• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, Stardew Valley, Portia and the like.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Veevee

Awards
Hello,
since I love farm simulation games, I wanted to have a thread where you can discuss them all :)
Do you play these games? Which is your favorite and why?

I always had a soft spot for these games. Starting with Friends of Mineral Town, I tried several Harvest Moon games - I love Hero of Leaf Valley - but had a lot of problems with the DS ones for different reasons. Stylus-control only was what kept me from Sunshine Islands (I always threw the stuff on the ground because my DS wouldn't hit the right spot), Harvest Moon DS didn't appeal to me and I never could get into Tale of Two Towns. I love Stardew Valley though, best thing about it is that you can marry everyone - only aspect that bothered me about the game is that I didn't find the bachelors or bachelorettes as appealing as in other games.

I recently started the first Story of Seasons for the first time and boy, it is a slog. On the one hand, I enjoy it, but on the other, the endless tutorial section was really awful and the beginning seems to be really. really. slow. While other Harvest Moons gave me the feeling that I had so much I could do and so little time, this time I rather feel like it's the opposite. Also, I miss some kind of ... direction, some kind of feature to track my progress. I don't know whether I can even get closer to the regular villagers since they don't have hearts or something like that, how I get more traders (ship more? Buy more? Ship diverse? Just wait?) or how I can get access to mines and fishing and other stuff. I feel a little lost with this game, but I hope it's just like that in the beginning.

Now it's your turn, tell me about your farm simulation experience :)

Veevee

Awards
I have never played this kind of game and I would like to try the experionce, which one should I start playing?

I'd honestly say Stardew Valley. It's easily accessible, available on multiple platforms, still gets updates and has even multiplayer support, has all gameplay options Harvest Moon and the likes have and is really addictive. Only the Bachelors and Bachelorettes feel a little weak in comparison to other games (at least to me), but that's only my personal opinion.
The fun in these games is probably the time management part: You have a ton of possible options (farming tasks, foraging, fishing, mining, talking to people, crafting ..) and while you are probably overwhelmed by all of this at first, you'll get the hang of it. You find a daily routine that's best for you but you can change that at will and you have this amazing sense of progress and growth without feeling pressured to get somewhere.
I hope you have a lot of fun!

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
This thread I pretty old, but I just got Stardew Valley recently and am addicted to it. I used to play the old Harvest Moon games and I missed these Farming Sim RPGs

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
That's great! What are you enjoying the most? Do you already have your eyes set on someone? ;)
Well, for my first time I went with a basic farm, and I have a chicken coop and barn already (just beginning year 2 lol). I married Penny, though I know that's a popular choice. If I replay it again I'll probably have a forest farm and marry Abigail though.

My brother went with a fishing farm and is wooing Leah (he's only in his first summer). We would play together but that would involve him getting a Switch and his own copy of the game. Crossplay would do a lot for this game, he's got a PS4 he'd like to get it for but unless we are able to play together it kinda defeats the purpose.

I like that Stardew has a weird Fantasy World aspect to it, with monsters and some war happening in the background. And the characters, while dialogue is pretty limited, I can actually care for. Excited to see what future updates bring.

Veevee

Awards
I really can't wait for the Friends of Mineral Town Remake. Will definitely get it at launch as a reward for finishing my Masters. My mother considers me super weird because I'm way more looking forward to the game than to have finished my education. Who cares about academic success when they can basically play the same game every other year to raise chicken and hit on fictional people by hearing the same dialogue everyday and throwing gift-wrapped wild flowers at them?

Back