• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

General feeling towards the game for now?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

cakito123

Awards
Melody of Memory on Switch. Sure, it's also on PS4/XB1 but it's still a handheld game.

Why they aren't using those Unity assets for a real game is beyond me.
if you mean like an Action RPG like most titles, they probably would have to build the gameplay foundation from the ground up since MoM is a rythym game - the 3D models may be ready for using it but only that is not enough to cut not even half development time.

Also, because of that, I don't think it's realistic to anyone from now on to expect any Action-KH-titles out of Unreal Engine 4/5. Square already have the gameplay skeleton done, so of course they won't spend time remaking it. I was first skeptical about the handheld/mobile games being on the same engine because Unreal is really good and heavy, but that went out of the roof when they showed us Missing Link so ugly looking on Unreal as a mobile game just '''''fine''''.

Last edited:

Chie

Awards
I wouldn't count the Switch as a handheld console in the same way as the DS, since the development costs are still going to be just as high in most cases especially if you're also making it for PS4 anyway.

I would enjoy them making Switch-targeted lower budget games but, good luck with that.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
if you mean like an Action RPG like most titles, they probably would have to build the gameplay foundation from the ground up since MoM is a rythym game - the 3D models may be ready for using it but only that is not enough to cut not even half development time.
Also the environments for many worlds which take a lot of time normally.

Foxycian

Awards
I’m actually exited for Missing-Link even more now, and for many reasons.

1. The graphics are no longer chibi (I’ll miss it tbh)
2. It has voice acting
3. We get to explore Scala properly
4. Customization will be more fun cause 3D model
5. Multiplayer will be even more fun
6. Endings of Union X & Dark Road
7. Nomura confirmed we will get more answers
8. The gameplay looks like KH3
9. Seeing new characters
10. The Player 😎

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I guess I’m a little more excited for this game now. Definitely more so than I was about Dark Road. It should have always been a console game, and I think that is where a lot of disappointment with Dark Road came from on top of fans being done with Xehanort.

Missing-Link at least seems to have more going for it now. I just really hope they planned this story out better than UX or DR.

If nothing else, I would hope that they learned that the service can be ended at any point, especially if there aren’t enough people paying into their game’s economy. Have a plan for a 2-year release schedule. That tends to be the average lifespan of these mobile games unless they pop off. Missing-Link doesn’t strike me as a game that will blow up.

This game is going to have Pokémon Go stuff built into it, so hopefully that will have enough good content alongside it to make it sustainable for the next 2 years.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
It should have always been a console game, and I think that is where a lot of disappointment with Dark Road came from on top of fans being done with Xehanort.
I get a part of Missing Link is being out and about to rack up points or whatever it was, but if it's being developed on Unreal Engine* then there's no reason why there shouldn't be a console version. Better yet, have the mobile version be required for that part so people can rack up the points on their phone and then that's tied to their account so when they launch their consoles, it's all there, like those old Pokemon tamagochi's use to do for the gameboy / DS Pokemon games.

*Surely it is, since they've reused world and enemy assets.

Zackarix

Awards
If nothing else, I would hope that they learned that the service can be ended at any point, especially if there aren’t enough people paying into their game’s economy. Have a plan for a 2-year release schedule. That tends to be the average lifespan of these mobile games unless they pop off. Missing-Link doesn’t strike me as a game that will blow up.
Remember when KHUX was supposed to have "seasons" but that didn't really end up panning out? They need to actually do that for Missing-Link. Instead of it being one big story (with lots of filler to pad it out) there should be distinct arcs and subplots. You can still have the big overarching plot building up, but if the game suffers an early death they can focus on closing out the plot of the current season instead of trying to rush years of into a handful of wrap-up chapters.

And please please please get a better understanding of how long-form storytelling works. No more having a cliffhanger then a year of filler before it's resolved.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Remember when KHUX was supposed to have "seasons" but that didn't really end up panning out? They need to actually do that for Missing-Link. Instead of it being one big story (with lots of filler to pad it out) there should be distinct arcs and subplots. You can still have the big overarching plot building up, but if the game suffers an early death they can focus on closing out the plot of the current season instead of trying to rush years of into a handful of wrap-up chapters.

And please please please get a better understanding of how long-form storytelling works. No more having a cliffhanger then a year of filler before it's resolved.
Exactly. Cut the filler. It’s unnecessary and eats up way more time and wastes resources even when they think they are just trying to stall for more time to work on future content.

Yeah, they need to be better about writing a serialized story. I think Dissidia: Opera Omnia has been a great example of how to approach a long-form serialized story.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
At best this could have been a $15 low budget bare-bones KH combat sim where you fight waves of heartless with your friends. Instead it'll join the cavalcade of slow-drip KH games with story gaps so long that you forget what's happening and who everyone is, lose interest, and then find out the game's service has been terminated. The Lost Media Arc is bussin so far!!!

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
I feel apathetic to the game as a whole. I don’t want to have to play a gatcha game that will spread a thin storyline over years and years of filler content to not be lost on some big dump or twist when 4 comes out.

Like does going into this part of the timeline feel needed? I would be fine is this didn’t have a big story attached to it but because it’s Numora it’s gonna be all tied in and I feel so….tired.

Agroogrooiya

Awards
Its just gonna be a sequelbait as usual. Stop hoping for thw stoey to be told well or for the filler to not come. It's going to be the same quality as X/UX.

What matters is the gameplay.

Chie

Awards
It's a mobile game, the gameplay is gonna involve rubbing your greasy fingers on the screen, it doesn't matter at all

Agroogrooiya

Awards
It's a mobile game, the gameplay is gonna involve rubbing your greasy fingers on the screen, it doesn't matter at all
Hopefully not. Ff7fs and apex mobile already have controller input. No reason they cant implement it for the first (seemingly) genuine KH game for mobile devices. They probably WONT because se mismanagement, but they absolutely could

Foxycian

Awards
I just hope we don’t get another mobile game after this, also after the finale of Dark Road, I’m even more excited for Missing-Link.

D

Deleted member 246005

I'm curious about the era and the game looks fun.

I haven't played a cellphone game before but the DMC one makes me curious about trying.

Agroogrooiya

Awards
I thought I have an itch for KH and I want to scratch it now. But then I look, and in just two weeks we're getting XC3 DLC and SO6 comes out, two more weeks CoD MW2 comes out, a week after that GoW5 comes out, and then I realize I don't actually care about KH anymore.

Back