• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Godzilla series - [symphonic hymning intensifies]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Since the new movie comes out next year I thought I should make a thread about the series.

About the 2014 film

Godzilla is an upcoming American science fiction giant monster film based on the Japanese film monster of the same name and is a reboot of the Godzilla film franchise. It is the second Godzilla film to be fully filmed by an American studio, after the 1998 film of the same name. The film is directed by Gareth Edwards and stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Bryan Cranston, Juliette Binoche, David Strathairn, Sally Hawkins and Ken Watanabe.
Roles are yet to be named or specified.
Aaron Taylor-Johnson as Soldier
Ken Watanabe
Elizabeth Olsen as Soldier's girlfriend
Juliette Binoche
David Strathairn
Bryan Cranston as Soldier's stepfather
Richard T. Jones as a military figure
Victor Rasuk
Akira Takarada (unspecified role)
Sally Hawkins as a scientist
Yuki Morita
CJ Adams as Soldier's stepbrother

So what are your expectations for the film, and what are your favorite films in the series?

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
Re: Godzilla series

I would hope that enough lessons were learned from that monstrosity that was the 1998 Godzilla film that this new one should be leaps and bounds better. But pretty much just finally give me a giant monster fight that looks decent and I'll be happy for the most part.

I used to have a box full of old Godzilla VHS tapes when I was a kid and would watch them almost endlessly. Sadly I don't have them anymore, except for Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (the one with King Caesar in it). But out of all the tapes my favorite was King Kong vs Godzilla because it was cool getting to watch two big-name monsters duke it out. The winner of that fight was left somewhat ambiguous at the end but I'd always say Godzilla won it because the fire breathing lizard was much cooler than a giant gorilla.

El Coqu?

General ShinyMog here!
Awards

its supposed to be a rehash of the 1950s original and not a cracked up Iguana so im down. Ive seen most of the 28 Godzilla films in my short 20yrsand Godzilla: final wars where Godzilla kills the American Godzilla (named Zilla) was amazing

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

godzilla's pretty legit

i think my favorite film is probably the original, shit was somber as hell

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar

I would hope that enough lessons were learned from that monstrosity that was the 1998 Godzilla film that this new one should be leaps and bounds better. But pretty much just finally give me a giant monster fight that looks decent and I'll be happy for the most part.

I used to have a box full of old Godzilla VHS tapes when I was a kid and would watch them almost endlessly. Sadly I don't have them anymore, except for Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (the one with King Caesar in it). But out of all the tapes my favorite was King Kong vs Godzilla because it was cool getting to watch two big-name monsters duke it out. The winner of that fight was left somewhat ambiguous at the end but I'd always say Godzilla won it because the fire breathing lizard was much cooler than a giant gorilla.

From what I remember, Godzilla vs King Kong was ambiguous because the ending changed depending on the region. The Japanese version had Godzilla winning while the American version had Kong winning

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards

From what I remember, Godzilla vs King Kong was ambiguous because the ending changed depending on the region. The Japanese version had Godzilla winning while the American version had Kong winning
Supposedly the dual-ending to the film is just a myth.

Dual ending myth

For many years a popular myth has persisted that in the Japanese version of this film, Godzilla emerges as the winner. The myth originated in the pages of Spacemen magazine, a 1960s sister magazine to the influential publication Famous Monsters of Filmland. In an article about the film, it is incorrectly stated that there were two endings and "If you see King Kong vs Godzilla in Japan, Hong Kong or some Oriental sector of the world, Godzilla wins!" The article was reprinted in various issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland in the years following such as issues 51, and 114. This bit of incorrect info would be accepted as fact and persist for decades, transcending the medium and into the mainstream. For example, decades later in the 1980s the myth was still going strong. The Genus III edition of the popular board game Trivial Pursuit had a question that asked "Who wins in the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla?", and states that the correct answer is "Godzilla". As well, through the years, this myth has been misreported by various members of the media, and has been misreported by reputable news organizations such as The LA Times. Since seeing the original Japanese-language versions of Godzilla movies was very hard to come by from a Western standpoint during this time period, it became easily believable.
However, as more Westerners were able to view the original version of the film (especially after its availability on home video during the late 1980s), and gain access to Japanese publications about the film, the myth was dispelled. There is only one ending of this film. Both versions of the film end the same way: Kong and Godzilla crash into the ocean, and Kong is the only monster to emerge and swims home. The only differences between the two endings of the film are extremely minor and trivial ones:

• In the Japanese version, as Kong and Godzilla are fighting underwater, a very small earthquake occurs. In the American version, producer John Beck used stock footage of a violent earthquake from the film The Mysterians to make the climactic earthquake seem far more violent and destructive.
  • The dialogue is slightly different. In the Japanese version onlookers are speculating that Godzilla might be dead as they watch Kong swim home and speculate that it's possible he survived. In the American version, onlookers simply say, "Godzilla has disappeared without a trace" and newly shot scenes of reporter Eric Carter have him watching Kong swim home on a viewscreen and wishing him luck on his long journey home.
  • As the film ends and the screen fades to black, owari (the end) appears on screen. Godzilla's roar followed by Kong's is on the Japanese soundtrack. This was akin to the monsters' taking a bow or saying goodbye to the audience, as at this point the film is over. In the American version, only Kong's roar is present on the soundtrack.
^From Wikipedia. I wasn't quite sold on the myth when I first heard it, but just let the fight off as a draw.

Gram

Banned
Awards

This^^^^^^ I loved them old movies when I was little! Didn't see all the movies but I loved what ones I had. xD
This is the best news I've seen all day. 8D Can't wait to see this redone, hopefully they do it right.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards

A couple years ago there was a fantastically done Godzilla tribute from 1954-2004 on Youtube, but after searching a couple days to no avail it seems it's no longer around. Too bad, it was a really good video, but this comes in second:
[video=youtube;sXJ1Wl-b41o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJ1Wl-b41o[/video]

These are pretty good too:
Ultimate Godzilla Tribute - YouTube
Godzilla Tribute - YouTube

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, the nostalgia.

I do have one question to pose: Each era of Godzilla films used the original 1954 Godzilla movie as their starting point, and otherwise ignored the other films from previous eras and were able to set their own tone. Do you think the new Godzilla movie coming out next year would or should reference the original Godzilla movie in establishing its backstory, or should it establish its own origin for the monster?

Gram

Banned
Awards

Hm...I think it should establish it's own but reference older movies in some way. Like paying homage to them~ xD

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards

There was an official concept art image that was debuted at Comic Con earlier. Gojira looks huge.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Hopefully this film manages to capture that somber vibe from the original 1954 film.

Gram

Banned
Awards

Lovin the concept art, it seems a little like the american zilla with that back though.

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards

I don't know if I am ready to open myself to a Godzilla film after the last one. I think I'll be more comfortable when I see this version's Godzilla before I take a change.

Theart

Awards

Lovin the concept art, it seems a little like the american zilla with that back though.

I've actually been spending the past half-hour or so looking up info, and apparently the makers of the film definitely intend to take the monster back to the original 1954 film. Here's the official poster they also debuted at Comic Con this year.

god.jpg

Also, apparently they showed a teaser trailer at the Comic Con last year that never went made it to the Internet, but there were one or two pictures and a trailer description.

“A city decimated. Completely destroyed. The camera pans by the wreckage of a train and the distant voice of J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atomic bomb) is heard reading from the Bhagavad Gita – “Now, I am become death”. Dust everywhere. Cars crushed. Holes in sky scrapers.

We then see a giant centipede like creature with many arms and legs smoldering. (You know what that means? Monster battles!) The city appears dead as a door nail. Then blackness. THE ROAR. As in THE roar. Huge Bass drop. Raymond Burr finishes his famous speech. Dust…then an arm… a hand… with claws. Pan up… holy shit… the fins. The head. Godzilla. As we know him. The real f-cking Godzilla. He roars again.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards

There was an official concept art image that was debuted at Comic Con earlier. Gojira looks huge.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Looking good so far, but I'll save more hype for when we get a better look at everyone's favorite lizard monster.

Hopefully this film manages to capture that somber vibe from the original 1954 film.

The somber vibe of the first Godzilla film would be nice to experience now. On the other hand I want to see the big guy wreck stuff, but hopefully that'll balance out in there. xD

Theart

Awards

It can look like the original Godzilla but if its crappy CGI, its gonna look bad anyways.

A fair point. However if that were to be the case, I'd be willing to cut the film some slack, provided the quality of the rest of the film was great, especially the plot and acting.

That being said, we're just talking hypothetically right now, right?

Ulti

hurr hurr hurr
Awards

Well, we have no real information about the film other than it is trying to do good by Japan's version. Now that said, the plot is gonna be odd.

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards

UPDATE: We now have a much better idea of what Godzilla will look like in the film~ I'm stoked. Very menacing~

Here he is, Ladies and Gentlemen. Meet Legendary’s GODZILLA! | SKREEONK!

Spoiler Spoiler Show

I like it! I've got my hype back for this now. xD Much better then what we got in the 98 film, getting Godzilla to be hulking and very menacing. But as we learned from the 98 film, if you screw up using the King of Monsters, you get the "God" taken off the name in disgrace. xD So hopefully there won't be a repeat with this film.

Gram

Banned
Awards

I love it! The hype, the nostalgia just yay~ I'm really loving the look of the sculpt and that image of it's menacing eyes. 8D
I'm actually excited for this, doubt we have to worry to much even with the 98' version coming to so many's mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back