• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How about Kingdom Hearts x Dragon Quest?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I feel like they could easily make an entire game based on this concept in the future. The graphical styles of Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts III seem very compatible!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I...I guess I don't like Dragon Quest enough to really want this...

Just from a western perspective, I don't think it'd have much appeal to the niche market of DQ fans out there. I suppose in Japan, it would be more about "why is KH crossing over with DQ?"

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
To be fair, isn't KH less popular in Japan? Kind of like a reverse situation. I also think it would make for a good opportunity to introduce DQ to more people outside of Japan. I know a lot of people who got into FF due to having played KH first.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
To be fair, isn't KH less popular in Japan? Kind of like a reverse situation.

That was why I said Japanese fans would be wondering why KH is crossing into DQ. It's not a monumentally huge series there, so they wouldn't think of it crossing over and probably would think it is as random as western fans seeing DQ cross into KH.

I also think it would make for a good opportunity to introduce DQ to more people outside of Japan. I know a lot of people who got into FF due to having played KH first.

I would say it could work looking at it that way, but it also could backfire in just leaving people as confused as they were when TWEWY was introduced in Kingdom Hearts. Outside of the people who liked the idea or understood it, either people were upset about it or just thought the TWEWY cast were original characters.

DQ I feel like is an even bigger beast because people recognize it enough to know about it by name but not enough to care about the cast, which is where it'd backfire a bit.

Mainly my biggest issue with this is that we barely see FF crossing over into Kingdom Hearts and the games don't even handle the Disney stuff in them well, so until they fix those two problem they probably need to hold off on adding or crossing over anything else with the series.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
From a more objective perspective, Akira Toriyama's artstyle is far too drastically different from Nomura's art to be compatiable. The human characters wouldn't work. The best you can have in terms of Dragon Quest characters would be Slimes and King Slimes in Kingdom Hearts acting like Moogles.

Personally, I am perplexed as to why there hasn't been a Dragon Quest x Final Fantasy mix ever since the merger of Squaresoft and Enix back at 2003...

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
From a more objective perspective, Akira Toriyama's artstyle is far too drastically different from Nomura's art to be compatiable. The human characters wouldn't work.

I mean, let's be fair.

Cloud went from looking like this http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...ortrait.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080926214004 to this https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f5/KingdomHeartsCloud.jpg

And a more drastic comparison, before KH2 Setzer looked like this: https://finalfashionista.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/ffvi_setzerrelm.jpg

Art style doesn't really matter in a series that's based on showcasing multiple art styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back