• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

how do you feel about piracy?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdr08

just wondering how do you guys feel about piracy? is it wrong or right? what are your guys opinion of pirating games, music, movies...etc...

personally, I am a songwriter (just starting out) and I think its scary for me going in this career, because people stealing songs illegally, I think it needs to stop, just to be clear I don't support the bill. there needs some way to stop piracy without violating the first amendment, what do you guys think?

King Sora X

Legendary Member
Awards
I'm not one to support it or anything, but hey I pirate stuff myself. Getting all this shit ain't cheap, and especially for someone who doesn't have a job.

So, yeah there it is. ._.

Hypoxium

stuff
Awards
I download music and old video games but that's about it.

Downloading music isn't technically illegal in Canada, though.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Piracy is good, without a doubt. Aside from the reasons described in the following video, it also allows for people to trial games before they buy them, which is an increasingly valuable tool in an increasingly digital-distribution-centred game industry. Steam doesn't have a refund feature, and if a developer doesn't release a demo for their game, you have no clue what you're playing until you've bought it, unless you pirate it to find out if you care to play and own the full product.

RIP FREEDOM OF SPEECH - YouTube

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
I pirate things because I do not have the means to pay for them. If I had a job with disposable income I would pay for stuff. (unless it's music)

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
I think that piracy can have good results on the markets that experience it. It makes them improve their ways in an attempt to compete with "free." It also promotes more of an ability to try-before-you-buy, as Orion said. However, that doesn't change the fact that there are still a ton of people who will download whatever they want for free and never actually pay to support it, regardless of whether they wind up liking what they downloaded or not (nor does it change the fact that piracy is still stealing). I think that companies should keep the tools they gained from this, but I also think that there should be ways for creators to safeguard their work and not feel like they have to worry about everyone downloading and few paying.

That said, I'm no stranger to torrenting `3`

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I download music because I shelled out 20 bucks for every CD I ever bought until I was 14, which equated to hundreds of dollars.

I would only download old video games or ones that never see a localization in NA.

I download TV shows that still don't have DVD releases or ones I wouldn't buy anyway and would probably just stream. I put so much revenue into the movie/television industry that I hardly feel bad for downloading the occasional TV show or movie.

All in all I feel pretty damn good about piracy.

edit:
It's not like this was non-existent before the days of the internet anyway. When I was a child and VHS' were still the only media format, my family would rent movies from Blockbuster and copy them onto blank VHS' so we wouldn't have to pay the extra 15 dollars for them. We would record songs off the radio onto cassette tapes so we wouldn't have to pay money for a whole CD when we only wanted one song. Things haven't really changed, piracy is just more blatant now a days than it was before.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I refuse to pay for overpriced crap unless I know I will like it and it is worth the purchase. I don't have a source of income so I can't exactly buy things I want, anyways.

When I do have money, I try and support in any form I can if I know I will like what I'm buying.

sdr08

I admit I pirate some things lol, but I keep getting a guilty conscious. so do you guys I should stop being a songwriter then?

testify

Fighter of the Nightman
Awards
A lot of people against piracy assume that cracking down on piracy means that suddenly everyone is going to start paying for these different types of media the proper way. That isn't true at all. I only do it because it's free (in my case, it's really only music, and occasionally a movie, video games I buy). If that was taken away, it doesn't mean I'm going out and handing out close to 20 dollars (or whatever CD's cost nowadays) for a CD which only has like 12 songs on it. Besides, I don't want to hear that "intellectual property" crap, since most money made off CD's just goes to the recording labels, instead of the actual artists.

Anyways, boils down to what was previously said by Peppu. "i pirate shit all the time and i do not care"

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I admit I pirate some things lol, but I keep getting a guilty conscious. so do you guys I should stop being a songwriter then?

Why do you feel guilty? Nobody is dying from you not buying a dvd or album. If it is because you are stealing, think about the millions of dollars record/movie companies steal from consumers and don't give to the people who created the content or into the economy and it all stays in their fat pockets.

Um, what does you not being a songwriter have to do with pirating? Keep doing what you want. You won't be able to change people's minds over buying something or not.

sdr08

Why do you feel guilty? Nobody is dying from you not buying a dvd or album. If it is because you are stealing, think about the millions of dollars record/movie companies steal from consumers and don't give to the people who created the content or into the economy and it all stays in their fat pockets.

Um, what does you not being a songwriter have to do with pirating? Keep doing what you want. You won't be able to change people's minds over buying something or not.

hmmm...you have a point :), and ignore the songwritter comment...I don't know why I wrote that :/, but how do you suggest me putting it into the economy? please share

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I believe that companies should keep their stuff accessible and economical otherwise they are asking for piracy. I will try and support something so long as those two things apply. In this day and age, I don't see how its not possible. Take movies for example. Offer it for streaming, DVD, or download on sites like Hulu, Netflix, or even iTunes. Don't force me into buying something.

I also refuse to pay for something when some rash, old fashioned and ignorant executive is afraid of the "big bad" internet. Bitch, you refuse to offer a certain medium in a certain region for no apparent reason....that shit's getting downloaded. Offer no streaming solutions? Shit's getting downloaded.

As for music, my tastes are always changing. Why buy something that I may no longer like a couple of weeks/months/years later? This was the case for Linkin Park. At one point, they were my favorite band. Now I can't stand them. I'd dislike them even more if I actually spent money on their albums.

Agoraphobia

beautiful days
Awards
I pirate a lot of things and I don't really care. If I feel the product is genuinely worth my money, I will go ahead and purchase it. Especially video games. They're not cheap to make and I like supporting the developers I like so I can get more quality entertainment from them.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
hmmm...you have a point :), and ignore the songwritter comment...I don't know why I wrote that :/, but how do you suggest me putting it into the economy? please share

You wouldn't be the one. Since you are a song writer you'd be working under a some kind of label. I'm talking about record label heads and studio executives who don't pay taxes. Taxation is how money gets put back into the economy. If companies find ways out of paying taxes, the revenue they made stays with them and the portion that should be going back into the economy doesn't.

Bobby Craft

It sounds like people are trying to justify stealing.

Or think that they are doing society a favor by not making the millionaires even richer. I can sympathize with this. But I really believe there are better ways of being an activist than committing a felony.

Not that I'm any better though. I've ripped my fair share of pokemon games and Microsoft Software. But I understand that what I did was very very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back