• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Hidden Gems

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

kaseykockroach

Awards
Been playing a N64 platformer called Rocket: Robot on Wheels and have been delighted at what a colorful, creative and super-duper-fun game this is. It's not especially surprising, since this was by the same folks that would go on to create Sly Cooper, so these guys already knew a thing or two about good game design. But what did baffle me was that this game got fairly positive reviews overall, but faded into obscurity fast and it's difficult to find anyone else that's heard of this game today, let alone gives it the appreciation I'd say it deserves.
I suppose it's understandable. This game came out around the time that you had Spyro, Rayman, Ape Escape and so on. So it's only natural that the poor adorable robot got overshadowed. But it's been a relief and joy discovering the N64 offers other platformers that suit my tastes beyond the obvious choices (Mario and Banjo)!
Anyhow, whaddya say ya'll take this thread as a venue to gush about games you feel don't get enough love and attention? Or perhaps even underrated consoles, that works too. You might indirectly lead someone to discover a game they'd really like that they wouldn't have heard of otherwise!

Veevee

Awards
A lot of the Yugioh spinoffs actually had really good ideas. Dungeon Dice Monsters was really fun, but suffered from a lack of content and balancing. Capsule Monsters Coliseum had cool gameplay, but also lacked balance a bit and was pretty easy. Destiny Board Traveler had a horrid "battle" system, but cool maps. Duelists of the Roses was so slow and way to hard, but I remember how I longed to play it. Sacred Cards / Reshef of Destruction suffered mostly from the poor engine that made battles so. freaking. slow - the game would check whether an effect activates every second to recalculate it even though it stays the same nearly all the time and it made everything so slow.

With a little polishing here and there, these games could've been really good. I kinda miss them.
Also, the Pokemon Trading Card Game was great, also Pokemon Snap and Pinball and it's a shame we never got sequels. It's sad that these spinoffs obviously never sell enough when they try so hard to make something new, while the main series does the same thing all the time and has huge success.

Soldier

Awards
The Tak series, specifically the 3rd one. My god is it a fun time with a second controller and person present. It's probably the ONLY way you'd be able to beat the final boss.

Vulpes XIII

Awards
The Rune factory series definitely deserves more attention than it gets. It‘s a spin-off series of the Harvest Moon/ Story of Seasons franchise. Although it shares the farming and romance mechanics that are found within the Harvest Moon games, Rune Factory focuses a lot on exploring dungeons and fighting/taming monsters as well as making/upgrading weapons and armour

2 quid is good

Awards
A little puzzle/platformer game for PS2 called kuri kuri mix, it's been something my family's played for years and the cute graphics and simple controls could fool you, but this game is tough! I also recently found out it was made by FromSoftware which actually made quite a lot of sense imo

Back