• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

TV ► Gotham

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
http://music.yahoo.com/news/batmans...tropolis-comes-fox-tv-012325681--finance.html

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Batman's crime-ridden gritty fictional metropolis of Gotham City will be the focus of a new Fox drama, the latest comic book-inspired series to tap superheroes' ability to draw audiences to both film and TV.

Fox described its new show "Gotham" as "the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham famous," the network said on Wednesday. Gordon is the police commissioner of Gotham City, and often supports Batman to defeat the city's villains.

Each episode will be one hour, and the pilot will be written and produced by Bruno Heller, a British screenwriter best known for co-creating the HBO-BBC produced drama "Rome," which explored Ancient Rome's reign under Julius Caesar and Emperor Augustus.

Fox has yet to announce when the series will air and who will star in it. It was not clear whether Batman would even be a character in the series.

"Gotham" comes on the heels of Marvel's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D" on Walt Disney Co.'s television network ABC, which premiered on Tuesday with 11.9 million viewers. The series features human agents and is based on the world of Marvel's "Avengers" comics, featuring an ensemble of superheroes including Iron Man, Thor and Captain America.

"Gotham" will be produced by Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros. Entertainment, which incorporated DC Entertainment, the company behind the DC Comics universe that includes Batman and Superman. The series will air on Fox, a unit of 21st Century Fox Inc..

The latest Batman adaptation, Christopher Nolan's "Dark Knight" trilogy starring Christian Bale as the caped crusader, made more than $2 billion at box offices worldwide. British actor Gary Oldman played Commissioner Gordon in the films.

Oscar-winning actor Ben Affleck will be the next person to don the bat mask on the big screen as he faces off with Henry Cavill's Superman in "Man of Steel 2," due in theatres in 2015.

Wow, this is as blatant as you can get DC. Meanwhile a certain wonder woman is labeled as "Tricky".

Last edited:

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Re: Gotham. A new tv show focusing on Jim Gordon.

Wow, this is as blatant as you can get DC. Meanwhile a certain wonder woman is labeled as "Tricky".

Eurgh. I hate this argument. I personally think a Wonder Woman movie would be difficult. Hell, even in my favourite run of hers that is going at the moment, she is the least interesting aspect of it. She has a pretty dull rogues gallery. Wonder Woman Rogues Gallery - Wonder Woman Wiki although a movie using Ares would be cool? I don't know, DC fucks up a ton of the time. But I can understand some problems with Wonder Woman. You can't gritty her up as easily as they have with Bats and Supes.

But I digress.

I'm happy with this is they go to Gotham Central for inspiration. That'd be great. They've got loads of material there to work from.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

Color me interested. Gotham City is supposed to be the seediest city ever so they'll definitely have a lot to draw inspiration from. I'm a sucker for origin stories. I'm hoping we'll see guys like Harvey Dent and Oswald Cobblepot become the supervillians we know them as.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

Makes you wonder what part of Gordon's life will they start on. Rookie Gordon or Commissioner Gordon? Will they include the investigation of the Wayne Murder? If so, that could be an interesting way to start the first episode, heck that could be the main plot of the first season! Will we see the Falcone family? Black Mask? Definitely the origins of the Batman's rouge gallery.
If we see Red Hood, I will go crazy!!! I'm so excited!

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards

I imagine we will see the Red Hood Gang operating at some point, they are a big part of Gotham's criminal history what with many people donning the 'hood.'

If we see Renee Montoya...can we see The Question please?

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Re: Gotham (A new tv show focusing on Jim Gordon)

It was about freaking time. :) I love Gordon. He deserves to have some more spotlight on him.

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar

Could be a good opportunity to flesh out some villains who don't get as much recognition. Hopefully, they don't take the Dark Knight trilogy path, and take out any and all elements of fantasy from the Mythos. If they use Ra's Al Ghul, he needs to be a centuries old leader of assassins who has died and been resurrected many times for example

Gram

Banned
Awards

Definitely interested, always like Gordons character so some spot light will be good. =D

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I love Gordon and I'm actually really excited about this concept.

Relix

A traveler
Awards

This will definitely be interesting. Gordon's a great character and I kinda have a soft spot for crime dramas (assuming this will lean in that direction). Either way I love Gordon.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Fox, eh? Well, I guess Fox and the CW cross over a bit from time to time. You usually get the DC stuff on CW.

Either way, this should be a good show.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

FOX's Gotham Is a Batman Origin Story and Will Have a Christopher Nolan-Esque Tone - IGN

Up until now, it was said that the series would focus solely on Commissioner Gordon and Gotham City and not feature Batman and his rouges gallery. I'm guessing FOX wanted to wait until they had the rights/licenses to the Batman franchise to announce this in case negotiations fell through.

I was kinda psyched to see a Gordon only series, but I don't mind this. I just hope that the Nolan-esque tone they're implying the show to have doesn't mean we're going to lose the fantasy aspect of Batman.

Last edited:

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards

I'm actually hoping Batman or Bruce are never seen on-screen. That sort of thing would definitely distract and partially take away from the focus on Gordon, and of all things if we're getting something this awesome I don't want that.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I'm actually hoping Batman or Bruce are never seen on-screen. That sort of thing would definitely distract and partially take away from the focus on Gordon, and of all things if we're getting something this awesome I don't want that.

Well, sadly this is a Batman origin story so...We'll be getting a lot of Batman and Bruce.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Re: Gotham (A new tv show focusing on Jim Gordon...j/k it's a Batman origin story!)

I actually think you could have Batman without taking away focus from Gordon. All they would have to do is spend more time on Gordon and less with Batman. This could work if handled carefully.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Gotham (A new tv show focusing on Jim Gordon...j/k it's a Batman origin story!)

I actually think you could have Batman without taking away focus from Gordon. All they would have to do is spend more time on Gordon and less with Batman. This could work if handled carefully.

Except this is an origin story about Batman!

Guys, read the article.

"This is an origin story for young Bruce Wayne," Reilly said, promising that all of the classic Batman characters and villains would make an appearance, including: The Penguin, The Riddler, Commissioner Gordon, and The Joker. This is a series about "Gotham on the brink" he said, and "how they all became who they were, what events led up to these characters becoming Catwoman [and so on]." The Chairman described the series as "operatic" and "larger-than-life."

It will follow Bruce Wayne from childhood through his development into the Dark Night, with the final episode marking the moment when he puts on the cape. They're not certain what age young Bruce will be at this point, but Reilly estimates that he will be about 13 at the start of the series. "The actor will grow-up, if we do our job well he'll be a young man and ready [to be Batman] by the end," he said. "Which isn't to say we might not skip ahead."

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards

Aaaaaaand there goes my interest.

THEY HAVE AN ENTIRE SERIES CALLED GOTHAM CENTRAL AT THEIR DISPOSAL.

BUT NOOOOO Batman tiem.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards

Hold on, what? Where did anybody get this stuff about Gordon being the focus of this then?

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards

Hold on, what? Where did anybody get this stuff about Gordon being the focus of this then?

The first announcement about this series said it would focus on Gordon.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards

So now it's basically what the original plan for Smallville was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back