• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

how do you feel about piracy?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamster Lord

Atrocity Exhibition
Awards
yeah but people can still make digital copies of those movies/albums/vidya and distribute them on the internet

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
if companies wanted to stop pirating they would remove all their content from digital format and render it into a hard/physical copy
But then we go back to being charged $10+ for a single-song CD. We have iTunes and digital distribution to thank for music becoming cheaper and more accessible.

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
if companies wanted to stop pirating they would remove all their content from digital format and render it into a hard/physical copy

Words can't describe how stupid that idea sounds.

You know piracy existed when the internet wasn't widespread, right? The ZX Spectrum. Commodore 64. Were pirated to hell and back.

The only difference is that people had to pay some dodgy person at a Carboot Sale for a few cheap games (which I might add, was very lucrative in the UK).

Chrono Mizaki

Banned
i never said completely but it would sure slow everything down

At what cost? Do you know how much benefit digital distribution actually bring in?

And this isn't taking into account that we have devices to rip these physical media from, unless you want to create a propitiatory one, in which case, be my guest. Drive up those prices!

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
bullshit. part of why digital piracy took off in the first place was because there was demand for online digital content and the record and movie industries weren't supporting it. it's why napster was so popular: because it was easier to download an mp3 from their website instead of diving through the bins at your shitty local record shop for something they may or may not have.

the consumers were the ones who dictated they wanted ease of access when it came it to purchasing media products.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
If it weren't for pirating or anything else you'd like to call it I'd never gotten into Techno/Electronic genre of music.

In fact in rap genre it's a lot of artists that I would never have known about if it weren't for that.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
i never said completely but it would sure slow everything down

Haha, no. One of the great things about piracy is that the "pirates" are resilient. DVDs and CDs can easily be made and we'd see more bootleggers on the street.

By removing online media, you are giving pirates the upper-hand to start charging again, as well. If it is one thing companies don't like besides people getting things for free, it is people paying bootleggers and allowing them to make a profit.

Also, no way will people go back to the days where you couldn't access media online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back