• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How did Young Xehanort...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Heart2Heart

Awards
So, I get that the time travel in this series is complicated, but biggest headscratcher for me is this: How did Young Xehanort time travel a second time after DDD? (Keep in mind I haven't played KH3 yet, but I get the gist) Because if I'm not mistaken, at the end of DDD, Young Xehanort and the other 11 members of the New Organization XIII all went back to their respective times, because presumably they all were from different points in time. Young Xehanort went back to Destiny Islands and forgot he ever encountered Ansem and was sent to travel forwards in time...

Xehanort's Heartless (Ansem) should technically have a linear storyline of 1. Come into existence 2. Cast off his "body" and travel back to Destiny Islands to when Young Xehanort was there 3. Speak to him and give him the power of forward time travel 4. Stay there until the events of KH 5. Take Riku's body 6. Be sent forward in time by Young Xehanort and participate in DDD 7. Return to the end of KH with no memories of DDD 8. Be killed off by the light of Kingdom Hearts beyond the Door to Darkness 7. Reform Master Xehanort. So... Who or what causes time travel to reoccur for Young Xehanort?

Zetsumei

Awards
If you're talking about traveling forward to be one the members of the 'real organization XIII', it was explained in re:mind that his heart was summoned forward in time and placed in a replica, along with Xemnas, Ansem Seeker of Darkness, Riku Replica, and Vanitas.

What's not really clear is exactly how this was achieved. From the information we have available, the only known method for traveling forward in time is by using the machine known as the 'ark' which Maleficent used to return from the Ux time period. Presumably, Lauriam, Elrena, and Ventus also used this method. There's also the technique that Luxu used to summon the foretellers to the present, but again, we have no information as to how that was achieved either.

okhi12

Awards
It's not explained at all, but I think when Master Xehanort returned he inherited the time travel power from his heartless, because of something that is stated about him in KH3. But I won't spoil anything, don't worry.

Maybe Young Xehanort's return in KH3 is Master Xehanort's doing. Or maybe Ansem (Xehanort's heartless) went to bring him after his own return. Another possibility is Young Xehanort retained the time travel power that was granted to him and used it again because he was destined to. After all, he stated that once he returned to his own time he would have no memory about his time travel journey but his destined path was etched on his heart. I always thought that was nothing more than a -rather poor- excuse to explain the fact that he would return in KH3. Like he just followed his fate and he unknowingly arrived in KH3 time, lol. But to be honest that's just the kind of thing that one would expect in a KH game, isn't it?
Sora does those kind of things all the time.

Now I remember that the ReMind DLC begins with an ominous scene that tries to explain how the darknesses returned, but it doesn't provide much info and does a bad job at explaining it. I don't remember if it discusses Young Xehanort's return at all.

Edit: I've been ninja'd by Zetsumei, haha.

Zetsumei

Awards
What I suspect may be happening in the case of the Foretellers is that they are not only traveling through time, but also through space.

In the secret reports, Luxu speaks of a "trick that allowed the Dandelions to transfer to other worldlines after the Keyblade War " and suggests that Keyblade Masters on the level of the Fortellers would be capable of such a thing. It's this same trick that I think Luxu used to summon the Foretellers. Although this would mean that they were summoned not only from a different time, but from another worldline, the worldline from before the Keyblade War.

Kairi's grandmother tells us that the world was destroyed and then remade from the hearts of children. This is exactly what MoM says the role of the Dandelions will be once they arrive in the new worldline. So we can assume that the worldline we play the main KH games in, is the same worldline that the Dandelions escaped to.

If we assume that time is experienced separately in separate worldlines, then crossing from one worldline to another should allow you to arrive at a different point in time than the time that you left in your original worldline. What seems to be necessary to arrive at specific point in time is for someone to be there already to act as a marker for your destination. In the case of the Foretellers, it would seem Luxu is this marker. Darkness speaks of such a thing being necessary when he explains his reasoning for sending Malificent back to the future.

While it's possible Luxu/Xigbar could have used this same ability to bring the hearts of those 5 seekers forward in time to be placed in replicas, I don't really think that's the case. The main reason being Luxu seemed to be hiding his true identity from Xehanort, and using such a technique could have given away his identity as one of the Foretellers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 252753

I can't make it all make sense but if Xehanort needed to separate his heart from his body to travel through time then I don't see why his present self shouldn't be able to do that to retrieve Young Xehanort again. Separating hearts from bodies does seem to be his specialty, after all.

Heart2Heart

Awards
Yeah, I even basically get that it's 50/50 whether you have to be pure heart to time travel backwards (or initially at all?) or if it can be retained by you and/or other versions after the initial incident OR if simply having your body split from your body unlocks this option.... (Only a little complicated because ASD is a Heartless, so *basically* just a heart, but to really sell it, he does cast off the physical form to become the Cloaked Figure, explaining his unique nature of needing to possess Riku like he did, he makes it so YX can travel... but he travels forward instead of back, and ASD either stays behind because he has no choice, or by MX's design, it's confirmed now that Maleficent did so AS her dragon body died, etc)

But the biggest question isn't if YX is *capable* of time travel after the fact, but how he knows to do so. I suppose the Replica thing basically is a reasonable answer... So the replica is capable of time travel I suppose, for being a "version of Xehanort" (or the replica replicates the time travel power, either way) and he never left when the real YX bounced back to his time.

AR829038

Awards
I've always operated under the assumption that YX never directly went back to his own time after DDD, but rather travelled further into the future to the point when his KH3 replica body was prepared for him. So, as far as YX's timeline goes, he would have gone straight into the future into his replica body after DDD, and then after being defeated in KH3, he returns to his original time. That not only solves the problem of how HE got there, but it also explains how the others could have gotten there as well, as YX would have then been able to go back in time from KH3 to pull Ansem, Xemnas, Riku Replica, Vanitas, and Terra-Xehanort from their own times and into their own replica bodies.
I forget where I read it, but some official source (it may have even been in the Journal entires, i don't remember) seemed to imply that the time-travelling hearts of the non-Nobody norts were collected after the moment of their demise, as opposed to DDD where their hearts were brought forward in time from some undisclosed point BEFORE their deaths. So, for instance, Ansem was brought forward to DDD at some point during KH1, where he was defeated and then sent back to his original time and forgot his journey, and then AFTER his destruction at the end of KH1, his heart was then brought forward by YX into his KH3 replica body. So, for most of the time-travelling norts besides YX, their journeys actually end at KH3 rather than at the point of their original destruction.
Personally, I'd love to actually see some kind of animation that officially explains all the time travel in this saga, because there are a lot of gaps and ambiguous points that we don't get to see, so we can't really illustrate a clear timeline of these characters' experiences.

Heart2Heart

Awards
I've always operated under the assumption that YX never directly went back to his own time after DDD, but rather travelled further into the future to the point when his KH3 replica body was prepared for him. So, as far as YX's timeline goes, he would have gone straight into the future into his replica body after DDD, and then after being defeated in KH3, he returns to his original time. That not only solves the problem of how HE got there, but it also explains how the others could have gotten there as well, as YX would have then been able to go back in time from KH3 to pull Ansem, Xemnas, Riku Replica, Vanitas, and Terra-Xehanort from their own times and into their own replica bodies.
I forget where I read it, but some official source (it may have even been in the Journal entires, i don't remember) seemed to imply that the time-travelling hearts of the non-Nobody norts were collected after the moment of their demise, as opposed to DDD where their hearts were brought forward in time from some undisclosed point BEFORE their deaths. So, for instance, Ansem was brought forward to DDD at some point during KH1, where he was defeated and then sent back to his original time and forgot his journey, and then AFTER his destruction at the end of KH1, his heart was then brought forward by YX into his KH3 replica body. So, for most of the time-travelling norts besides YX, their journeys actually end at KH3 rather than at the point of their original destruction.
Personally, I'd love to actually see some kind of animation that officially explains all the time travel in this saga, because there are a lot of gaps and ambiguous points that we don't get to see, so we can't really illustrate a clear timeline of these characters' experiences.
Oh, though even I got something wrong, officially Ansem wasn't eliminated until KH2.

AR829038

Awards
Oh, though even I got something wrong, officially Ansem wasn't eliminated until KH2.
Well, I guess technically he was really only eliminated in Chain of Memories. In KH1, his physical form was destroyed, and his hold over Riku's body broken. But his powers and consciousness survived inside of Riku—it was his consciousness made bodily that Riku defeated at the end of CoM. The only thing that remained was his power, which was what allowed Riku to turn back into him. And at the end of KH2, that was destroyed as well.

Back