• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

how do you feel about piracy?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
I see nothing wrong with it, but supporting something you like doesn't hurt. Can't really stop piracy from happening.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
k. you go and do that, scuba-deary.

Anyway, apologies if I sound like a dick last night. I do get the reason why people pirate, I just got emotional because of tiredness and I'm more argumentative when in that state.

Also, can people stop deleting my post randomly? This shit is getting annoying.

Stop calling people dear. It is not cute or endearing and you are not better than anyone here in any way, shape, or form.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
Games, I don't pirate, mainly because I'm a console gamer and I can't be screwed trying to hack my xbox/ps3 to play pirated games. Movies and Tv shows I download, but when the dvd/boxset comes out, I go buy them because I'm a big special features/behind the scenes whore.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Liar.
Everyone pirates. It's cool to do so. And you're cool, are you not?

I never pirated before. At all. Up to 15, my parents got me stuff. Now since I got a job, I pay for things myself.

Granted, I know paying for stuff that I want will be easier living at my parent's house then when I get my own place, but I'll manage.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
How do you see nothing wrong with it? People are consuming goods they have no right to consume and those that make these goods are left out of pocket because "You can't afford it".
pretty much.

even if I can afford it I'll pirate it, it saves me money, I support who I want to support.

only with digital stuff though. lol I still pay for my gum.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
pretty much.

even if I can afford it I'll pirate it, it saves me money, I support who I want to support.

only with digital stuff though. lol I still pay for my gum.

But it's not a "pick and choose" type thing. This just makes you sound like you're better than certain developers and you only support who you deem needs supporting. All companies need supporting and if you support one, you should support them all. All musical artists put time and care into each song and album. Each video game developer puts time and care into a video game. To pick and choose who you think deserves your money is kind of idk douchey.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
Stop calling people dear. It is not cute or endearing and you are not better than anyone here in any way, shape, or form.

Deary. Dear. Darling. Baby.

I can either say that. Or I can say extremely mean things that I know in my vocabulary that could give Hitler a run for his money.

You can pick. Or you can leave that 'extra' word I use alone and just ignore it.

If you enjoy the product, then you should buy it. The fact that you play through a game, progress through a large amount of the game and find yourself going of the way to play it is pretty much 'proof enough' that you enjoyed the game. Thus the developers succeeded and deserve your money.

Then again. We're in this patchy situation because retailers takes a lot of the cut from video games, so the support to developers/publishers either way is poor.

Which takes me to my next point. Why are you against digital distribution if you want to support a developer? Really, places such as Steam takes a 30% cut from each sale, which is much better than the retailer's cut of over 60%.

Each video game developer puts time and care into a video game. To pick and choose who you think deserves your money is kind of idk douchey.

If you enjoy a product, then buy it. If not, then delete it and don't play more of it. Simple as.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
I guess I'm just a douche then. I'm not going to pay for/support a half assed game.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
Deary. Dear. Darling. Baby.

I can either say that. Or I can say extremely mean things that I know in my vocabulary that could give Hitler a run for his money.

You can pick. Or you can leave that 'extra' word I use alone and just ignore it.

Or you could just leave it out entirely you pretentious little sweetheart. <3

If you enjoy a product, then buy it. If not, then delete it and don't play more of it. Simple as.

Yeah, if you're using pirating as a method of a game demo, then fine, but don't keep the game around. Either buy it to support the company or get rid of it. Keeping the whole game for free so you can play it all, but not actually paying for it is kind of silly.

I guess I'm just a douche then. I'm not going to pay for/support a half assed game.

Whether or not the game is good, people still put a lot of time and effort into it. And by pirating their game, you're taking away from that.

D

Deleted member 36435

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
How do you see nothing wrong with it? People are consuming goods they have no right to consume and those that make these goods are left out of pocket because "You can't afford it".

Although I don't disagree with Stooge, I would like to point out that his objections are of a mostly moral character. As in, the key here is you don't "deserve", not "it makes a difference" (it does make a difference in general but depending on the scenarios it might not).

In terms of supporting the developers of a video game for example, the only way you ever really do this to the full extent is buying the game at full price very shortly after it's released. What some people don't seem to realize is buying a game used (which a lot of people do because they are too stingy to pay full price) or renting it doesn't really net the developer any money, so your money isn't really going towards the people it ideally should be going towards, and the only real difference from piracy in this scenario is you aren't committing a crime.

So if you want to argue about being a good person and doing all you can to support developers you love, make sure you know the best way to guarantee that your money goes to them.

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Although I don't disagree with Stooge, I would like to point out that his objections are of a mostly moral character. As in, the key here is you don't "deserve", not "it makes a difference" (it does make a difference in general but depending on the scenarios it might not).

In terms of supporting the developers of a video game for example, the only way you ever really do this to the full extent is buying the game at full price very shortly after it's released. What some people don't seem to realize is buying a game used (which a lot of people do because they are too stingy to pay full price) or renting it doesn't really net the developer any money, so your money isn't really going towards the people it ideally should be going towards, and the only real difference from piracy in this scenario is you aren't committing a crime.

So if you want to argue about being a good person and doing all you can to support developers you love, make sure you know the best way to guarantee that your money goes to them.

It isn't even so much about "deserving" it. It's more the idea of trade. The economy (whatever kind it may be) establishes the price of items. As an individual consumer, you have every right to disagree with the price. However, the proper alternative is to not "consume" it, not to illegally obtain it.

Granted, most people who pay for things would wish that the money goes to those making it (at least a decent portion), myself included; but just because the reality might be different doesn't make piracy an okay solution.

Neo

Yup, I'm a full time pirate, Own a J tagged 360 and all :p

But I do still buy 4-6 games per year of they're good, doesn't excuse the piracy but I don't really care.

But it's not a "pick and choose" type thing. This just makes you sound like you're better than certain developers and you only support who you deem needs supporting. All companies need supporting and if you support one, you should support them all. All musical artists put time and care into each song and album. Each video game developer puts time and care into a video game. To pick and choose who you think deserves your money is kind of idk douchey.

Your logic quite frankly just doesn't make sense to me. Personally, I buy a lot of music (I do have a job, but I have other expenses to worry about), enough that I feel would justify pirating a few things here and there. Nearly every band that I actively enjoy doesn't care if you pirate their stuff; they know that most people (in the specific scene of music that I'm part of) will buy and support the music if they like it. This is how record labels like Topshelf and Count Your Lucky Stars stay afloat. Are you saying that pirating their music is a bad thing, when these companies that support pirating are actually succeeding in a market that is generally failing?

My argument is unorganized, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back