• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► General Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion Thread: IDW, Sonic Prime and all other related content

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Wildbrain and SEGA are making a new CG-animated series for the ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ franchise, titled Sonic Prime set for release in 2022.

2DC5654F-D1E5-4F1C-9B4C-C93329E7A5DD.jpeg

SEGA and WildBrain will be producing the show, with WildBrain animating in their Vancouver studio, and Man of Action, creators of Ben 10 and the superhero team Big Hero 6, are being brought on board as executive producers and show runners for the 24-episode series.

Not much is known about the story, other than that it’ll be a “high-octane adventure where the fate of a strange new multiverse rests in his gloved hands. Sonic’s adventure is about more than a race to save the universe, it’s a journey of self-discovery and redemption.”

We had a brief announcement of a Netflix series a couple months back, but now we finally have something official! Personally I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of adventure this story brings, especially with the multiverse angle in the mix. Considering how many shows we’ve gotten based on the Blue Blur up until now, this might be a neat chance to revisit those older shows in a new light, or even expand on existing worlds in the games. For now, all we can do is wait for info.

In the meantime, thoughts?

Last edited:

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I hope the multiverse concept is used to work in old continuities like SatAM, Underground, or that one manga where Sonic is the superhero henshin of a nerdy brown hedgehog named Nicky.

Sadly, I somehow doubt it, Sega is so picky about what parts of Sonic's past to bring back.

Awards
I hope the multiverse concept is used to work in old continuities like SatAM, Underground, or that one manga where Sonic is the superhero henshin of a nerdy brown hedgehog named Nicky.

Sadly, I somehow doubt it, Sega is so picky about what parts of Sonic's past to bring back.
At this point, everything Sonic is a freakin' gamble.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Personally, I’m hoping we get to see some of the older Sonic properties as cameos, considering WildBrain currently owns the old 90s Sonic shows. Unlikely as that is to happen, it’s be a nice way to pay homage to those shows.

The only thing that I could see definitely happening is seeing Blaze the Cat in her home dimension. Because if you’re gonna include a multiverse, you have to at least stop by her in the story. If not, that’s a missed opportunity if I ever saw one.

WaltK

Awards
2022 Animated Series
2023 Movie?

The second movie is still set for next April last I checked, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the pandemic delays production.

Personally, I’m hoping we get to see some of the older Sonic properties as cameos, considering WildBrain currently owns the old 90s Sonic shows. Unlikely as that is to happen, it’s be a nice way to pay homage to those shows.

The only thing that I could see definitely happening is seeing Blaze the Cat in her home dimension. Because if you’re gonna include a multiverse, you have to at least stop by her in the story. If not, that’s a missed opportunity if I ever saw one.

I’d be surprised if Classic Sonic didn’t also show up. If they wanted to crossovers with other continuities, the IDW continuity would seem the most likely, if not in the show itself, then in IDW’s inevitable comic tie-in to the show.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

c85.jpg

Blaze is such a prime (no pun intended) example of how screwy Sega's priorities are. She's like the one post-genesis/MD era character the older fans actually like. Those who rail on "Sonic's shitty friends" tend to give her a free pass. & yet Sega's basically done nothing to capitalize on this as her appearances became more & more sporatic cameos after the Rush & Black Knight games. Meanwhile they continue to shill the ever loving fuck out of Silver & Zavoc. STOP TRYING TO MAKE ZAVOC HAPPEN SEGA! NOBODY CARES ABOUT ZAVOC!!!

I’d be surprised if Classic Sonic didn’t also show up. If they wanted to crossovers with other continuities, the IDW continuity would seem the most likely, if not in the show itself, then in IDW’s inevitable comic tie-in to the show.

Realistically, I think we're getting:

-Gameverse/"Normal" Sonic
-Sonic Boom
-Blaze's dimension
-Classic Sonic
-Movieverse (or a stylized take on it that probably won't be canon to the film sequel)
-IDW

6 universes is already more than enough for 10 episodes, which is what makes me worry about older continuities getting repped. Though I suppose there's always Season 2, which would happen to land on the 30th aniversary of many of those shows/comics.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Realistically, I think we're getting:

-Gameverse/"Normal" Sonic
-Sonic Boom
-Blaze's dimension
-Classic Sonic
-Movieverse (or a stylized take on it that probably won't be canon to the film sequel)
-IDW

6 universes is already more than enough for 10 episodes, which is what makes me worry about older continuities getting repped. Though I suppose there's always Season 2, which would happen to land on the 30th aniversary of many of those shows/comics.

That might be unlikely since it seems they’re trying to zone out Classic Sonic(just saving him for anniversaries and not having him be part of the story like he was with Forces), and Sonic Boom is unlikely since we’re getting another cast overhaul since Roger is no longer Sonic. And Paramount has no involvement in this series either, so that’s another one gone.

I don’t know if we’ll be getting IDW since that’s supposed to take place directly after Forces, but we’ll see how it goes. It’d be nice to see Tangle & Whisper have an onscreen debut in speaking roles, since they got featured in Sonic Dash.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
We also have an idea for the tone of the show, thanks to Duncan Roleau of Man of Action.

For those unfamiliar with Generator Rex, it was a serialised story where the world is infected with nanites that can transform people into monsters called EVOs at a moment’s notice, and our titular hero is one of the few EVOs who can not only control his nanites but also cure those turned into EVOs. It also had a crossover with Ben 10 called ‘Heroes United’.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
This might actually make me interested in the Sonic franchise again if they can successfully make it work. As the multiverse idea actually sounds cool and I would really like to see Blaze return to the series as she’s probably my favourite character, also I would really like to see references to things like Sonic having siblings they don’t have to make an appearance but I think it would be awesome if those characters were acknowledged. I wonder If they will include the storybook series as I think the plot of those games could make for some good episodes if handled correctly. Honestly I would like to see characters like Team Chaotix or The Babylon Rogues make an appearance or at least referenced maybe even Cosmo as well. Although I think it would be better if they don’t make any reference to Sonic 06.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
This might actually make me interested in the Sonic franchise again if they can successfully make it work. As the multiverse idea actually sounds cool and I would really like to see Blaze return to the series as she’s probably my favourite character, also I would really like to see references to things like Sonic having siblings they don’t have to make an appearance but I think it would be awesome if those characters were acknowledged. I wonder If they will include the storybook series as I think the plot of those games could make for some good episodes if handled correctly. Honestly I would like to see characters like Team Chaotix or The Babylon Rogues make an appearance or at least referenced maybe even Cosmo as well. Although I think it would be better if they don’t make any reference to Sonic 06.
If we could get to see Shahra and Merlina again, that’d be pretty cool 😎
As for Sonic 06, if they make reference to it(possibly even fix some of its issues), I’d be okay with that. Heck, Silver playing a part in the story would be great too.

2 quid is good

Awards
I'm genuinely excited for the voice cast purge, I honestly feel like nothing of value was really lost, and I didn't feel this way for the previous two purges. I'm not silly enough to believe old actors will come back but damn, it would be nice.

You can talk about how the scripts didn't serve the actors and how Sonic Boom (the show) was excellent but it remains to me that these actors had double to triple the time previous actors did to succeed with these characters, and could only do so in an alternate imagining with different interpretations of these characters than what is expected. I can't honestly say any of these actors were an improvement over ANY of the two previous casts, at best some (Colleen O'Shaughnessy, Erica Lindbeck, etc) were on par. I respect the work they put in and I understand there were a lot of factors that led to this lower quality, but these voices have actively impeded my enjoyment of these games for over a decade.

I just hope SEGA doesn't make the same mistake of going with relatively "big" names rather than actually seeing if the voice matches. Or, oh God, they ask the new cast to mimc the studiopolis cast.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Watch the last episode be about Movie Universe Sonic and tease the premises of the film.
If Paramount was involved, I have no doubt that would happen 🤣

Also, it seems Ryan Drummond’s agent is in talks with SEGA to reprise his role as Sonic.

While this doesn’t outright confirm that he’s coming back, it’d be nice to hear him in the role again.

For those curious of what his Sonic might sound like today, Drummond has recently taken part in a fanmade radio drama by Youtube singer EmuEmi called ’Sonic and Tails R’, alongside Mike Pollock(Eggman) and some fellow former Sonic VAs, including Pete Capella(Silver), Lisa Ortiz(Amy), David Humphrey(Shadow) and Jason Griffith(Sonic/Shadow).

Last edited:
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
this sounds great! i remember when i used to play the games and watch the animated series when i was a kid! them making the new sonic movie was good but having an animated series that can establish how sonic got his powers or how dr. eggman began plotting to steal the chaos emeralds and having sonic find them with his friends throughout the series makes me soooo excited! thank you for posting this!

Back