• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How could a non-native speaker improve its English?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

des97

Awards
Hey guys, it's been a while since the last time I opened a thread. Yeah, the question is: how could I improve my English (mainly writin', but speakin' too)? As you coulda noticed, I ain't English/American, but Italian. For example, I find it difficult to understand the lyrics of my favourite songs. So, what's your personal advice? Tell me soon. Thank you fellas.

Last edited:

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Take more classes, try to read books in English, watch movies/listen to music in English.
That's what I did when I was learning Spanish in 7th and 8th grade, so I assume it'll work when trying to learn English too.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Watch American/English cartoons with subtitles if you need.

Or watch a movie in Italian with English subtitles and then the same movie except in English with Italian subtitles.

des97

Awards
Take more classes, try to read books in English, watch movies/listen to music in English.
That's what I did when I was learning Spanish in 7th and 8th grade, so I assume it'll work when trying to learn English too.
Was thinkin' to buy an English book, an easy one, of course. But as for movies, it'd be kinda impossible to understand what they say (never tried, I assume it's so, I ain't totally sure). But yeah, thinkin' 'bout it, it's not a bad idea.

Watch American/English cartoons with subtitles if you need.
Or watch a movie in Italian with English subtitles and then the same movie except in English with Italian subtitles.
Interesting. Gonna try.

Last edited:

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
Interesting. Gonna try.

My American History Professor's son-in-law's mother originally spoke Spanish, but learned English from watching cartoons. I would suggest to begin in Italian, and flip-flop from Italian to English and vice versatile. You're going to lose a bit of wording here and there due to translation, but you'll probably get used to English :D

des97

Awards
My American History Professor's son-in-law's mother originally spoke Spanish, but learned English from watching cartoons. I would suggest to begin in Italian, and flip-flop from Italian to English and vice versatile. You're going to lose a bit of wording here and there due to translation, but you'll probably get used to English :D
Thank you very much. I really appreciated your advice. And Luap911's one too.
If anyone else has different suggestions, just tell me. :)

Black Rose Witch

JRPG Fan
Immerse yourself in english culture by listening to english music, watching movies, and cartoons, tv shows. learn about the culture of america or something, just immerse yourself completely. if you have a passion for it, or have a lover who speaks native english, your motivation or drive to learn it will cause you to become extremely skilled.

june

As you coulda noticed, I ain't English/American, but Italian. For example, I find it difficult to understand the lyrics of my favourite songs. So, what's your personal advice? Tell me soon. Thank you fellas.

haha, happen the same to me :') though I speak spanish.
I do watch cartoons/series I can improve my understanding in english and as for grammar, most of the inet pages I visit are in english.
But I haven't done anything for the spoken part. I don't know how my pronunciation is right now xD I haven't spoken english in a while :I I don't have anyone to practice with even when most of my friends speak english like me.

O

Oberon

immerse yourself in it more. listen to radio, read, everything. talk to people in english if you can find them (speaking and writing).

take classes if you want to learn the technical aspects like grammar and what have you. But you seem to have that pretty well.

des97

Awards
immerse yourself in it more. listen to radio, read, everything. talk to people in english if you can find them (speaking and writing).
Yeah, I tried to listen to BBC a while ago, I didn't understand so much, but I understood at least what they were talkin' about.
take classes if you want to learn the technical aspects like grammar and what have you. But you seem to have that pretty well.
Thank you dude. :D

haha, happen the same to me :') though I speak spanish.
I do watch cartoons/series I can improve my understanding in english and as for grammar, most of the inet pages I visit are in english.
But I haven't done anything for the spoken part. I don't know how my pronunciation is right now xD I haven't spoken english in a while :I I don't have anyone to practice with even when most of my friends speak english like me.
Seems watchin' cartoons is the best and easier way. I don't really know if my pronunciation is OK, since I've never had the opportunity to talk with an English speaker.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
If it's writing help you need, I assume you also need help with your vocabulary. If that's the case, then the best advice would be to just read stuff in English. Whenever you come across a word you don't know, look it up. It'll also help you learn phrases, idioms, figures of speech that aren't exactly easy to translate.

I'm a native Spanish speaker, but my ability to speak it/write it is completely sub par to my English abilities. It's been improving ever since I've starting talking to other Spanish speakers and writing/chatting to my cousins on Facebook.

june

I'm a native Spanish speaker, but my ability to speak it/write it is completely sub par to my English abilities. It's been improving ever since I've starting talking to other Spanish speakers and writing/chatting to my cousins on Facebook.

LOLwut? so your english is better than your spanish o,o? That usually happen to native Spanish speaker who leaved at an english speaker country when they were young o,o

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
LOLwut? so your english is better than your spanish o,o? That usually happen to native Spanish speaker who leaved at an english speaker country when they were young o,o

If you mean that it happens to native speakers who leave for an English speaking country at a young age, then yes. I left my country at a very young age. I can understand it and read it fairly well, but I have a hard time expressing myself the same way I do in English. If I had a broader vocabulary, it'd be so much easier.

june

If you mean that it happens to native speakers who leave for an English speaking country at a young age, then yes. I left my country at a very young age. I can understand it and read it fairly well, but I have a hard time expressing myself the same way I do in English. If I had a broader vocabulary, it'd be so much easier.

Pero y tus padres D:? Don't they speak Spanish?

Ip Man

IIIIZAAAAAYAAAAA
I too have a hard time understanding lyrics to songs as well, so Im always looking up lyrics on the web, even though my English speaking/writing/reading abilities surpass my Spanish skills and I was born and raised in Mexico. Same goes for some dialogue in movies.

des97

Awards
If it's writing help you need, I assume you also need help with your vocabulary. If that's the case, then the best advice would be to just read stuff in English. Whenever you come across a word you don't know, look it up. It'll also help you learn phrases, idioms, figures of speech that aren't exactly easy to translate.
Yeah, sometimes I find it difficult to express what I'd like to say.

Black Rose Witch

JRPG Fan
Also forgot to say to hang out with people who speak the language and also try to force yourself to be in situations where you have to speak that language

des97

Awards
Good news guys! I tried to watch cartoons (like mi favourite anime Yu-Gi-Oh!) and I understood a lot of things, yeah, I didn't expect so much: that's been a turn up for the book! But the surprises aren't over yet! I watched a movie and I gotta say that I understood very well the plot and other things. Ok, maybe you don't care 'bout that, but I'm so happy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back