• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► HD- it's like, prettier.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
Alright. Now, despite only being able to work part-time and several expenses per month, I can still set aside a little bit of money each month. My girlfriend and I have agreed that for our first major purchase together (we live together) a new TV would be a good choice. Our current set is a huge, 200+ pound Mitsubishi standard definition monster.

Now, we have an 'apartment' consisting of a bedroom and a 'living room'. It's not the largest, but it does suit our needs well. This means that I want something in the 32" to 37" class range, and I want it to be as cheap as possible without sacrificing TOO much. I do plan on getting a PS3 to play Blu-ray, DVDs, games, and possible Netflix streaming.

Do you have any advice, KHI? Please don't break the bank too much; something currently priced around $600 is BARELY do-able, if do-able at all; anywhere from 300-500 is ideal. What sets do you have? Does it work well? Do you like question marks?

Siren

Awards
I actually think that's a decent price; do you have this TV?

My main concern is the set being okay for movies and gaming while being affordable and not taking up too much space.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
No I have a Sony Bravia XBR4 40". I love it, but Sony's can be kind of expensive in comparison to Samsungs so that's why I recommended it. Samsungs are fantastic TVs...I like Sonys better, but like I said, they're a bit more expensive.

That should be pretty good for movies and gaming. HD TVs do not take up much space at all because they are so thin. It's got HDMI too so it's pretty well-equipped.

O

Oberon

Panasonic, despite being a bit pricey, makes their own screens/LCD's. While I don't own one, a friend of mine (who worked in tech fields with tv's and what not) prefers them after using quite a few brands.

I'd go with that. But since price is an issue, idk if that's ideal.

Edit: KDL-32EX500 | 32" BRAVIA EX500 Series HDTV | Sony | Sony Style USA

^ this seems to only have good reviews, and from the looks of it, it seems pretty affordable. Currently on sale for under 600. Might be even less on Amazon or at a Best Buy (BB you'd have to check of course).

Last edited:

Siren

Awards
So after months of looking through everything, comparing prices, and defining what we want in a TV, my girlfriend and I have got our eyes pretty much set on this tv. For those that don't want to click/scroll-over the link, it's a 1080p, 120 Hz, 46" Sony Bravia. Now, we've decided on this one because:
  1. We figure for two college students to be investing hundreds of dollars, we'd better be getting top dollar-or, as close as we can get. Settling for 720p or 60 Hz just doesn't make sense in the long run.
  2. The screen size is an investment in the future that makes sense in the present; while it would be considered 'too large' for our viewing distance, eventually we will have our own place and we'll need something that doesn't look tiny on a living room wall.
  3. The reviews for the product are generally positive; the complaints that I've read seem to run across the board for >$1200 TV sets.
  4. The TV will be used for watching movies, playing games, and (possibly) streaming Netflix. The refresh rate and Motionflow promise (and deliver, from my hours of viewing in Best Buy) a great experience.

The TV will be connected to a PS3; I honestly just don't see a better personal media hub. It plays Bluray, games, streams Netflix, offers access to the internet, and can also run all of our (many) DVDs. Obviously I plan on investing in an HDMI cable to get the best picture quality.

Aside from serving as an update, this post is also a series of questions:

• Based on the criteria that I've listed, can anyone suggest what they think to be a better investment? Like I said, this is a very big deal for a pair of college students.
  • Should I wait to buy the PS3 and TV at the same time in order to enjoy the full HD experience, or should I get one or the other first?

Now, the second one might be kinda 'uh, what?' but here's the thing: we currently have $190 saved up. Over the next three weeks we'll be able to save up around another $450, giving us $640. I'm also selling a paintball accessory that'll probably end up netting anything from $150-250, and if I trade in my DS+DS/PS2 games to Amazon I'll get another $129.

Assuming we decide to get one before the other, does anyone have thoughts on which would make more sense to get first? On the one hand both would be completely usable; on the other, neither is at its best without the other.

Thoughts?

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Its kinda funny because I have the same TV ( that my parents got for $800, and a PS3(which cost me $300 for a refurbished) with a 15f HDMI cable(which my bro got me for $6). If you get the TV and the PS3 at the same time, get an HDMI cable because without it the quality of the picture on the PS3 will look all stretched out. In my opinion, if you can afford a TV and a PS3, go for it. A PS3's a perfect choice for watching Blue Ray movies and SD movies and you can buy even more stuff on the Playstation Store with a PSN card.

Siren

Awards
Go 120 Hz. I've seen the two side-by-side, and if you're playing games/watching pretty much anything with motion, you'll want the 120

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
PFFT? LCD? LED ;D

With the rise of 3D TVs, standard HD LEDs have started to drop drastically in price.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
PFFT? LCD? LED ;D

With the rise of 3D TVs, standard HD LEDs have started to drop drastically in price.

well I dont want a 3D TV, if I get a plasma something bad will most likely happen.

So a 120hz 32-36 inch 720-1080p HD LCD television is what I should get?

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
well I dont want a 3D TV, if I get a plasma something bad will most likely happen.

So a 120hz 32-36 inch 720-1080p HD LCD television is what I should get?

Like I said, LED. I'm not saying to get 3D. That's pretty expensive. BUT because 3D TVs are on the rise, LED is cheaper. So, I'm saying go with LED. The difference is very noticeable from just a regular HD LCD.

Just from a quick search. This for instance:

32" LG 1080p, 3,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, 120 Hz, LED LCD TV - $549 - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+32...HDTV/9789652.p?id=1218175319752&skuId=9789652

Last edited:
O

Oberon

1080p, 120 Hz, 46" Sony Bravia

Thoughts?
<3 Yes.

I'm considering investing in the same brand TV and specs, but I doubt I can go higher than a 32-36". I'll be covering the costs of it myself, so it needs to be just inexpensive enough to not affect me to where I run out of cash/have to use my savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back