• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Homework Help

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

very differentiable
Awards
You don't even know what elements are, do you. An element is the single atom or in the case of some elements, two atoms of the element. It's a mixture, not a single agent.

very differentiable
Awards
I'm not even going to argue with his BS anymore, he doesn't know shit.

Gatorade

Naturally, we called it Gatorade
Since no one else is really using this thread, I guess I will. I'm doing my review packet for honors Algebra 2. I have the answer key and some of my answers don't match up with the key:
1) -1/2m(-1/2m) -1/2m-1/2m

I got m^4 but the answer key says 1/4m^2-m.
Anyone know how to do this?

I have another question but idk how to type it on the computer so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Edit: Simplify equation, with m being the variable.

Last edited:

Lifes.Lover

For the deeds of today resonate....
Website
lifes-lover18.livejournal.com
Since no one else is really using this thread, I guess I will. I'm doing my review packet for honors Algebra 2. I have the answer key and some of my answers don't match up with the key:
1) -1/2m(-1/2m) -1/2m-1/2m

I got m^4 but the answer key says 1/4m^2-m.
Anyone know how to do this?

I have another question but idk how to type it on the computer so I'm not gonna worry about it.

I have absolutely no idea what the question is asking for. Do they want it to be solved, with M being the variable?

Gatorade

Okay. So, they want to simplify the equation, basically, because it can't be solved with M unknown. Am I right?
no, i said the actual answer in my original post. m is actually unsolved. Just left as m. This is probably a very simple problem, but i'm unsure of how to do it.

Lifes.Lover

Website
That's basically what I said. They want the equation simplified. It can't be solved because M is unkown.

Alright, so the problem is -1/2m(-1/2m) - 1/2m - 1/2m.

Okay, first, you get rid of the parenthesis, as per the order of operations. So, what's -1/2 times -1/2? The negatives cancel out, leaving it positive. 1/2 times 1/2 is 1/4. Then, you tack on m. And that's as far as I can help you, because the way I do the rest of the equation leaves you with -1/4m. Sorry. It's been a while since I had Algebra. The only thing I can think is that when you multiply the two m's together through the parentheses it leaves you with 1/4m^2. And then you subtract -1, leaving you with -1/4m^2. Huh, it really has been awhile. Sorry, I don't think I can help you. It's been about two and a half years since I've had Algebra 2. I tend to forget what horrifies me.

Gatorade

That's basically what I said. They want the equation simplified. It can't be solved because M is unkown.

Alright, so the problem is -1/2m(-1/2m) - 1/2m - 1/2m.

Okay, first, you get rid of the parenthesis, as per the order of operations. So, what's -1/2 times -1/2? The negatives cancel out, leaving it positive. 1/2 times 1/2 is 1/4. Then, you tack on m. And that's as far as I can help you, because the way I do the rest of the equation leaves you with -1/4m. Sorry. It's been a while since I had Algebra. The only thing I can think is that when you multiply the two m's together through the parentheses it leaves you with 1/4m^2. And then you subtract -1, leaving you with -1/4m^2. Huh, it really has been awhile. Sorry, I don't think I can help you. It's been about two and a half years since I've had Algebra 2. I tend to forget what horrifies me.
Hahaha it's ok. Thanks for the help though. I'll keep trying.

Let's see if anyone can do this one. The answer is No Solution. I don't see how it's no solution:

l (x/2) - 5 l = -1

l = absolute value. Solve the equation.

Last edited:

Lifes.Lover

Website
Ah, okay. This one I can do. You've got to find the answer and then find if that answer is equal to -1.

So x/2 - 5. Just turn 5 into a fraction, too. So it would be x/2 - 5/1. Assume that there's a 1 in front of the x. Also, find the LCD of 1 and 2, which is 2, and then multiply 5/1 by 2. So it would then be 10/2. Now subtract. 1-5= -4. -4/2, which would make it -2. Take the absolute value of -2, and you get 2. Absolute value just means make it positive, always.

So, does -2=-1? No.

However, to skip having to do any work, look at the answer. The answer is a -1. If you have absolute value signs, then any answer that you get will automatically be positive, meaning that the answer, even if it was 1, couldn't be right because the answer has a negative sign.

Gatorade

Ah, okay. This one I can do. You've got to find the answer and then find if that answer is equal to -1.

So x/2 - 5. Just turn 5 into a fraction, too. So it would be x/2 - 5/1. Assume that there's a 1 in front of the x. Also, find the LCD of 1 and 2, which is 2, and then multiply 5/1 by 2. So it would then be 10/2. Now subtract. 1-5= -4. -4/2, which would make it -2. Take the absolute value of -2, and you get 2. Absolute value just means make it positive, always.

So, does -2=-1? No.

However, to skip having to do any work, look at the answer. The answer is a -1. If you have absolute value signs, then any answer that you get will automatically be positive, meaning that the answer, even if it was 1, couldn't be right because the answer has a negative sign.
Ahh okay I see what I was doing wrong, thanks so much!

Gatorade

Alright. One more. I have the equation y= -4/5x - 4. How do I find the x-intercept from this. I know this is probably really simple, I just forget.

I should seriously change the name of this thread to "RoxasOwns' Homework Help" lol

Alright. One more. I have the equation y= -4/5x - 4. How do I find the x-intercept from this. I know this is probably really simple, I just forget.

Just substitue 0 in for y. Then, solve for x. Your x-intercept should be -5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back