• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Genera state of roleplaying discussion

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheaus

Time In Perspective
Re: Reviving Roleplaying: What brought you here?

I don't really see how adding rules (at this point) would make the section any more active. If anything it's just going to make posting seem like more of a hassle than it already is. Count me as one of the users who were irate.

After a while everything just felt like it came down to people arguing pseudo-scientific bullshit, racing to come up with the coolest manifestation that was left. It all felt like unfinished, poorly written, sci-fi fan-fictions. I don't want someone to tell me that I have to write a certain number of paragraphs for a story, or format a post a certain way or any of that other shit. The best part when I began was that there really wasn't much in terms of guidelines. Everyone got better as they gained experience just by doing what they enjoyed doing.

I wrote the first portion of this post after the second, so that would explain any repetition.

I never said anything about adding rules at this current time, so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I can't say I can add you to the count either, you were so often a hindrance to other Role Players, or inactive for long stretches of time that your voice was simply unheard. There's also a bit of contradiction in posting in a thread specifically aimed at bringing life to the section and stating that you don't care where the section's future should lead.

Most of the rules I implemented are rules that exist in some capacity to this day and did lead to an increase in quality, based on what I've observed over time. Beyond that, the rules never stipulated what theme, or genre were allowed, that was simply left to the thread creator and whoever he or she accepted into the story, so please don't mix the two up. It is both an inaccurate and extremely poor assessment of the facts. Nor is it true that everyone improved simply by maintaining a base line. As a matter of fact, many members, such as yourself, refused to improve or even adhere to the rules set by specific thread creators. This behavior caused a create deal of frustration and eventually contributed to the overall stagnation of the section, which encouraged several of the more quality writers in the community to leave.

There will always be differences of opinion on how things should be done, just as there will always be someone who rejects anything they believe to be an inconvenient constraint upon them; however, for any community to survive and thrive, there must be a form of order and governance, people must feel some obligation towards one another to maintain a standard of quality which continues to improve the collective quality and efforts of the community.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards

MESMAR_RISING said:
Where do you see the section in a year? Where do you want to see it in that time?

Don't care.

Then why are you wasting our time?

Try not to take my words too harshly, but when you come into a thread designed to restore life into the section, say you don't care where the section ends up going (or, judging from your tone, even if it dies completely), then criticizes the suggestion of policing the section to enforce and encourage a certain standard of quality in posting, something that may result in a wider number of high-quality roleplays and potentially draw in new (and possibly old) roleplayers, I can't help but get a bit aggressive.

Would you rather we allow the section to continue on at its current pace? Would you rather we let the quality of the section's roleplays and their respective posts to continue to decline? Would you rather let the section continue to slip away toward an inevitable death?

Well, I don't know about you, but I plan to fight for this section, and will do so with every breath I have. Some people may become irate by enforcing a quality standard, some may even leave because of it, but it's something that must be done if this section has any hope of living.

Kiburedo

Well, I can't say any of the questions on the first page really affect me, as I've RP'd many times before, but there are some problems that I noticed. First of all, when you go to the RP section, everything is quite a mess. Things don't seem to be organized very well. So here's my ideas on what I think can be done to improve the section, as well as possibly get new members to RP. First off, RPs need to be broken up a bit more. What I mean by this is that there should be 3 threads per RP. One would be for the actual RP, another for OOCC, and the last for profiles. They should be easily distinguished. For example, say the name of the RP is simply called Legends. The names of your threads would be [RP] Legends, [OOCC] Legends, and [Profiles] Legends. This makes things much easier to navigate. Next, as this may be done already, I'm not sure, as I haven't had the chance to really scope it out first, but when a new RP is made, the title of the RP thread should be made as [Pending] until approved by a mod. Also, when there are a lot of RPs going on at once, a couple of the better/more popular ones should be stickied. Also, there needs to be a Debug category added in the RP section. This is essential for players to get together and test out their characters, allowing each other to critique and find problems in each other's OCs. If this can become too cluttered, then maybe some other system for debugging should be implemented, as I highly recommend it. Lastly, we need some sort of massive RP to draw new and old members in, as well as to get things started again. This would also provide a great example of, if the RP section would be revised and cleaned up, how RPs would work. I would be more than happy to help with this, or even GM it. Well, that's about all I can think of right now. Any thoughts?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

First off, RPs need to be broken up a bit more. What I mean by this is that there should be 3 threads per RP. One would be for the actual RP, another for OOCC, and the last for profiles. They should be easily distinguished. For example, say the name of the RP is simply called Legends. The names of your threads would be [RP] Legends, [OOCC] Legends, and [Profiles] Legends. This makes things much easier to navigate.
Generally the Signups/OOC thread becomes the profile thread anyway. Managers are encouraged to set up summary profiles of characters (such as in a table listing name, rank, weapon, etc) or link directly to the relevant post. I'm of the opinion that the only time a roleplaying project would need three threads is if there's the signup thread, then the roleplay, then the OOC discussion for accepted members, but even that isn't wholly necessary when tables or links to characters are implemented well.

Next, as this may be done already, I'm not sure, as I haven't had the chance to really scope it out first, but when a new RP is made, the title of the RP thread should be made as [Pending] until approved by a mod.
Generally when newer roleplayers make a signup thread, someone will come along and offer some advice or a tip if it's severely lacking in some regard. Formalising this process seems unnecessary when the general membership takes part in it anyway, and roleplay ideas that are truly sub-standard are few and far between. That, and while I support the idea of having mods/members more carefully monitor general discussion, that to me feels like it'd be too intrusive. The community needs the ability to improve, for sure, but I don't think denying below-average roleplays is the best way to go about it. I'd say let them have their crappy roleplay, but wherever reasonably possible offer advice and tips for improvement.

Also, when there are a lot of RPs going on at once, a couple of the better/more popular ones should be stickied.
Stickying particular roleplays and signups has been done in the past, to an extent. We do it for community projects that are open to everyone and we want everyone looking at (such as the old Shades of Blue roleplay, which a craptonne of people joined). Generally, though, roleplaying at this state isn't active enough to need popular threads stickied, plus I think it would be inevitable that some kind of subtle favouritism would leak into the system, since we know members don't apportion equal attention to all roleplayers.

Also, there needs to be a Debug category added in the RP section. This is essential for players to get together and test out their characters, allowing each other to critique and find problems in each other's OCs. If this can become too cluttered, then maybe some other system for debugging should be implemented, as I highly recommend it.
Generally, people making OC characters will received such critique when it comes to the roleplay they're taking part in. When they're developing characters totally independent of a specific roleplay, it's for battles, in which case commentary is just as open. We have the roleplaying Academy and the associated critique hall for when people want to put forth ideas for characters, roleplays, worlds and more, but few seem particularly interested in it.

Lastly, we need some sort of massive RP to draw new and old members in, as well as to get things started again. This would also provide a great example of, if the RP section would be revised and cleaned up, how RPs would work. I would be more than happy to help with this, or even GM it. Well, that's about all I can think of right now. Any thoughts?
The problem here is that new and old roleplayers have very different interests and styles, and it'd be difficult to make a roleplay that lets both of them run around freely. Typically, I get the impression the more experienced roleplayers would feel slowed down by the newer one, and the newbies might just be intimidated into inaction when they see what their elders are doing.

In addition, roleplays with more than ten people can quickly come to feel clustered and chaotic. I've been trying to think of a simple enough KH roleplay that could appeal to as wide an audience as possible, but I acknowledge that many of the older roleplayers have lost interest in most KH-format roleplays, unless there's a particular name attached to it or interesting twist upon the usual formula.

Your ideas are more than welcome, but I feel like they address the symptoms more than the cause.

MESMAR_RISING

Bronze Member
Awards

Then why are you wasting our time?

Try not to take my words too harshly, but when you come into a thread designed to restore life into the section, say you don't care where the section ends up going (or, judging from your tone, even if it dies completely), then criticizes the suggestion of policing the section to enforce and encourage a certain standard of quality in posting, something that may result in a wider number of high-quality roleplays and potentially draw in new (and possibly old) roleplayers, I can't help but get a bit aggressive.

In all honesty there's not really much anybody on this site could say that I'd take to heart. I don't see what quality you're trying to uphold when there's nobody posting. Just scanning the section itself, the only really "active" people in this section are the ones posting in this thread. Do you feel that the people who have posted in this thread need to have someone ensuring "a certain standard quality in posting"?

Would you rather we allow the section to continue on at its current pace? Would you rather we let the quality of the section's roleplays and their respective posts to continue to decline? Would you rather let the section continue to slip away toward an inevitable death?

Like I said, I don't really give this section much thought. I came back to see how things were going and maybe even take part in something if I saw anything good, but there's really nothing going on. Do I think it would be cool to see this section go back to the way it was before? Sure. Do I think that's going to happen? No.

Well, I don't know about you, but I plan to fight for this section, and will do so with every breath I have. Some people may become irate by enforcing a quality standard, some may even leave because of it, but it's something that must be done if this section has any hope of living.

Good for you.

Morpheaus

Time In Perspective

Like I said, I don't really give this section much thought. I came back to see how things were going and maybe even take part in something if I saw anything good, but there's really nothing going on. Do I think it would be cool to see this section go back to the way it was before? Sure. Do I think that's going to happen? No.

Good for you.

If nothing anyone here has to say matters to you, why would you want to return at all? It's clearly not the place you want it to be, nor does it seem as if you have anything of value to contribute to the community- negativity not being of value.

Also, you return here and behave in a crass and extremely haughty manner and have the expectation that you would be allowed to "take part in something"? Reprehensible and hilarious. Not to mention the fact that you previously had an extreme tendency towards not following the actual outlines of a character template, not actively participating in a thread, and consistently failing to meet any sort of standard for quality set by thread creators. Exactly the sort of immature behavior which discourages new and old members from returning. Your presence here seems more like a grab for attention than anything else.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

While Mesmar's made it clear he doesn't have much intention of getting directly involved in roleplays and battles, he's nevertheless offered ideas and items that could be a boon for the section's activity. As atypical as that contribution might be, I ask that you all at least hear him out and don't scoff at the notion that someone might like to help but not get involved.

Morpheaus

Time In Perspective

I disagree, Orion. If you would be willing to highlight exactly what his criticism and condescension towards the community and the ideas others have offered, I'm more than happy to listen. I simply don't see it though.

In all honesty, this thread isn't exactly appealing to new members either. If I were a new member investigating the section and considering participation, viewing this thread and the direction it has taken would be a turn-off. To a certain extent, the Role Playing section's waning popularity is rooted in the overall waning of the site's popularity. Granted, my period of inactivity was quite prolonged, but based upon my observations, the lessening of overall traffic seems to have impacted this section more severely than others.

Beyond that, I see that certain stylistic differences regarding the pacing of story lines has had an effect of its own, although I am still undecided as to whether this is a negative, or a positive.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

I disagree, Orion. If you would be willing to highlight exactly what his criticism and condescension towards the community and the ideas others have offered, I'm more than happy to listen. I simply don't see it though.
Starting within a week or so is a month-long competition across the roleplaying section, in which all members of the forum are able to participate. New members especially will be encouraged, with some newbie-only events taking place. Based on the quality of their activity compared with their expectations, members gain points that will be averaged out at the end to give them a draw in a raffle for a $50 Amazon gift card voucher that Mesmar's put up. The administration is fine with the idea, and there will be announcements on both the main site and the forum for this. You might see this as extremely non-committal, but given it promises something tangible for those involved and is significant enough to warrant a site-wide announcement, I'd say it's pretty good nonetheless.

Morpheaus

Time In Perspective

The idea being that this will generate interest in Role Playing overall and encourage participation. It's an idea, and it's nice of him to offer the material incentive. I could see it going either way, honestly: members may choose to participate for the duration of the contest- while a material incentive is available- or they may simply find that they enjoy the activity and continue to participate. I hope it turns out to be the latter.

MESMAR_RISING

Bronze Member
Awards

Starting within a week or so is a month-long competition across the roleplaying section, in which all members of the forum are able to participate. New members especially will be encouraged, with some newbie-only events taking place. Based on the quality of their activity compared with their expectations, members gain points that will be averaged out at the end to give them a draw in a raffle for a $50 Amazon gift card voucher that Mesmar's put up. The administration is fine with the idea, and there will be announcements on both the main site and the forum for this. You might see this as extremely non-committal, but given it promises something tangible for those involved and is significant enough to warrant a site-wide announcement, I'd say it's pretty good nonetheless.

You're killing me, Smalls.

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards

Or we could just host a mibbit chat room, parse-linked to Role-Playing Tavern, and have open discussions about pending ideas and existing rp's. I got this idea when Omni said "we isolate ourselves to our own groups", well if we're a massive one with all the frequently visiting regulars, then we're more of a community volunteering than anything else.

This idea is proposed as less of a hassle, and it will get us out of our separate groups and come into a significantly larger one, while I can't guarantee everyone will join it, I can only do my best to encourage it. I mean dude, really, we're all just regular people online talking about our interests, obsessions, hobbies, lives, etc in those groups. Only be about as formal as you feel you should be, but becoming familiar with each other is genuinely a good idea and it encourages the chance encounters of collaborative efforts.

OmniChaos

The Smiling Man
Staff member
Awards

In all honesty there's not really much anybody on this site could say that I'd take to heart. I don't see what quality you're trying to uphold when there's nobody posting. Just scanning the section itself, the only really "active" people in this section are the ones posting in this thread. Do you feel that the people who have posted in this thread need to have someone ensuring "a certain standard quality in posting"?

Then you did a poor job scanning the section, because there are plenty of regularly active roleplayers that have not posted in this thread.

Then kindly keep your negative comments to yourself. It's nice that your offering material incentives for the section, but your baseless criticizing of other people's ideas to restore vigor to the section and your pessimistic attitude are doing nothing good for this discussion.

In all honesty, this thread isn't exactly appealing to new members either. If I were a new member investigating the section and considering participation, viewing this thread and the direction it has taken would be a turn-off.

I agree. This thread has taken a destructive and very unproductive turn.

I propose we set this silly squabbling aside and return to the issue at hand.

It's a nice idea, and we can only hope it'll draw in new roleplayers, but it does little to solve the deeper rooted issues that are affecting this section.

Or we could just host a mibbit chat room, parse-linked to Role-Playing Tavern, and have open discussions about pending ideas and existing rp's. I got this idea when Omni said "we isolate ourselves to our own groups", well if we're a massive one with all the frequently visiting regulars, then we're more of a community volunteering than anything else.

Well, that was part of the Tavern's purpose.

MESMAR_RISING

Bronze Member
Awards

Yeah, I can't blame anyone for not wanting to read this thread either. It's become people crying about the fact that I disagreed with their ideas and didn't kiss their ass while I did or the fact that I'm not bothered by the opinions of a bunch of people I don't know on the internet.

I haven't heard from Orion about Chromatic's response yet, but I also offered another $50 to the winner of his tournament if certain conditions are met. He has to of course accept, but if he refuses that $50 will be folded into the main contest and the main prize will become $75 and the second prize will be $25. Specifics on how this contest actually intends to encourage newer members to improve their writing will be uploaded whenever Orion finishes writing it up. The prize will be drawn in the form of a raffle, with you accumulating points through meeting various criteria again outlined once the main thread is up (which I'm told should be early this week).

You're not required to take part if you really don't want to, but anyone can win.

Luvz u all <3

Morpheaus

Time In Perspective

Yeah, I can't blame anyone for not wanting to read this thread either. It's become people crying about the fact that I disagreed with their ideas and didn't kiss their ass while I did or the fact that I'm not bothered by the opinions of a bunch of people I don't know on the internet.

No one wants you to kiss their ass, so your prideful scorn of civility is rather pointless.

It's not the fact that you disagree. It's the fact that you've consistently been negative, degrading, and snide. People can debate the merits of an idea without being colossal pricks to one another. I could say that your contest idea will, at best, generate activity which lasts only so long as material incentive is available and do little to provide a long term solution to the issues at hand, but what is there to be gained by being a churlish naysayer without? More importantly, what harm does it do to propose a solution, have a discussion, and attempt to implement it before deciding the effort is in vain?

Your donation is appreciated.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards

This idea is proposed as less of a hassle, and it will get us out of our separate groups and come into a significantly larger one, while I can't guarantee everyone will join it, I can only do my best to encourage it. I mean dude, really, we're all just regular people online talking about our interests, obsessions, hobbies, lives, etc in those groups. Only be about as formal as you feel you should be, but becoming familiar with each other is genuinely a good idea and it encourages the chance encounters of collaborative efforts.

Step 1

Get on Mibbit

Step 2

Login/go to chat

Step 3

Select Rizon server poop

Step 4

channel #KHIRPTavern

Join.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back