• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Politics Hey Americans...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I'm tired of people downplaying what these scum were willing to do once they breached the captial. Even people who look down on them are still saying "they were just messing around and getting their frustration out".

They came in armed to the teeth that borders on a militia, they brought zip cuffs which pretty much assures they were willing to hold the people hostage, they planted pipe bombs within and around the captial, and they hung a noose right outside it (for Mike Pence presumably since they chanted his name as a betrayer, but anyone with a limited knowledge of US history knows it's more disturbing implication).

Trump tweeted how he won't attend the Inauguration, which to me says he's giving his cult followers the message "I won't be there so you have free reign to do what you want without me being harmed" and not him being a sore loser like usual. I assume (hope) by now these terrorists aren't underestimated in what they are willing to do for their cult leader, and that the Inauguration is fully secured and protected for miles around, and we won't have more national tragedies.

At this point Trump needs to be in prison and not only impeached.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
The Capitol Police is being investigated. This could be more of an issue of elements of the Capitol Police being part of the Coup than racism (even though there's an issue of systemic racism in the US).

Or a combination of both.
I think it's likely both, some of them might have been in on it, but there's been a history of MAGA protesters being treated with kiddy gloves even when they break the law.

You can see clearly that some of these cops were fully on board and cheering these guys on while others were actually doing their job trying to keep them out. One of the good ones that stood out was the guy, who actively lured them away from where the congress people were at his own risk.

redcrown

Awards
I think it's likely both, some of them might have been in on it, but there's been a history of MAGA protesters being treated with kiddy gloves even when they break the law.

You can see clearly that some of these cops were fully on board and cheering these guys on while others were actually doing their job trying to keep them out. One of the good ones that stood out was the guy, who actively lured them away from where the congress people were at his own risk.

Eugene Goodman was the officers name. For anyone who's interested there's a petition for him to be awarded the Medal of Honor for what he did and prevented.

Also there's talk of these lunatics having "armed protests" in the capitol of every state sometime this week. Anyone who lives in or works or commutes there, stay safe and if possible try to avoid going there if you can.

Immigrating to Canada has never looked more sensible than now for me.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Eugene Goodman was the officers name. For anyone who's interested there's a petition for him to be awarded the Medal of Honor for what he did and prevented.

It's such courageous people a democracy needs as defenders.

Luckily the USA seems to have many of those people among its populace unlike Germany 1933, so hopefully Trump and his mob of right-wing terrorists won't be able to overthrow the democratic systems.

Every member of the Republican Party who still has a modicum of sense left should support the Democrats in preventing Trump from ever running again and clean house in their own party away from extremism.
They should listen to Arnold Schwarzenegger who pretty much summed it up neatly:

Also there's talk of these lunatics having "armed protests" in the capitol of every state sometime this week. Anyone who lives in or works or commutes there, stay safe and if possible try to avoid going there if you can.

Immigrating to Canada has never looked more sensible than now for me.

Luckily the leaders of the US Army recently reinforced their pledge to defend the constitution and democracy, so perhaps if Trump's army of idiots and QAnon lunatics try another stunt such as with the capitol they will finally get a more decisive answer.

On a side note, Joe Biden's aim to "reconcile the country" is noble and all, but I strongly doubt he can even reach most of these radicals even on a basic level.
It's extremely difficult to reach understanding ground with people who refuse to acknowledge proven facts and live in their own reality made of a web of lies and prejudiced notions.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I heard Mitch b- is looking into joining the impeachment efforts. If Joe Biden is the one that swayed him to do that, then I give him credit.

What I hate/fear with Joe Biden is that he's just going to cowtow the Republican line instead of holding onto his own policies and morals. "Working together with Republicans" should mean finding policy you can both agree on, not just going with the republican made policy because they refuse to sign onto anything else and I hope the Democrats coming into power understand that.

If not, then..... well. A better smarter Trump could be born and possibly destroy this country for real.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Sounds like Trump was impeached for the second time! I hope this leads to him being banned from running ever again. I also want to echo above that a smarter Trump could come and destroy us. Which is why we need to learn from these four years and make sure we never get another tyrant like this ever again. New laws and rules to prevent a 'smart' Trump need to happen.

HeartsProdigy

Awards
Sounds like Trump was impeached for the second time! I hope this leads to him being banned from running ever again. I also want to echo above that a smarter Trump could come and destroy us. Which is why we need to learn from these four years and make sure we never get another tyrant like this ever again. New laws and rules to prevent a 'smart' Trump need to happen.

Though I love the idea, we all know that anyone who runs in any elections wears their best angel-like suits while showing their biggest smiles in the public. Like what Trump did when he ran in 2016. So I doubt we will ever learn about this kind of mistake.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Though I love the idea, we all know that anyone who runs in any elections wears their best angel-like suits while showing their biggest smiles in the public. Like what Trump did when he ran in 2016. So I doubt we will ever learn about this kind of mistake.
Calling all Mexicans imigrating to the US criminals was Trumps most angle-like suit?
He never hid what he was, people just always apologized for him and tried to paraphrase things in more exceptable ways.

The next guy probably wont be as obvious. Or maybe they'll continue to try and pass it off as jokes.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
What you need is an educated populace. While there will always be a difference of opinion, having people who aren't naive goes a long way in preventing people like Trump in getting any votes to begin with.

HeartsProdigy

Awards
Calling all Mexicans imigrating to the US criminals was Trumps most angle-like suit?
He never hid what he was, people just always apologized for him and tried to paraphrase things in more exceptable ways.

The next guy probably wont be as obvious. Or maybe they'll continue to try and pass it off as jokes.

Well, true. Unfortunately though, after 4 years, he still had those backs of the people who supported him in the 2015 election.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I hope this leads to him being banned from running ever again.
It should. An impeached Presidente is inhabilitated from occupying the Presidency now and forever.

By the way: an impeachment is a political trial, not a criminal one, meaning that the legal definition of incitement doesn't necessarily apply here. Thus, it's a bit of a much more subjective and arbitrary process rather than a purely technical and criminalist one.

TL;DR - Trump's screwed.

New laws and rules to prevent a 'smart' Trump need to happen.
Constitutionally-wise, a "Trump" can be restrained in office. In terms of preventing one to enter, that's entirely on the party that's sponsoring the candidacy.

I.E. If another Trump runs in the GOP, it's entirety up to them to stop it.

Like what Trump did when he ran in 2016.
Like a fellow member said, Trump did the opposite of that. He appealed to his base precisely by being a nasty politician.

What you need is an educated populace. While there will always be a difference of opinion, having people who aren't naive goes a long way in preventing people like Trump in getting any votes to begin with.
Pretty much this. You need to identify the least educated parts of the nation and focus on those.

Because yikes, after shouting #LockHerUp for four whole years, not locking her up and still voting for Trump really is ridiculous.

Useful idiots.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Pretty much this. You need to identify the least educated parts of the nation and focus on those.
I'm not entirely sure it's a matter of education. These people, among many things, are also business owners, teachers, doctors and nurses. I can't see too many low income working class people really being able to afford flying to Washington.

Education is important, but i think it's more important to deradicalized these people and look where radicalization happens to prevent further people from being poisoned. Figure out why they were vulnerable and where they were radicalized and figure out the strategies to counteract it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I do agree education plays a role here, but many of these people are college educated.

It's a big mess of issues combined in one. Education, religious views, regional population, upbringing, so on and so forth. Also identity politics have really hurt America. People see their political party as a foundational aspect of themselves. Many Republicans are one-issue voters. They can disagree with 99% of what somebody is saying, but if they like 1% of something that really matters to them, then they are likely to vote for them.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
It's like they say, too many people see politics in this country like sports. They wear their team colors and no matter how badly they do in the finals, they ALWAYS defend their team.

This is expressly why I decided not to join any political party. I have that luxury since my state doesn't require party affiliation to vote in primaries. And this is not a "both sides are bad!" argument. There is no denying that many people in this country who consider themselves conservatives have gone off the deep end and it's being encouraged by party leaders.

Like, theoretically, there's nothing wrong with being a conservative, someone who wants to make sure the government isn't given too much power, reduce needless regulation on things that don't need regulation, or make sure the government isn't being wasteful with taxpayer money.

But these days, conservatism means "Climate change is a hoax, carbon emissions are good actually. The people don't need $2000 checks, but rich people need another tax break because they're suffering. Of course we want to add another trillion to the military budget. Public education is unnecessary, if you can't afford private or charter schools, maybe you don't need an education. Oh and also the civil war was about states rights, not slavery."

I'm sure if conservatives got in their right minds again, some lefties (not sure about democrats honestly) would love to slash some military spending, wasteful spending on endless wars, and put it back into our economy you know?

I'm sure Democrats and Republicans could find some old regulations from the 1850's to take off the books if they're no longer necessary and make the law more readable.

I'm sure Democrats and Republicans could find some tax loopholes rich people and corporations use to get out of paying their taxes.

But like I said, it seems like "conservatives" have fallen off the deep end and I'm not sure how they're going to get out of it. Maybe they always believed in this stuff and are now just expressing it openly for the first time in their lives? I dunno

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards

As others in this thread have said, there are plenty of professionals who buy into Trumpism.

Trump voters aren't naïve, they're racist.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm sure there's some poor unfortunate souls that were lured into the cult on false pretenses of "making America great", but the people at the Capitol that day were not them.

Back