• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

how do you feel about piracy?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Your reasonings for prostitution and marijuana to be legalized are kinda on the stupid side.

If there was ever a good reason for prostitution to be legalized, it would be to give prostitutes access to health care, eliminate underground sex slavery, make it possible for prostitutes to approach the police for issues like rape and murder without the fear of being arrested themselves, etc.

A better reason for marijuana to be legalized would be to give the government another source of revenue.

My reasons are hardly better than yours but at least they aren't justified by the right of freedom to do whatever the hell you want.

Also, nobody is saying pirating should be legal. Lol, so a kid who downloads mp3s of japanese songs is just as bad as a adult criminal who has stolen money or objects from a store?

No, it's like 10,000 doing it. One kid isn't much, but the combined total is. So a movie that costs $20 compared to a 99 cent song is even worse, and compared to a $60 video game, things are made even worse.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
actually that's pretty funny because companies want all the rights of individuals but are hardly ever tasked with the responsibilities of them :3

probably par for the course when you try to treat a corporation like an actual individual `3`

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No, it's like 10,000 doing it. One kid isn't much, but the combined total is. So a movie that costs $20 compared to a 99 cent song is even worse, and compared to a $60 video game, things are made even worse.

So you are saying we should lop all of those kids in with adults who steal from people's home, purses, computers, etc?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
So you are saying we should lop all of those kids in with adults who steal from people's home, purses, computers, etc?

No, I never said that, all I said was that the industries lose money like us, and when they do, we feel it as well.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No, I never said that, all I said was that the industries lose money like us, and when they do, we feel it as well.

Earlier you said "Here's the thing, pirating is for criminals..." therefore calling all people who pirate criminals, even children and teen in the same age range as you who may or may not understand what they are doing is a crime.

And yet even if we spent money on their products, we'd still feel the loss because, again, the money is not being funneled back into the economy like it should. So who is in the wrong? Executives who give themselves big bonuses and lay people off even if there was a revenue loss or not, or the average person who figures spending money on food is better than buying an overpriced product that may or may not be worth the cost and may not even realize the consequences of pirating?

I'm saying there is no right or wrong to this situation.

(gad, I forget that some people are still in stage four of moral development)

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Earlier you said "Here's the thing, pirating is for criminals..." therefore calling all people who pirate criminals, even children and teen in the same age range as you who may or may not understand what they are doing is a crime.

And yet even if we spent money on their products, we'd still feel the loss because, again, the money is not being funneled back into the economy like it should. So who is in the wrong? Executives who give themselves big bonuses and lay people off even if there was a revenue loss or not, or the average person who figures spending money on food is better than buying an overpriced product that may or may not be worth the cost and may not even realize the consequences of pirating?

Hm. I suppose you're right. I meant people that choose to steal a product instead of paying for it. I should've worded my post better.

D

Deleted member 36435

piracy isn't stealing, it is making a copy. why does no one understand that concept?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
piracy isn't stealing, it is making a copy. why does no one understand that concept?

But you're not paying for it, making it stolen. How can you not understand that concept?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
you are only on the fourth stage of moral development. you don't have a grasp on these complex concepts.

I don't even know what that is. And I have had a very interesting childhood thus far, you don't know what I do or do not know.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Chuman, copying something and giving it to other people isn't stealing at all.

You may be deferring a company from gaining profit but you did not take money or product away from a company.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Chuman, copying something and giving it to other people isn't stealing at all.

You may be deferring a company from gaining profit but you did not take money or product away from a company.

I never said it was. I'm talking about when you donload it illegally and selling it. Last I checked, that was pirating. I never said anything about copying a movie and giving it to a friend, my mother does that with a friend of hers sometimes. I believe we were talking about two different things for the last several posts.

D

Deleted member 36435

i am not taking the product away from them

when i go to a store and steal the product i am taking it off the shelf and it can no longer be sold for profit
when i pirate something i am taking the files somebody copied and downloading them to my computer, they still have it, wherever they got it from either still has it or it was sold to them.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
@ Ethnic Woman while I do agree with some of your statements the one about someone morals or your last post to make it simpler. You can't really judge that everyone grows up in different regions around the world and are from different cultures as such views are extremely different.

I will go off on a limb and also challenge that piracy is stealing the person you pirated from isn't the one you're stealing from, but from the artist that it traces back too or the game developer that made your favorite game series.

I still don't care though in the long run because of the way prices are right now again $60 game or that same $60 feeding me for about a week or 2?

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I never said it was. I'm talking about when you donload it illegally and selling it. Last I checked, that was pirating. I never said anything about copying a movie and giving it to a friend, my mother does that with a friend of hers sometimes. I believe we were talking about two different things for the last several posts.

Downloading is basically a friend copying the product and then giving it to a friend.

I don't condone downloading/copying and then selling it to garnish profit for yourself and didn't mention anything about that.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Most artists get their money from touring anyways, not so much album shares. That helps the record company.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I don't even know what that is. And I have had a very interesting childhood thus far, you don't know what I do or do not know.

@ Ethnic Woman while I do agree with some of your statements the one about someone morals or your last post to make it simpler. You can't really judge that everyone grows up in different regions around the world and are from different cultures as such views are extremely different.

I will go off on a limb and also challenge that piracy is stealing the person you pirated from isn't the one you're stealing from, but from the artist that it traces back too or the game developer that made your favorite game series.

I still don't care though in the long run because of the way prices are right now again $60 game or that same $60 feeding me for about a week or 2?

Of course not. It is almost impossible to judge people all the same when there are so many variables that can factor into the development of a person. Besides culture, a person's religion, parenting styles, temperament, and so on add into one's moral development. (I'm just judging Chuman because while he says I have no idea what he has gone through in life, which is true, based on his responses I can easily judge that his morals are based around laws and sees things in an almost black-white way. even after being explained that there are two sides to the issue he still sees it in a right-wrong way rather than seeing it as a situational thing and doesn't understand the difference in stealing vs. copying. thus fourth stage: authority and social order obedience driven)

Shinjuku

Entrapment
@ Ethnic Woman point taken

@ Raz are you sure about that? I honestly never heard this/didn't know.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Of course not. It is almost impossible to judge people all the same when there are so many variables that can factor into the development of a person. Besides culture, a person's religion, parenting styles, temperament, and so on add into one's moral development. (I'm just judging Chuman because while he says I have no idea what he has gone through in life, which is true, based on his responses I can easily judge that his morals are based around laws and sees things in an almost black-white way. even after being explained that there are two sides to the issue he still sees it in a right-wrong way rather than seeing it as a situational thing and doesn't understand the difference in stealing vs. copying. thus fourth stage: authority and social order obedience driven)

I don't see things in black and white. All I said is that stealing a product is wrong, yes, I have download music online, I don't see that as pirating, I have gotten free copies of movies from my parent's friends, which isn't pirating, I suppose I may have worded things wrong, and there is confusion caused by talking through a computer rather than face to face, I have already given my opinion on the matter and everything afterwords has just been arguing. There isn't much more I can add to it so I believe I might as well go do something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back