• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Guild Wars: Eye of the North!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

PRECIOUS FAIRY VAGINA
Awards
Note: This post is directly taken from the gwo forums, created by the user Quintis Antonius. I did not write it up.

-----

Alright folks, I've reviewed the PCGamer article and I am going to give a brief summary of what we are to expect in GW:EN.

PART I: The New Races

Sylvari
Characteristics:Naive, curious, gifted
Words to live by:"Sieze the moment."

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1118/gw21vy7.jpg
A young race of nature spirits who have awakened with the rise of a new age in Tyria, Sylvari are beings of light, as yet uncorrupted by knowledge of sorrow, suspicion, or hatred. Sylvari are proficient in things related to magic and dexterity, with a supernatural connection to plants and other an innate empathic bond to each other.

Asura
Characteristics:Inventive, condescending
Words to live by:"We're smarter than you."

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/6987/gw22dl7.jpg
A diminutive race from the depths of Tyria, Asura wish to expand their empire to the surface world. Exceptionally intelligent and techinically minded, they use magical skills, stone, and metalworking to create weapons. Asura believe they are destined to rule the world, with the larger, less intelligent races as their subjects.

Charr
Characteristics:Fierce, opportunistic, proud
Words to live by:"Victory at any cost."

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/7477/gw23nt9.jpg
A savage race of sentient beasts, the Charr will use any means avilable to destory their enemies: an ambush is as honorable as a fair fight, as victory is what matters. Though Charr have no concept of mercy, they can be protective of those within their tribe.

Norn
Characteristics:Individualistic, stubborn, unrefined
Words to live by:"Strength above all."

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4562/gw24fh3.jpg
A race of shape-shifting half-giants from the north, the Norn value personal strength, victory, and purifying the soul through battle. They revere the spirits of animals and call on them like shamans. Norn can access a skill that changes them into a half-Norn/half-bear, with increased health and melee damage.

PART II: The Story

EotN's story expands on a storyline alluded to in Prophecies: The Great Dwarf, the patron god of all dwarves in the Guild Wars universe, opposes the Great Destroyer, an entity so fearsome, his name is forbidden to be spoken among the Dwarves. In Eye of the North, you meet and confront the Great Destroyer.
I am not going to post the rest verbatum because I do not want to violate copyright laws, however, I will provide a summary:

GW:EN will have three acts, and will require that a player have one of the three prior chapters (Prophecies, Factions, or Nightfall) to play, as in it's an expansion, not stand-alone.

In the first act, earthquakes reveal the Asuran tunnels below Tyria (the planet, not the continent) and these lead down to the Asuran empire below the earth. There you find out that the Asura are fighting against the Great Destroyer. You go with them, apparently through a magical gate, and meet the Norn. It also says "We're told you will encounter some 'suprises and a few familiar faces' " along the way. So, once you get to Norn-land (my term, not their's), you find out that the Dwarves are gearing up to fight off the Great Destroyer.

In the second act, you learn more about the Norn culture, and end up in Northern Ascalon, in (drumroll) the Charr homeland! The Charr homeland looks like Pre-Searing Ascalon, and is not seared like heartland Ascalon. The Charr are unravelling. They are in civil war, and are suffering from the loss of the Titans as their gods. You also learn that the Asura are preparing to fight the Great Destroyer using "their own brand of supermagic".

In the third act, we finally meet and fight the Great Destroyer.

PART III: Locations

According to the article, there will be familiar and new locations. First of all, most of the game takes place north of Tyria, or underground Tyria. There are four main locations given:

Underground: Basically imagine the Pre-Searing Catacombs, which we apparently get access to again, only on a much larger and vaster scale. There are apparently also lava tubes.

Far North Shiverpeaks: Snow, rocks, Norns, Dwarves. Not much more to say.

Tarnished Coast: Borders Maguuma jungle, a land of rocky outcrops, and waterfalls. Lots of caves, Asura country.

North Ascalon: Charr homeland. Looks like Pre-Searing Ascalon.

PART IV: Gwen

Yes, it is indeed that Gwen.
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4016/gw25wz2.jpg

View the image. Need I say more on this? Apparently she is alive, and has grown up. The circumstances of this are unknown.

PART FIVE: Quintus's Closing Thoughts, and Implications of Lore

So there you have it folks. A nice tidy summary of the lore revealed in the new article in PCGamer. I will not provide full screenshots, and I will not post any more pictures than I have already as I will not violate copyrights. If you want to know more, or if you want to see the screenshots and other pictures, which there are plenty, then I suggest you pickup your own copy of PCGamer when it hits the shelves Apirl 3rd.

Now onto the implications these new places and face have on the lore.

Unfortunantely, there is no mention of the Mursaat. The Asuran race looks like a catch all race thrown in to explain some of the mysterious parts left from Prophecies, such as the Catacombs. But it is important to remember that the article only outlines what GW:EN will have that is new. Very little, if anything, is mentioned about older things and how they relate. So it is still entirely possible the Mursaat will make an appearence. What worries me, however, is that the Asura are seemingly taking up the role of the Mursaat. Almost everything about them, from their home near Maguuma, their magical and technological superiority, and their attributes and "words to live by", reek of the Mursaat. It bothers me that ANet crapped out a new race of magical superbunnies, faeries, and giant bearmen instead of developing the races we already have, like the Tengu, the Mursaat, the Dredge, and the Centaurs. But as I said, the article mainly covered new things, not old things, and unless ANet has planned to completely abandoned the lore and story of Chapter One, those groups and others must certainly have some role or mention.

What we do get to see, however, is an exploration of Charr culture, and Dwarven mythos, two things greatly lacking in Prophecies and subsequent chapters. The Charr are confirmed to be a Mongolian-esque tribal structure, and their attack on Tyria is confirmed to be a Genghis Khan-like conquering of Eurasia, with a fantasy twist, of course. Also, the prospect of seeing new old unseared Ascalon in all its beauty is really exciting.

Ah, the Great Dwarf-Great Destroyer mystery will finally be solved. I must admit, I'm happy about this. Also, on the page that talks about the Great Dwarf, there is a picture of Balthazar surrounded by Kurzick-like statues. This may prove my theory of ol' Balthie being the Great Dwarf, however, the mystery of the Great Destroyer remains unsolved, he was not, apparently as I theorized, Abaddon, but there is still a credible theory that he is the Lord of Destruction, and Balthazar's half-brother Menzies. I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see. There are several threads on this already active, so please don't discuss it here.

As I've mentioned before, the article didn't really cover how old lore will connect with the new lore. There was no mention of the Mursaat, or even any of the three kingdoms of Tyria. There was nothing on the White Mantle, or Glint and the Forgotten, and it didn't mention a single one of the Six Gods. Yet, unless ANet is completely planning on rewriting the lore of Tyria in one chapter, which I do not believe they will do, these groups must have something to do with Eye of the North. If they do not, I for one, will be very dissatisifed. However, the article does put a strong emphasis on meeting with "familiar faces and places" and does stress that it is meant to tie up the lose ends of the Prophecies-Factions-Nightfall arc, and transition into GW2. GW2 is still two to three years away, so I will not discuss that at this time.

So it looks like GW:EN will be an epic, and long, game. We will see familiar faces, new faces and races, and hopefully revisit old mysteries that have not yet been tied up. Undoubtably, more information will leak out before Q3 2007 when the game is slated for launch, and there is a beta coming up this summer, so hopefully we'll hear some word on some of our favorite characters. Here's me hoping for more Mursaat, and no Re-Undead Rurik!

DISCLAIMER: Quoted texts are copyrighted property of PCGamer and content is copyright of ArenaNet and NCSoft. Images are copyrighted material of ArenaNet/NCSoft and PCGamer.

-----

Yes, you read it correctly.

GWEN.

Those of you with Prophecies will remember the annoying little thing who used to follow you around Pre-Searing Ascalon. For many years, people have wondered what has happened to her. Did she perish in the searing? Was she taken hostage? Is she still alive, somewhere?

The answer is: Yes, she is still alive.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4016/gw25wz2.jpg

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
WTB PVP info. PST offers.

An MMO without PVP is just pointless, IMO, no matter what the PVE content is like.

Scotty

PRECIOUS FAIRY VAGINA
Awards
WTB PVP info. PST offers.

An MMO without PVP is just pointless, IMO, no matter what the PVE content is like.

This is still GW1. Eye of the North, however, is not a new chapter, as the last 3 have been. This is an expansion, and requires you to own at least one of the previous chapters to play it, something that has never been done before. So the PvP is going to be the same.

GW:EN is going to be totally high-end content. No starting over on Lv1 characters. It's going to be all level 20 on your existing characters.

I can't be the only one finding it a bit ironic that Eye of the North comes out as GW:EN, and the fact she is making a comeback..

As for GW2 and PvP news, there's some, but not a lot. From what I can remember reading over at gwo, there will be different types of PvP. Let me grab a quote directly from Gaile Grey..

I just chatted with Mike O'Brien, Jeff Strain, and Isaiah Cartwright on the question of PvP. Here is what they said:

There will be two types of PvP in Guild Wars 2:

World PvP will allow you to play characters of any level, using the skills that you have in your possession at that particular time.

Structured PvP (similar to today's GvG) will allow you to enter the game at maximum level with all skills. Yes, that's UAX.

Roleplaying Characters will gain the opportunity to acquire higher levels. I believe that the magazine refers to a cap of 100 or more. This is an opportunity for which the players have been asking over the last couple of years. I know that personally, I like it very well.

Daniel Faraday

you fucking...FUCK
Wait, capping level 100? That seems a bit extreme, considering the whole GW philosophy of stratagy > time playing :\

Anyways, playing as the char will be sex.

...These new races ARE playable, right?

~Dorian Gray

Ryu

an obscene gesture
I can't be bothered to read the entire OP right now, basically cause I already know most of it. I'm so excited though. )': I wasn't very enthousiastic about Factions after I played it, Nightfall was considerably better and now an actual expansion to the best chapter in GW gets me riled up again. I can't wait to get all nostalgic again with my very first character, exploring the catacombs, kick some Charr behind.

As for the races; the new races in GW: EN are not playable, I'm assuming they simply pose as part of the storyline, just like the Charr and Deldrimor Dwarves did. However all these races will be playable in GW2, though that's like 2 years away.

As for Gwen; she's just as hot right now as she was annoying, omg ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back