• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gametrailers doing a Kingdom Hearts Timeline

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

leonidus

For those who may or may not know, Gametrailers has started a new series last year called Timeline which covers an entire series in its timeline, connects it and tries to provide a simple(st possible) way to present it to viewers. The first episode covered Zelda and, in my book, it was seriously well done. The reviews and the amount of views it got in a few months (well over a million) show that it is really a wonderfully realized show. If you haven't seen the Zelda episode, I'd highly recommend it. As someone who played little and finished none of the Zelda games, it drew me in and piqued my curiosity. Link :)rolleyes:):

The Legend of Zelda | Full Episodes | GameTrailers

Now they've teased us that the new episode will be about KH. And by what I saw in the Zelda episode, we have a lot to look forward to. The teaser for the Kingdom Hearts Timeline is here:

Timeline Video - Kingdom Hearts - Teaser | GameTrailers

Haeralis

Remains of the Judgement
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Metal Gear needs it the most. I played every Metal Gear Solid title except for Portable Ops and I still don't really get the story. Of course I've only played each game once.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I worry that they might mess it up... hopefully not!

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
So... after watching that video, I've realized I might just die when I see a trailer for KHIII. Seriously! That was just a (honestly well made) fanmade beta thing, and the feels and nostalgia still almost crippled me. I cannot even fathom what the epicness of a KHIII trailer or opening would evoke in me.

And on subject, I hope they do a good job with the timeline. It's very difficult to tell the entire story of Kingdom Hearts without confusing others, or confusing yourself. Kudos to them if they can pull it off, and remember all the important details. Aaaaaand hopefully they'll have done their research. I'm so sick of people saying Xion was a Replica of Roxas, when she was supposed to be one of Sora. Silly KH wikipedia messing that up. LOL.

Dr_Mario64

The Zelda vid was extremely good and easy to follow, so I'm super excited to see what they'll do with Kingdom Hearts. That being said, I hope they elaborate on the concept of Nobodies and Xehanort's role, because people will be completely lost if they don't.

WaveK89

Kudos to the creator(s) of that teaser video! Anyway, I am certainly interested in seeing how they do this one. Makes me wonder if it should be now or after KH3. I suppose doing it now could really help some get a good grasp on where the series is now and be prepared for KH3.

Shadow_

Banned
Awards
This is kind of cool, looking forward to the timeline this spring :) I'm so happy that Kingdom Hearts is getting attention again, it seems so long ago.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Makes me a little anxious if they'll be able to do it successfully, but should be interesting to watch regardless!

Twilightheaven

Twilight Warrior of the Stars
Awards
That dearly beloved theme at the end of the Zelda timeline episode still gives me goosebumps.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
That teaser was well done. I've only barely touched the Zelda series, so I couldn't say whether or not the information they provided was accurate, but the way they were speaking (fairly subjectively) and spanning all four corners of the global possibilities, they seemed to be taking it very seriously.

I only got into like a half hour, but I want to finish it. We'll just see about the KH podcast, but I'll definitely be tuning in for that.

destiny seeker

Seeker of the Future
Awards
Cool. Both the dearly beloved and the teaser. I'm really looking forward to it now.

Awards
I'm interested to see how in-depth they go here. The KH timeline is a different beast than the Zelda timeline, you can't really pad out an entire half hour discussion based on the chronology of the games alone. As complex as we make the series out to be, and despite the fact that the games have jumped all over the timeline, they're pieced together pretty solidly. No one's debating where BbS, for example, stands in the timeline. Yes, 358/2 Days might be a tad confusing to more casual players given its overlap with the other games, but that overlap is very clearly defined in the game itself--literally to the day.

Even with DDD introducing time travel, it's not like it overly-complicates the timeline (yet anyway). It's the actual time travel mechanic (HOW the characters time travel and the rules by which they must abide) which makes it confusing, but I don't think it hurts the timeline all too much.

So the only way I can think of for them to provide a thorough discussion of the debates over the timeline would probably center on specific events rather than entire games. For instance, there was confusion for some time as to how long Xehanort was an apprentice under Ansem. It was stated that BbS takes place 10 years before KH1, and according to KH1's script, Radiant Garden fell 9 years ago. Yet Ansem said he had nursed Xehanort back to health "some years ago," which would be impossible given that he would have been an apprentice for at most one year. While ultimately I think stuff like that is just a matter of fact-checking error on the writers' parts and/or mistranslations, it did lend itself to some interesting debates.

I guess the problem with this approach is that most of these ambiguities of the timeline are actually focused on the order of events that occur in the gap between BbS and KH1. I really don't think they're going to be examining that even though it's probably what would yield the best discussion. Other than that... I don't know. There are some consistency and plausibility issues when you line up TAV's individual timelines and compare them with each other, and Days also has some issues (for instance, if the official timeline is to be believed it would suggest that Sora went through the first 11 floors in 2 days but took 3 weeks in the final 2 floors lol). Again, though I don't think they'll go into any of that, so I'm interested in how they'll approach this.

I'm so sick of people saying Xion was a Replica of Roxas, when she was supposed to be one of Sora. Silly KH wikipedia messing that up. LOL.

Oh man, forgot about this. That originated from misconceptions about what Axel said in one of his secret reports.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
So the only way I can think of for them to provide a thorough discussion of the debates over the timeline would probably center on specific events rather than entire games. For instance, there was confusion for some time as to how long Xehanort was an apprentice under Ansem.
I could see the timeline video primarily revolving around key events of the series, but not as a means to clarify certain controversies such as Xehanort's Apprenticeship. Rather, I see much more potential in correlating key events with other events in ways someone wouldn't have considered before, such as how Riku/Aqua could summon Destiny's Embrace, or how XH visiting DI was possibly because of Terra's memories of Riku. I'll especially be surprised if they don't attempt to draw connections between the Kingdom Key and the X-Blade. If they take this path, I wonder how in-depth they'll be, or if they'll be using the Ultimanias as references.

Speaking of correlating events, I kinda wanna know what your thoughts are of Sora's vulnerability to darkness in 3D being a result of his use of the KoPH. Pretty off topic, but I really like the idea to the point where I have this false hope that it gets addressed in a "theory video" such as this.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Nomura specifically brought up the possibility of Terra being the influence. Furthermore, I'd imagine that MX's memories would actually lessen the odds of XH visiting DI, since MX saw the world as a prison.

Awards
I could see the timeline video primarily revolving around key events of the series, but not as a means to clarify certain controversies such as Xehanort's Apprenticeship. Rather, I see much more potential in correlating key events with other events in ways someone wouldn't have considered before, such as how Riku/Aqua could summon Destiny's Embrace, or how XH visiting DI was possibly because of Terra's memories of Riku. I'll especially be surprised if they don't attempt to draw connections between the Kingdom Key and the X-Blade. If they take this path, I wonder how in-depth they'll be, or if they'll be using the Ultimanias as references.

When I was talking about events, I meant the timing of them. It being a discussion of the timeline after all.
Your ideas are all centered around general theorizing, there's really no reason for them to talk about something like Destiny's Embrace.

And I was just pitching those as my own belief of what would be a good discussion of the timeline. I don't think they'll actually go into those things because it'll be lost to a wider audience.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Well considering how well the Zelda one was made I'm quite looking forward to seeing what they'll do for their planed KH one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back