• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Haggis is ENGLISH!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade737

Silver Member
A haggis recipe was published in an English book almost two hundred years before any evidence of the dish in Scotland, an historian has claimed.

Historian Catherine Brown told the Daily Telegraph that she found references to the dish inside a 1616 book called The English Hus-Wife.

The title would pre-date Robert Burns' poem To A Haggis by 171 years.

But ex-world champion haggis maker Robert Patrick insisted: "Nobody's going to believe it."

'English dish'

Ms Brown said the book, by Gervase Markham, indicates that haggis was first eaten in England and subsequently popularised by the Scots.

She told the paper that the first mention she could find of Scottish haggis was in 1747.

"It was originally an English dish. In 1615, Gervase Markham says that it is very popular among all people in England," she said.

"By the middle of the 18th century another English cookery writer, Hannah Glasse, has a recipe that she calls Scotch haggis, the haggis that we know today."

Her findings are due to be broadcast in a documentary on STV in Scotland.

But Mr Patrick said the idea haggis originated in England is akin to claims by the Dutch and Chinese to have invented golf.

He added: "Anything that's to do with Scotland, everybody wants to get a part of.

"We've nurtured the thing for all these years, we've developed it, so I think very much it is a Scottish product.

"It's one of the mainstays of my business' economy so we'd never give it up."

James Macsween, whose Edinburgh-based company makes haggis, said it will remain a Scottish icon whatever its origin.

He said even if the haggis was eaten in England long before Burns made it famous, Scotland has done a better job of looking after it.

And he added: "I didn't hear of Shakespeare writing a poem about it."
BBC NEWS | UK | Haggis is English, historian says

By this revision of world history I am lost at words.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
People will still always associate it with Scotland, though.

very differentiable
Awards
Wouldn't touch that shit with a fifty foot pole. That nasty, there are limits on our carnivorous nature.

Awards
If it's good, I'll eat it.

bizarre-foods-l.jpg

Not the smartest ideology to live by.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Guys, I just learned something that will ROCK YOUR WORLD. Spaghetti is NOT actually Italian. Don't believe the lies the media tells you. Spaghetti actually comes from CHINA. Last time I checked China wasn't in Italy. That's because it's a DIFFERENT COUNTRY. The only reason why people think it's Italian is because some imperialist thief named Marco Polo stole it from the Chinese and brought it back to those European fat cats. They took it from China, just like they took slaves from Africa. Don't be fooled. Eating spaghetti is like eating SLAVERY.

Spic Steve

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL OLOLOLOLOL
Awards
holy fuck tits.
I've never actually seen haggis to be honest.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Guys, I just learned something that will ROCK YOUR WORLD. Spaghetti is NOT actually Italian. Don't believe the lies the media tells you. Spaghetti actually comes from CHINA. Last time I checked China wasn't in Italy. That's because it's a DIFFERENT COUNTRY. The only reason why people think it's Italian is because some imperialist thief named Marco Polo stole it from the Chinese and brought it back to those European fat cats. They took it from China, just like they took slaves from Africa. Don't be fooled. Eating spaghetti is like eating SLAVERY.

And slavery never tasted so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back