• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Heartbroken that I have to admit this but....

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
As someone that vastly prefers melee combat, I still consider KH2 is the best. I have more fun fighting mobs in KH2 than i ever had in KH3 still

Really??? One thing I instantly felt as soon as I played Kh3 for the first time, was that mob fights were vastly imporved on from kh2. Just based on how many more enemies could be fought at once and the size of the battlefields in kh3.

Sure you can get sniped from off screen in kh3, but as long as you keep moving and using crowd control magic you can usually avoid stuff like that.

^Absent nailed what I wanted to say right on the head, especially the pedestal part. If anything's "heartbreaking" to me here, it's KH2's fall from grace for, apparently, being what it's been for over a decade.

I mean, as a counterpoint to "KH2 Sora gameplay doesn't feel like KH3 Sora gameplay", the expectations the game's systems has on you the player isn't the same in both games either? The game's not being unfair expecting you to move at speeds/in ways that you're not capable of/that it hasn't provided for you. You're not playing as KH2 Sora, fighting enemies that behave and move like KH3 enemies, yanno? (...Assuming I'm expressing myself correctly.)

In short, KH2/KH2FM is a lovely, fun, enjoyable game from the mid-2000s (whatever that decade reads as) and you're selling it short just because it doesn't live up to the standards set for KH3.

It's less about me expecting a game from 2006 to be on par with a game from 2019 and more about me remembering the game being WAAAAAY faster than it was, and it actually being pretty slow.

Idk if you've ever played the devil may cry series, but DMC 3 came out around the same time as KH2, and I've always loved both games. DMC 5 came out the same year as KH3 and you can ask anyone who has played DMC 3 and DMC 5 and they'll tell you that DMC 5 is on a whole other level combat wise from DMC 3. That being said, DMC 3 still feels fun and fluid and fast. Playing kh2 felt like playing an Atari game after I've been playing kh3 for so long. It was just jarring how great the difference in speed and fluidity was.

I never understood why people placed Kingdom Hearts 2 on a high pedestal. The game was above average but nothing revolutionary. Kingdom Hearts 1 had the luxury of introducing the concept of mixing Disney with other properties so it could stand above other games during its time. When you compare two things it is very important to understand the context of how and why it happened. The time period and the industry at the time are the foundation to those games.

Is KH2 weirdly regarded as the best KH game by a majority? Perhaps.

Is it fair to compare a 2019 game to a 2005/2006 one and say that the new one plays better?

I mean it should play better. It has to or else something is VERY wrong.

I think a more fair discussion is how the story was treated and executed between the two entries.

PS: I also think that KH3 plays WAY better than 2 but I really don't agree with the idea of bringing KH2 into every discussion and comparing it to a new and innovative game from a decade later.

You're right. In most cases it isnt fair to compare games from different decades in terms of quality.

But there's exceptions to every rule, and what's so crazy to me, was that for damn near half of my life I thought KH2 was one of those exceptions. Realizing now that it isn't, just messed with my head.

It's completely my fault because I guess I made myself think the game was greater than it really was.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
Really??? One thing I instantly felt as soon as I played Kh3 for the first time, was that mob fights were vastly imporved on from kh2. Just based on how many more enemies could be fought at once and the size of the battlefields in kh3.

Sure you can get sniped from off screen in kh3, but as long as you keep moving and using crowd control magic you can usually avoid stuff like that.
This is why i don't find mob fights fun in KH3. The increased amount of enemies on screen didn't make things better. Mobs ended up being just fodder that you just nuke, forget and keep on moving. Not only were they rarely any threat they were just placed haphazardly in huge groups.

The smaller more focused fights in KH2 will always be more fun for me because of that. Years later i still remember the likes of Crimson Jazz, Hot rods, Dancers, Necromancers, Magic Phantoms etc. All threats that i'm like "Shit" when i see them but i liked that aspect and was fun trying to deal with them. Can't say i'll remember much mobs in KH3 besides them being mildly annoying that i ended up blowing up in 3 secs. KH3 leans too much to being more Dynasty warriors-esque with mob fights which is not appealing to me

Awards
This is why i don't find mob fights fun in KH3. The increased amount of enemies on screen didn't make things better. Mobs ended up being just fodder that you just nuke, forget and keep on moving. Not only were they rarely any threat they were just placed haphazardly in huge groups.

The smaller more focused fights in KH2 will always be more fun for me because of that. Years later i still remember the likes of Crimson Jazz, Hot rods, Dancers, Necromancers, Magic Phantoms etc. All threats that i'm like "Shit" when i see them but i liked that aspect and was fun trying to deal with them. Can't say i'll remember much mobs in KH3 besides them being mildly annoying that i ended up blowing up in 3 secs. KH3 leans too much to being more Dynasty warriors-esque with mob fights which is not appealing to me

That's fair. They're definitely two different experiences. I just prefer the chaotic epicness of Kh3 mob fights (especially the battlegate ones)

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
As of now, I'm enjoying KH3RM far more than KH2FM, but 2FM still has some advantages that are hard to ignore. KH2's camera, smoothness, and integration of its systems is superior to KH3, even now. The drive gauge is superior to the random situation arrows, and the summons of KH2 blow the summons of KH3 out of the water when it comes to creativity and game implementation.

Wisdom, Master, and Final forms all have unique forms of magic that are fun and interesting to use in fights. KH3's formchanges go a different way, with there being 3 templates for formchange magic, and none are particularly fun to use in comparison to KH2's more fluid and stylish magic.

The issue is, KH3RM just has more stuff. You have a buttload of formchanges to mess around with, shotlocks, AIR STEP, grand magic, and I actually prefer Sora's new combo in 3RM to anything in 2FM (I do miss specific aerial finishers tho). Being able to switch keyblades, store transformations, and mess around in fights is just so addicting in KH3. AND you can play more safely, air-guarding, rolling out of combo, mid-combo guarding, FINISHER CANCELLING

I'd say they're neck and neck but I'm honeymooning with KH3 right now

Back