• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► Future Games

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Johnny

Expect these games coming before KH4 in a couple of years.

Birth by Sleep 2 featuring Aqua/Ven/Terra exploring the Dark Realm worlds for clues to finding Sora.

Dream Drop Distance 2 - Riku delving into his own dreams, Kairi's dreams, and Yozora's dreams with the help of Master Yensid and Fairy Godmother.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days 2 - Axel, Saix, Roxas, Xion game based on searching xion and roxas's memories for clues on where Sora is.

Project Xehanort - Prequel game to learning on how he turned evil, and why Master of Master's chose him.

Kingdom Hearts 4 - Riku and the Trio's find that Sora is now in a new reality which we know as the Final Fantasy worlds. First KH game with Final Fantasy based worlds. Nomura gets to use his work that he once wanted on 13.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
No spoiler warnings or tags, nice seeing you.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'd hold off on the FF worlds in a potential KH4. At best we would get worlds based off Versus 13.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I think I want a Twilight Town game even more than I already did now that
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Johnny

I heard that the days game will be also about axel and gang finding out more about lea and isa's 3rd friend from the castle from the secret reports.

There also will likely be another spin off game with the Disney crew (Mickey/Donald/Goofy) visiting past worlds looking for Sora.

So expect many MANY spin off games before we actually get KH4. Likely wont come out till 2025+.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
I heard that the days game will be also about axel and gang finding out more about lea and isa's 3rd friend from the castle from the secret reports.

There also will likely be another spin off game with the Disney crew (Mickey/Donald/Goofy) visiting past worlds looking for Sora.

So expect many MANY spin off games before we actually get KH4. Likely wont come out till 2025+.
Or 2023, depending if it's ONLY 1 KH game coming out before KH4, cause Nomura previously said they were developing a KH title that is set to be released before KH4. Plus Square Enix is still using the Unreal Engine 4, and they can still reuse the character models (e.g. Sora, Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, Roxas, Ventus, Aqua, The Foretellers, Xigbar etc..) and worlds (e.g. Twilight Town, Radiant Garden, Destiny Islands, Toy Box, Arendelle) from Kingdom Hearts III for the next KH games without restarting from scratch again so development will move a lot faster than in previous KH titles. However when it comes to the new Disney/Original worlds and characters they create, it may take them another year or two to develop. I do expect the next new KH game that it's in development and coming sooner for the PS5 (or whichever console it's releasing) will likely come out around mid-late 2021 or 2022, mainly the latter as it's the 20th anniversary of the first KH game and the KH franchise and going by the release pattern on how they release a new Kingdom Hearts game, it's usually 1-2 or 3-4 years for a new KH game (depending of the KH title) to come out.

Here's a breakdown for the development for the KH games:
  • The first KH game started development started in the year 2000 and ended in late 2001/early 2002 (Jan./Feb. 2002) which means development lasted for 2 years. For Kingdom Hearts II, development started after the release of KH Final Mix in December 2002 and lasted until mid-late 2005 (2 1/2-3 years).
  • Not sure how long development for Chain of Memories, Coded, and 358/2 Days took, but I think the former started sometime after the release of the first KH game and before KH2 entered Development.
  • Development for Birth By Sleep started since 2005 and lasted until late 2009 (4 years), Dream Drop Distance started since early 2010 following the release of BBS and lasted until late 2011/early 2012 (1 1/2-2 years).
  • Finally, Kingdom Hearts III had the most interesting development for a KH game, as development started since late 2012/early 2013 but due to a switch from Square's Luminous engine to the Unreal Engine 4 in October 2014, development for KH3 restarted under the new engine up until November 2018 (5-6 years of KH3 being in development (1-2 years under Luminous; 4.25 years under the Unreal Engine 4).
  • Regarding the II.8 Final Chapter Prologue, I'm not sure when development started but I think development for that title started around the same time that KH3 switched into the Unreal Engine 4 (October 2014), even the Graphics from 0.2 Birth By Sleep seems to suggest it was the first KH title that the team were testing on and the graphics for this game looked uncanny when compared to the Unreal Engine graphics of the X Back Cover movie and Kingdom Hearts III.

Also, most new Kingdom Hearts games usually are announced at the Tokyo Game Show (e.g. Kingdom Hearts II, Coded, 358/2 Days, BBS, the HD Collections and II.8 Final Chapter Prologue), but their were some exceptions to this, such as Dream Drop Distance (previously announced as KH: 3D) and Kingdom Hearts III were announced at E3 2010 and E3 2013 respectively. It's possible we might get the announcement for the new KH games (aside from Project Xehanort) during the June Orchestra event/E3 2020 or Tokyo Game Show 2020.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Awards
I think it's incredibly likely that the next game after Project Xehanort will be a Roxas/Xion/Axel/Saix game on Switch that'll primarily focus on the search for Subject X and probably end on some cliffhanger as to her true identity which'll lead into events for KH4.

Then probably a BBS spiritual successor with TAV encountering the Foretellers and delving into Ventus' past and the Age of Fairytales. They'll have rivalries with Larxene and Marluxia, further tease Demyx's true identity and properly explore the history of Daybreak Town and Scala Ad Caelum. They'll realize at the end that their old foe, Braig is behind many events, but ultimately be unable to stop him, and possibly inadvertently advance his plans, leading into KH4.

The ultimate lead-in to KH4 will almost definitely be a spiritual successor to DDD hopefully featuring Riku and Kairi equally. They'll explore each other's dreams, fears, hopes, and pasts, rekindling their lost friendship and learn how to work as a formidable team of their own. They'll explore more sleeping worlds and hopefully resolve loose threads from Disney worlds that weren't really resolved in previous games (Tron in DDD, the split Toy Box worlds in KH3). They'll re-encounter Xigbar as Luxu and ultimately be aided by Luxord who'll send them through a TWEWY-esque trial in Shibuya that'll finally lead Riku and Kairi to Yozora, who's able to assist them in rescuing Sora from his banishment to the Final World.

Then, finally, KH4. Probably in like 2025 or 2026 lol.

There's no way we'll get much of Mickey, Donald, and Goofy before KH4. They'll just be relegated to contractually obligatory cameos.

The heroes will probably all get brief interactions with each other through the Gummi phones, but otherwise will have pretty minimal involvement with each other's individual stories until KH4 possibly reunites them again and hopefully finally plays around with the dynamics a bit. Until KH4, the series does need to do some other midquels and work hard to develop the characters in exciting new ways, because as of the end of KH3, many of the characters either feel paper thin, or as if they no longer have anything to offer. ReMind made it clear that everyone's still an active player, so Nomura & co need to really step up their characterizations over the next several titles!

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Then, finally, KH4. Probably in like 2025 or 2026 lol.
Probably 2023 if you ask me. Nomura previously said they were developing a KH title that is set to be released before KH4. Secondly, Square Enix is still using the Unreal Engine 4, and they can still reuse the character models (e.g. Sora, Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, Roxas, Ventus, Aqua, The Foretellers, Xigbar etc..) and worlds (e.g. Twilight Town, Radiant Garden, Destiny Islands, Toy Box, Arendelle) from Kingdom Hearts III for the next KH games without restarting from scratch again so development will move a lot faster than in previous KH titles. However when it comes to the new Disney/Original worlds and characters they create, it may take them another year or two to develop. I do expect the next new KH game that it's in development and coming sooner for the PS5 (or whichever console it's releasing) will likely come out around mid-late 2021 or 2022, mainly the latter as it's the 20th anniversary of the first KH game and the KH franchise, with KH4 in 2023. And going by the release pattern on how they release a new Kingdom Hearts game, it's usually 1-2 or 3-4 years for a new KH game (depending of the KH title) to come out.

It's possible we might get the announcement for the new KH games (aside from Project Xehanort) during the June Orchestra event/E3 2020 or Tokyo Game Show 2020.

theshadowman

Awards
I feel like the next game should be the game that deals with all that, with the ending getting Sora back, then KH4 is back to SDG adventure. You know, like have it be a large adventure with the game jumping between the different groups or a la BBS and choose a group of characters to follow first with multiple playthrough?

I’m a simple man, I just want the SDG trio gameplay again.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
You know what, I'm putting it out there, there could be an MMO to capitalize on XIV's success.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I'm not saying it's likely, but someone higher up in Square could be seeing the dollar signs & wanting another console MMO.

GreyouTT

Awards
Nomura said we'd only have one before 4, and that there is another thing that needs to be told. So really only two games at most. And coincidentally, he said they had two new teams.

theshadowman

Awards
Nomura said we'd only have one before 4, and that there is another thing that needs to be told. So really only two games at most. And coincidentally, he said they had two new teams.
So what you’re saying is, coincidentally, it’s time for me to go super hype? I like this thought.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

I remember him saying at least one game before KH4, but I think it'd be a good idea for only one. Cause if Nomura is saying the next KH game is coming "surprisingly soon" (assuming this isn't Project Xehanort), then it might be that game. I always thought it'd be 2023 until the next game at least, but who knows.

Plus if there's a total of four KH teams now, that means they can churn out games a LOT quicker than they used to. Add to the fact that we had THIS come out near the end of October: https://ca.ign.com/articles/2019/10/28/square-enix-is-hiring-for-more-kingdom-hearts-staff

...And I'm willing to bet that they've already made some progress regarding the development. However, I don't expect an announcement until the game is near completion, because I believe Square has said that they don't plan on doing it anymore (and they'll be all the more better off for it).

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

The way Limit Cut ended there seems to be 4 story lines in progress and we know that there'll be a new game currently called Project Xehanort, that might end up being called "Kingdom Hearts: No Heart" based of the hint of the title.

Personally I'd like it if they'd make a game featuring Kairi and Riku as they travel through the realm of sleep to trace Sora. According to the Fairy godmother, besides Riku and Kairi's dreams there's another who's dream could lead them to Sora. So it could be a 3 character scenario game.

I'd actually be down for a game that combines some of the story lines introduced in Limit Cut. For me personally I'd ideally want one game about Riku & Kairi looking for Sora and another telling the other three stories. With Roxas, Aqua and Mickey being the playable characters of the second game. But I won't complain if each of these 4 story lines gets it's own game, unless they're mobile games.

I know we now have 4 development teams for KH, but I have the feeling 2 of them might be mobile game development teams, seeing we have Project Xehanort and Union X on mobile. So at most I see one or two console games being made before KH4.

I've generally always been a fan of the idea of there being continuing lines/series of games focusing on the different trios, with occasional crossovers. Still I feel that they wouldn't want as many non-numbered games between KH3 and KH4, so getting all 5 games seems unlikely.
[/SPIOLERS]

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
The way Limit Cut ended there seems to be 4 story lines in progress and we know that there'll be a new game currently called Project Xehanort, that might end up being called "Kingdom Hearts: No Heart" based of the hint of the title.

That's one letter and character short of both the English and Japanese titles.

English: 2 words, 8 letters
Japanese: 2 words, 3 characters each

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
That's one letter and character short of both the English and Japanese titles.

English: 2 words, 8 letters
Japanese: 2 words, 3 characters each
Whoops seems I forgot that Heart is a 5 letter word and not a 6 letter one, guess I was thinking "hearts". I just figured the name would be something easily deductible from Xehanort. But seeing the one that seemed obvious to me isn't on the table I'll just weight and see.

ZeVaine

Awards
Whoops seems I forgot that Heart is a 5 letter word and not a 6 letter one, guess I was thinking "hearts". I just figured the name would be something easily deductible from Xehanort. But seeing the one that seemed obvious to me isn't on the table I'll just weight and see.

Another X (X referring to "ki" or "chi") seems to be the dominant guess on twitter, from what I've seen.

GreyouTT

Awards
Another X (X referring to "ki" or "chi") seems to be the dominant guess on twitter, from what I've seen.

It works as an audible pun, but X (Greek or English) is still just a letter and not an actual word. Not to mention it breaks the JP hint where it's three characters in two words.

Back