• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Harry Potter

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

xiaojen7

I'm not sure if it was mentioned anywhere in the thread, but did anyone get both parts of the Cursed Child?
Can anyone tell me if its good or not before I get it? I've been thinking of getting it for awhile now...

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Heyyyyyy, so that Fantastic Beasts 2 Trailer came out and I think I'm sold! It looks the same as the first one, but more refined. And god damn if Johnny Depp doesn't look better as Grindlewald in this movie than I was expecting.

My one gripe is Dumbledore. He looks charming and hilarious, sure, but he acts literally nothing like we've seen him before. Unless this mission changed him so completely that he went from looking like a rich-as-heyllll magic playboy to a ratty hippie outcast, I really don't see this as a believable character shift.

Pokie

Heyyyyyy, so that Fantastic Beasts 2 Trailer came out and I think I'm sold! It looks the same as the first one, but more refined. And god damn if Johnny Depp doesn't look better as Grindlewald in this movie than I was expecting.

My one gripe is Dumbledore. He looks charming and hilarious, sure, but he acts literally nothing like we've seen him before. Unless this mission changed him so completely that he went from looking like a rich-as-heyllll magic playboy to a ratty hippie outcast, I really don't see this as a believable character shift.

Older Dumbledore is well, much older. He has all the experience, all the lessons learnt, and he's wiser and grown. In Fantastic Beasts he's just a young man. Alot can change between the years.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Older Dumbledore is well, much older. He has all the experience, all the lessons learnt, and he's wiser and grown. In Fantastic Beasts he's just a young man. Alot can change between the years.

In Fantastic Beasts he's 45. When he meets Tom Riddle he's 57. I don't know about you, but only 12 years and he looks like THAT?! That either means that Dumbledore's battle with Grindlewald really wore on him or the casting of Jude Law was more for personality and character and less to keep with Dumbledore's on-screen appearance in the past.

The first one would be good because Grindlewald was pretty much wizard Hitler, and honestly adding that element in would only further cement my belief that Rowling is just a fantastic fantasy writer. The second one could be good as well, and, while it would be irritating if Jude Law didn't really channel any of the Dumbledore's before him when his character's age difference really isn't all that big a deal, I still think that picking Jude Law for the reason stated there would definitely be more satisfying than trying to young-up the other dumbledore actor again (if he's still alive/acting, that is).

Of course, the third option is that this all sucks in spite of those, but I'm definitely optimistic since Rowling is so much more involved than she was in the making of The Cursed Child.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
I finally saw the trailer and it looked good. It needs more story exposure as I became lost towards the end of it.

Awards
Harry Potter: the Sorcerer's Stone

So I just watched this movie for the first time! I was super excited cuz it took my mom a ton of convincing to let me for some odd reason( I think she's prejudiced) even though I'd read all the books.

Tbh, I was disappointed in the movie. It didn't live up to my expectations, and it felt like it moved too fast. Some of the characters I felt weren't portrayed to the best the character could be. So I'm gonna say it. The book was better. I like never say that. Normally, I don't really have an opinion. So yeah.

Any thoughts, opinions? What'd y'all think of the movie in comparison?

EDIT: I should probably say that I did like the movie. I was just disappointed. On the upside, it did help with visually representing things! Like, my brain could not grasp Hogwarts when I was reading the books. Or the quidditch field(I kinda just though of a soccer field with baseball field stands. Boring!) Also like the woods and what some characters looked like. That was nice!

Last edited:

ImVentus

Awards
I like all the HP films and usually stay away from ranking them. But Deathly Hallows Part 1 is for sure the golden gem for in the series.

I love how it's staying truer to the book and takes it's time to delve into important story elements. It's also a film that features everything from the previous films even if you don't pay attention to it. The sendoff with Seven Potters is the departure from the innocent Privat Drive in HP1. The Horcruxes tie into the Chamber of Secrets and Half Blood Prince. Sirius room in GP and his connection to his brother ties into the 3rd film. And surprise, surprise characters from GOF delightfully returns (darn they cut Krum) And the fifth with Umbridge back in power. So yeah you have all the 6 films tied into the story for the 7th. Which is why it's a favourite of mine.

It's also another stunning looking film that is masterfully shot with masterpiece quality cinematography. The characterisation of Hermione in this film is fantastic, Gotta give it to Ron as well. And Dobby stole the show with Bellatrix.

This is also one of the only films where I feel that the young actors felt natural in their roles and demonstrated a vast improvement in their emotions. Plus I couldn't be more than happy that they cut the nagging conversation between the Dursleys and instead had them leave (deleted scenes showing a great scene between Dudley & Petunia's sendoff with Harry) Although there are a few changes that I wish they didn't make, I haft to say that they did still respect the source material and had it feel closer than Yates previous adaptations. There are so many things that make Part 1 stand out as both the riskiest and slowest sheep in the bin, but that's another reason to liking it.

I can watch the other HP films just as much, but DH Part 1 is so different and it will age nicely for the very future with all it's achievement.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

Rewatched Fantastic Beasts and where to find them. It was a fun ride and I dug the new additions to the lore/world etc.
I'm excited for the next five ;)

Awards
I like all the HP films and usually stay away from ranking them. But Deathly Hallows Part 1 is for sure the golden gem for in the series.

I love how it's staying truer to the book and takes it's time to delve into important story elements. It's also a film that features everything from the previous films even if you don't pay attention to it. The sendoff with Seven Potters is the departure from the innocent Privat Drive in HP1. The Horcruxes tie into the Chamber of Secrets and Half Blood Prince. Sirius room in GP and his connection to his brother ties into the 3rd film. And surprise, surprise characters from GOF delightfully returns (darn they cut Krum) And the fifth with Umbridge back in power. So yeah you have all the 6 films tied into the story for the 7th. Which is why it's a favourite of mine.

It's also another stunning looking film that is masterfully shot with masterpiece quality cinematography. The characterisation of Hermione in this film is fantastic, Gotta give it to Ron as well. And Dobby stole the show with Bellatrix.

This is also one of the only films where I feel that the young actors felt natural in their roles and demonstrated a vast improvement in their emotions. Plus I couldn't be more than happy that they cut the nagging conversation between the Dursleys and instead had them leave (deleted scenes showing a great scene between Dudley & Petunia's sendoff with Harry) Although there are a few changes that I wish they didn't make, I haft to say that they did still respect the source material and had it feel closer than Yates previous adaptations. There are so many things that make Part 1 stand out as both the riskiest and slowest sheep in the bin, but that's another reason to liking it.

I can watch the other HP films just as much, but DH Part 1 is so different and it will age nicely for the very future with all it's achievement.

That's how I feel about the Deathly Hallows book. Easily my favorite book of all time, within a franchise where virtually all 7 books are in my top 10 books of all time. I make a point of rereading them at least once a year and every time I discover something new about a character or a foreshadowing of a future plot point, etc.

DH, in particular, just tied everything up so nicely and really did a nice job going back and giving us "closure" on virtually everything that happened. The cast of characters in the book was enormous and we saw everyone important again, even some who died (and Rowling did not take the cheap "let's resurrect characters" trick either). It was suspenseful, heartwarming, funny, emotional (to this day I cry when Dobby dies, darn it yes I'm a grown man who literally tears up when a fictional character, an elf no less, dies in a book I have read at least 20 times) and conclusive. The day the book was released I finished it in less than 12 hours, I couldn't put it down. I then reread it the next day, although not in 12 hours.

Sorry I know these posts were about the films and I do thoroughly enjoy the films as well, but not nearly as much as I enjoy the books. I truly love the books.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree that DH Part 1 is easily the best film of the HP film series. It balanced faithfulness to the book/plot with being a good film. Most of the others either shred the plot into an unwatchable mess for the sake of a speedy movie (OotP, GoF, DH part 2) or they focus instead on being so faithful they border on lifeless and stale (PS/SS, CoS). I'd say HBP and PoA are the only other films that come close to being as successful as DH part 1.

That said, I'd take a stale adaptation over an unfaithful adaptation any day.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
That said, I'd take a stale adaptation over an unfaithful adaptation any day.

Why? It can't be good and unfaithful?

I find it odd that a lot of folks insist on just watching the same exact thing as they've read, that there can't otherwise be enjoyment from a retelling.

Elysium

Awards
Not to me, no. If I'm watching to see HP and it isn't going to tell the story of HP, then why even make it? That's like putting together a new version of a Stephen Sondheim musical and cutting the music out.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Not to me, no.

That's not true. You love The Little Mermaid and it's nothing like the author originally intended, yet it's a magical, fun film.

If I'm watching to see HP and it isn't going to tell the story of HP, then why even make it?

Because it's telling you everything your imagination already knew, in a condensed form. A retelling isn't not a telling / loving adaptation, it's just not a stringently verbatim across mediums.

Elysium

Awards
"The Little Mermaid" is a fairy tale, not a convoluted series of novels where cutting out details not only harms the storytelling of the other films in the series, but many of the themes that stretch across the larger framework of the series. The OotP film is honestly tragic in how much of a disgrace it is to the book, jmo.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
So? It's either faithful or it's not. Harry Potter is still one whole story, regardless of the number of bindings between it's pages.

Fandoms can be interesting where they decide to draw the line, and so I'm always curious to understand why. It's pretty typical for fans of one medium (books, games, TV series, etc) to be, more often than not, disgruntled that their expectation of celluloid taking a literal 1:1 transfer didn't come to fruition, as if there's not any creative liberties that should be left to the director, writers, actors, special effects team, even the original creator in some cases - whole swaths of unique, individual artists themselves, to get people interested in reading the books, to pay homage to the book, not to be a clone of the book.

D

Deleted member 246005

I saw The Crimes of Grindelwald on monday and thought it was fun. However it's not as good as the first and a muddled mess at times. Hopefully the next entry picks up the slack.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
For me, I've always been a stickler for at least trying to match the source material. The thing that annoys me the most though is that directors defend horrible changes to already existing stories with "artistic freedom". To me, you gave up on the whole idea of "artistic freedom" by just trying to cash in on something that already exists in other media form. If you want control over it, make something actually unique.

That being said, I don't think HP is in any need of a remake or reboot. And Fantastic Beasts seems to be doing fairly well for a prequel series. If they ever did a new adaptation of HP, I'd personally prefer it if they tried animation, or episodic TV show style. Just to try and play out all the unused stuff from the books that were pretty cool.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
All I'm saying is that McGonogall age thing was embarrassing. Retcon it if you really need to, but don't remove her age on Pottermore so that no one notices that mistake. I don't know if she's added it back or changed it since the latest movie came out, but that was just ludicrous.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
All I'm saying is that McGonogall age thing was embarrassing. Retcon it if you really need to, but don't remove her age on Pottermore so that no one notices that mistake. I don't know if she's added it back or changed it since the latest movie came out, but that was just ludicrous.

Oh wait what? I didn't even know this was a thing, I don't follow Pottermore or anything. XD

That being said, while it is a bit careless to do something like that, at the same time it's not THAT bad. Exact numbers and tiny details like that never mattered that much to me.

SoulXaldin

Awards
I’ve binged watched all the Harry Potter films in November and rewatched Fantastic Beasts 1 today. I really need to see Crimes of Grindelwald. I’m well aware it’s not a good film, but I kinda need to know what happens next. It’s like a weird fulfillment thing.

As for the books, well....
I can’t read for the life of me.

Back