• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gameinformer review

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I got my magazine, the rating was 8.25.

Also, Nintendo Power rated the game on equal caliber to RE:coded, 8.0, because of the story they couldn't comprehend.

theirlosthearts

Awards
Since when did Gameinformer give scores of hundredths? I think that's the page number.

Also, Nintendo Power rated the game on equal caliber to RE:coded, 8.0, because of the story they couldn't comprehend.

Nooo, they don't need to understand the story to properly rate the game. The fact that a lot of KH games came out on non-nintendo systems and that Nintendo Power staff members spend almost all of their time playing only Nintendo games doesn't mean that they might be at a disadvantage for reviewing KH3D. Nooo, not at all. /sarcasm

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Since when did Gameinformer give scores of hundredths? I think that's the page number.

Nooo, they don't need to understand the story to properly rate the game. The fact that a lot of KH games came out on non-nintendo systems and that Nintendo Power staff members spend almost all of their time playing only Nintendo games doesn't mean that they might be at a disadvantage for reviewing KH3D. Nooo, not at all. /sarcasm

Except the gameplay is the main point of the review, they could have given it a slightly higher rating to separate it from the series' most repetitive game, which had a worse story than Dream Drop Distance.

Also, the Memento system gave them all they needed.

theirlosthearts

Awards
Except the gameplay is the main point of the review, they could have given it a slightly higher rating to separate it from the series' most repetitive game, which had a worse story than Dream Drop Distance.

I was expressing unhappiness with NP over their inability to understand something that ten-year-olds understand. (sorry if it seemed like I was bashing your post, I wasn't).

Also, the Memento system gave them all they needed.

It probably can't replace actually playing the games though. They were still incompetent for not putting forth enough effort to understand the story.

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
I'm more shocked that steve posted a serious comment

haha i know, it's so weird. lmfao.

but seriously:

i got a suggestion for everybody. look at yourself in the mirror. and explain, out loud, the plot to all the kingdom hearts games. while doing this, time yourself to see how long it takes to realize you sound, and look, like a complete kupoing moron

honestly, if you -- hell, anybody here -- can post a coherent explanation to the story of the entire kingdom hearts series, i'll admit to not being that smart. i love the games, and i do, to an extent, understand the story, but it's so unnecessarily complex and full of plot holes that it's more like i just gave up trying to care instead of "not getting" it. but sure, i'm not that smart, either. this game is honestly pretty deep. maybe i just don't get it.

Last edited:

Villen

It's not that the story is "deep", it's just out of our comfort zone. The key points in the series managed to use familiar words to different things, the universe runs differently. It's not just in a "magical" way - there's a great degree of surrealism and symbolism. That's why we can't say nomura is trying to teach us a moral or a lesson, it would be pointless since things are different. Also, Taoism. Besides Sora being a Christian figure, the series is veeeeery based on taoism, to the realms to the dark and light and the yin & yang. So, I think is just out of the comfort zone to the ocidental fans.

But it's not deep or philosophical, it's just enjoyable. If we manage to overcome the culture shock we can manage to follow it pretty good.

Awards
The plot of the series as a whole isn't very complicated. It's just a story about heros trying to stop the bad guy from becoming godlike.

Sinker

Awards
I think probably the quickest and best explanation of the key points of the plot of all the games from Birth by Sleep to KH 2 is a video on YouTube called "Kingdom Hearts in 10 minutes." While there are some inaccuracies and they act pretty goofy, I still think they did a good job of explaining it in a nutshell. When you actually look at the story as a whole, I honestly don't think it's that convoluted, but then again I'm an overly-analytic, OCD honors student. I do feel that NP probably shouldn't have compared it to coded, they're nothing alike.
On topic, the 94 was probably the page number and how did it get game of the month if it was only an 8.5.
Sorry if there is any weird typos, I'm on my phone right now.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
The NP writers have expressed in several columns that not only do they play plenty of non-Nintendo games, but they play KH in particular. I can track down quotes if you'd like.

I was expressing unhappiness with NP over their inability to understand something that ten-year-olds understand. (sorry if it seemed like I was bashing your post, I wasn't).
I'm gonna disagree again. Not because I think the NP writers are geniuses, but because I myself (a fairly intelligent college student who has had no problem keeping up with the series plot so far), was completely left in the dust by KH3D's string of incoherent reveals. The plot of DDD isn't all that complex if you talk it through with the right people and know the series well, it is just given to the player far too quickly in a way which is difficult to understand. Explaining all the rules of time travel at the same time as revealing a giant time-travel conspiracy is a bit much. And what is/isn't a dream isn't made very clear.

It probably can't replace actually playing the games though. They were still incompetent for not putting forth enough effort to understand the story.
I will agree that the Chronicles in no way replace playing the games. In fact, I'm not sure even just playing the games once will get you the info you need to understand DDD. Nomura reveals a LOT of important stuff in interviews. But incompetent is a little harsh. There comes a point when a plot isn't worth the effort needed to understand it. And I would say DDD toes that line pretty well. Not all gamers want to put in the large amount of time we here at KHInsider do to discuss every event, plothole, implication, etc. They can't rate a game like everyone is a hardcore series fan. Just because NP deducted a few points for what they consider a bad story doesn't make them incompetent. It makes them good reviewers. Even if you do think they are a wrong (which is completely your own opinion). In a series which heavily relies on plot, story should factor into the score pretty heavily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back