• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help with Dark Tower by Stephen King

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

the Rainmaker

Hi, I've tried searching the forum for this but didn't find too much...I am thinking about (re-)starting Stephen King's Dark Tower series. The only thing I've read by Stephen King other than his "On Writing" memoir is "The Shining", and I loved it. I kinda have this thing against sexually explicit material and loads of swearing in literature, which is why King has always been a turn-off for me, but I was able to take "The Shining" pretty well.

I tried starting "Gunslinger" a while ago and I put it down because I just couldn't understand what on earth was going on. And I think I remember that there was something really graphic going on with some weird kind of child birth, but I can't remember. Anyway, can anyone give me recommendations? For someone who can stand a bit of swearing (but not like "Rainbow Six" or something) but hates running into dirty stuff, is Dark Tower for me?

Manchester Black

Famous for Nothing
Awards
For someone who can stand a bit of swearing (but not like "Rainbow Six" or something) but hates running into dirty stuff, is Dark Tower for me?

Absolutely not.

I didn't find the Dark Tower books to be crude in the least, but I'm offended by very little. From the sounds of things, excessive swearing, sex, and the like offend you. The Dark Tower series has these things. The books aren't filled with swearing and tons of sexual things, but such things are present.

If you can look beyond such things, then I highly suggest you read the entire series. I have (several times through, actually), and I absolutely love it. It is a great and epic tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back