• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gameinformer's top 200 games of all time

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xnairb

Website
theredsquirtle.blogspot.com
I wasn't really sure where I was supposed to put this, but since the FOKH is supposed to be the place for general KH related topics, I decided to put it here. In the most recent issue of Gameinformer, their 200th issue, they decided to rattle off the top 200 games of all time. Games from Tetris to Gears of War are on there, and it only makes sense that Kingdom Hearts made the cut.

Kingdom Hearts came in at 79, with the following description:
"Squaresoft and Disney Interactive found a winning combination in the eyes of consumers and critics with Kingdom Hearts. Stunning are direction united familiar yet foreign worlds, and Final Fantasy staples joined iconic Disney characters in a struggle against darkness. With addictive and evolving action/adventure gameplay, Kingdom Hearts managed to uphold Disney's wholesome mantra while engaging the most hardcore of gamers."

Kingdom Hearts II came in at 130, with the following description:
"Kingdom Hearts II successfully abolished platforming in favor of unadulterated action. The sequel also fruitfully retained the trademark themes of friendship and self-discovery so endearing to fans. Due to the carefully crafted sequel, Kingdom Hearts has flourished in popularity and remains one of Square Enix's most adored franchises to date."

If this has been stated already, please let me know. I just got this issue (and in case anyone is wondering, I got the Final Fantasy cover XD) and I think it's great that KH both 1 & 2 are in the top 200 games of all time.

Xnairb

Website
Just to give you guys an idea, Kingdom Hearts is ahead of games like Super Smash Bros. Melee, God of War 2, Gears of War, and Halo 2. Kingdom Hearts 2 is ahead of games like Assassin's Creed, LittleBigPlanet, and...Pong, just to name a few.

Igshar

?The Jack of all Trades?
Awards
Just to give you guys an idea, Kingdom Hearts is ahead of games like Super Smash Bros. Melee, God of War 2, Gears of War, and Halo 2. Kingdom Hearts 2 is ahead of games like Assassin's Creed, LittleBigPlanet, and...Pong, just to name a few.

I'm thinking either the list is out of order or the people who made it don't understand great games. >_>; I looked through the list and many of those games (142 - Assassin's Creed) are down much farther than they should be while others (4 - GTA 3) are up much higher than they should be.

I also find it unfair to compare such distinctly different genres of video games, but that's just me. I mean... How do you compare Sonic the Hedgehog for the SEGA Genesis to Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy VII? :\

(also, just to say~ XII made the list, but VIII didn't~)

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards
KH2 is listed at 130 and neither of the Golden Sun games were even listed... =|

Xnairb

Website
From most of the descriptions, I'm pretty sure they base the list on how much of an impact they had on the gaming community. Putting Disney and Square characters in the same game is quite the impact. So naturally, newer games wont be very high on the list. Maybe if, after CoM, we saw a slew of action/adventure/RPG/card games, CoM would have made it.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I also find it unfair to compare such distinctly different genres of video games, but that's just me. I mean... How do you compare Sonic the Hedgehog for the SEGA Genesis to Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy VII? :\

I agree, actually.

I've always been fonder of the idea of dividing the rankings by genres (shooters, RPG's, platformers, racing, fighters, etc etc) in lists like these. Still completely opinion but it makes more sense to me.

Not that it really matters, most "top x games of all time" lists are bullshit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back