernels out of the microwave. She immediately tossed the fiery container onto the kitchen counter, waving her burning fingertips in the air. She opened one of the drawers and extracted a pair of oven mitts. Using the thick padding to protect her stinging hands, she grasped the hot popcorn and rushed out the front door. She shook the bag and pulled at the buttery corners, revealing the blackened mess within.

“Yuck! Not even a single piece still good to eat. Man…” Cassidy threw the wasted food into the trash can on the side of her house and went back inside. She sulkily tossed the mitts back in their drawer and slumped into her living room, dropping on the couch in a huff. She looked at the TV screen.

Still a commercial? They make those so long nowadays…

A quick glance at the antique clock on the west wall of the living room confirmed Cassidy’s mounting suspicion: she had missed the first ten minutes of the show. Cassidy swore and slapped the couch angrily with her right hand. Just then the face of Hugh Laurie appeared on the TV screen, and Cassidy, forgetting her frustration, stretched out on the cushions and grabbed a nearby pillow to rest her chin on. The rest of the hour passed without incident, save poor Wilson’s leg being bashed by an angry House’s cane.

As the previews to the next episode of House were rolling, Cassidy realized with a start that she still hadn’t emptied the dishwasher. She stood up from the couch with a groan and turned off the TV with the universal remote. A few broad strides had her standing before her family’s trusty old Kenmore dishwasher. She proceeded to open the dishwasher’s door and remove several cups, glasses, and assorted silverware. Placing these items on the kitchen counter, a sudden blink of light caught Cassidy’s eye and caused her to jump in surprise. After realizing that it was just the shiny glint off a neatly polished wine glass, she laughed softly to herself and spun around to put the utensils away. There, lying on the top of the stove, was her cell phone. Its status light flashed red, indicating that she had received either a text message or a call. She fumed silently as she set the items in her hands down on the counter and picked up her phone. A tap of one of the buttons… the screen said she had one missed alert. It was a text message from a phone number Cassidy did not recognize.

Fr: 786-217-4003
----------------------------
What are you doing at home alone?
----------------------------
9:43pm Tues, Nov 20

Cassidy shot a quick glance out her front window. She could vaguely see the street that ran in front of her house, as well as the light pole that stood in her front yard. The circle of light cast by the fluorescent bulbs revealed the road to be empty. A slight shiver ran down Cassidy’s spine. She had no desire to communicate with strange people who knew her cell phone number. Cassidy deleted the message and proceeded to make sure that all the doors and windows in her house were securely shut. After reassuring herself that her house was locked up tight, she turned off all the lights downstairs and climbed the stairs to her room on the third floor.

Mom will be mad if I don’t do the dishes… but if I explain what happened I’m sure she’ll understand.

Just then the house phone rang, startling Cassidy severely. After shaking herself to relieve her body of the sudden shock, she made her way downstairs again, taking great care not to run into furniture and other odd ends in the dark. She reached the phone with a bruised knee, however, and proceeded to pull the cordless communicator off its base and press the talk button.

“Hello?” she whispered breathlessly.

“Cassidy? Hey honey, it’s mom.” The sound of her mother’s voice calmed Cassidy as she cradled the phone under one ear.

“Is everything alright?” her mother continued.

“Yeah yeah everything’s okay. I was just about to do the dishwasher and take a shower.” Cassidy listened to the loud music blaring in the background over the line. “What exactly were you going to do tonight?”

Cassidy’s mother laughed. “Oh honey, your father loves reggae. You know that! We’re at a concert!”

Cassidy rolled her eyes and shrugged. “Whatever.”

“Now don’t be disrespectful young lady. Make sure you have everything done by the time we get home.”

“Yes mom.” The line went silent. Cassidy held the phone out in front of her and frowned at it. A second eye-rolling. and the phone went back on its receiver.

Strange. Usually mom says something like ‘I love you’ or ‘don’t stay up late’. Maybe her connection just died. Oh well…

Cassidy glanced in the direction of the dishwasher. An uneasy feeling began to grow in the pit of her stomach as she watched the glassware sparkle eerily in the light from the fixture outside. She shrugged and went back to her room. Flopping down on her bed, she looked at her clock/radio again. It read 10:25.

Time for a shower.

She quickly gathered her assortment of bathing materials and headed down the hall to a door just outside and to the left of her room. The shower was soothing, and Cassidy left the bathroom in a state of simple bliss. Her slippers made smart tapping noises on the wood floor as she made her way back to her bedroom. Dumping a bottle of hairspray and a brush on her bedspread, she turned and went down the stairs to put her dirty clothes in the laundry hamper, located outside of the garage door. The small plastic can was quite a ways from the safety of her room, and Cassidy was second-guessing her decision to attempt the journey anyway. She was about to retreat back to her happy place when she faintly heard the sound her cell phone made when she received a text. After looking about rapidly, she realized that the tune was coming from the pocket of her robe. Hand shaking uncontrollably, Cassidy reached into the fuzzy compartment and drew out her cell. She pressed the back button and waited for the screen to alight.

Fr: 786- 217-4003
---------------------------
That color looks beautiful on you. May I come in?
---------------------------
10:59pm Tues, Nov 20

Cassidy suppressed a scream as she shook involuntarily with fright. Without even a single glance at her front window, she bolted up the stairs, tore into her room and slammed the door shut behind her, turning the lock as far left as it would go. She then frantically reached for the string that controlled her blinds and gave it a firm tug. A corner of the drape swept several porcelain figures off her desk. The statuettes shattered upon the floor, scattering pieces of sharp glazed pottery everywhere. One of the pieces buried itself in Cassidy’s exposed ankle, and she cried out in pain, stumbling against her bed. The sing-song voice of her phone’s text alert frightened her all the more, the sleek screen brightening to allow Cassidy to see the message printed out on it. She struggled to read the blurred words as her vision was obscured by her tears.

-------------------------
I’m going to ask you one more time, Cassidy. May I come in?
11:02pm Tues, Nov 20

Cassidy shook her head vehemently, sniffing and shouting in a loud and distressed voice: “No! No you can’t come in! I won’t let you in! Leave me alone!”

The cell phone vibrated, as if in anger, and revealed its message to the terrified girl.

So be it. I’ll break the door down.
11:03pm Tues, Nov 20

A splintering crash sounded from downstairs. Cassidy screamed and struggled to her feet. The ominous echoing of heavy boots on wooden flooring rang throughout the house. The sound drew near to the stairs; the first step groaned loudly in protest, as if it could not hold the weight of the person stepping on it. Cassidy screamed even louder and began to back away from her bedroom door. Her cell phone vibrated again.

I’m coming, Cassidy. I’m coming to get you.
11:05pm Tues, Nov 20

The footsteps sounded louder and louder as they mounted each step one at a time. Cassidy continued to back slowly away from her door, watching it with wide eyes and finding herself so frightened she no longer had the ability to scream. All of a sudden, the pounding stopped. Cassidy scarcely dared to breathe.

BOOM!

Cassidy’s bedroom door shuddered violently under the fierce blow it had received. Her cell phone hummed once again.

------------------------
Unlock the door Cassidy.
------------------------
11:07pm Tues, Nov 20

“NO!” She cried out in utter horror. “NO NO NO NO NO!”

Cassidy’s cell phone rang out, sounding its cheerful melody again. Cassidy glanced down at the screen, shaking fitfully.

------------------------
So be it. : )
------------------------
11:08pmTues, Nov 20

The force of the next blow shattered the door instantly. A thousand splinters showered over Cassidy, most of them burying themselves in her flesh. The sheer velocity of the attack caused Cassidy to reel backwards. With a screech she crashed through the floor-to-ceiling window on the front wall of her room, plummeting three stories to the ground. There was a dull thud, then she shuddered and lay still.

Next to her, where it had landed on the grass after accompanying her fall, Cassidy’s cell phone sounded into the night.

A little while longer; hold out until it's done.
There's nothing left to it save ending the life of one.
Perversion is my reasoning and blood is on the wall,
It's always been a hobby to watch the bodies fall.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Twilight_Path

Use it by all means, mate. ^^

Thanks Lectori Salutem (wow, that's a mouthful... lulz).
Yeah I suppose it is rather mild, scary-ness wise. XD
It's good for telling in the dark though... eeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiiiiiiiiilll...

Thanks for reading, both of you :)

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
I lol'd when I read "watch the bodies fall". I'm such a twisted bastard.

But it was very well-made, albeit not very scary. But it could be with some work, including taking out some of the cliches. I did wish I knew who that guy was.

Twilight_Path

I lol'd when I read "watch the bodies fall". I'm such a twisted bastard.

But it was very well-made, albeit not very scary. But it could be with some work, including taking out some of the cliches. I did wish I knew who that guy was.

Aw man I was practicing my evil laugh the whole time. It's crazy some things I can come up with...

Anyways, lulz yeah I was kinda lazy with this one. I kinda modified an old scary story for the ending. (You: CHEATER!!! Me: How dare you call me names! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of... oh forget it.)

As for the guy, you'll just have to keep wishing. XD

Who Me?

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww shucks!
I am so flattered that you wrote something so, so, EVIL for me!
^not sarcasm by the way....
Anyways, awesome job!!!!
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back