• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How do you feel about spoilers?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Spoilers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
(unless you have watched the first half of Doctor Who season 7 don't highlight spoilers)

I had an interesting conversation with my sister the other day. I was watching Doctor Who (Amy and Rory's farewell episode) and she came in. I paused the episode quickly because I knew she hadn't watched season 7 yet, but she told me she didn't care because she already knew how Amy and Rory left. I asked her why she would spoil something like that, and she just said that it would prepare her for the emotional impact. I argued with her by saying that the episode was SUPPOSED to have that emotional impact and suspense, but she just shrugged and left the room.

Now, I'd be a hypocrite if I said I hadn't spoiled something before, especially when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. But I don't intentionally spoil myself when it comes to character deaths or revelations simply because it lessons the impact when you finally get around to watching the moment you spoiled. It just makes watching TV or playing games less fun when you know what happens. What's the point of continuing with something after you already know what happens? People argue that it's what leads up to the moment that's important, but I disagree. The moment you spoiled will always be looming over you and it makes watching/reading/playing less fun.

So I want to know where you stand on spoilers. Do they bother you, or do you simply not care?

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards
When it comes down to that particular scene in Doctor Who, it wasn't really a surprise in the first place if you were up to date when the episode was around being released. There was so much media around it talking about their leave.

But in general I like to avoid spoilers. I've unsubbed from the Doctor Who subreddit and am going to try to watch the second half of season 7 without any other spoilers.

Some people say being spoiled actually enhances the experience of something when it happens, but I don't understand that logic.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I only avoid spoilers if it's a book I've been waiting for months for.

When it comes to a tv show or kingdom hearts or anything else in general; I don't really care as much. I actually like knowing what's going to happen ahead of time; it excites me more and doesn't really ruin the experience for me.

Last edited:

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I feel like it's best going into any type of media whether it be books, movies, video games, etc without knowing anything about it.

Maybe it's just my nostalgia glasses, but I feel games were more magical back when I was a kid, i.e. no internet. I couldn't just google stuff and completely engross myself with every little new detail like I can now. I think hype also has a lot to do with it because ultimately some games just don't live up to expectations. It's why I'm so excited for Bioshock Infinite.

RuffPuff

Filthy Turnip
Awards
Sometimes it depends, but most of the time I hate spoilers. I love a great story, but when I have something spoiled for me I get really disapointed that I know ahead of time. I remember before Days came out I had it spoiled for me that Xion would die (though, looking back it was really obvious) and I was irritated that someone else, who was happy to get spoiled, didn't think of other people who avoided spoilers.

And it's really hard to forget something once you've been spoiled. I'm playing Virtue's Last Reward right now, and someone on Tumblr decided to post an image of late in the game; I haven't gotten it out of my head yet. I can only hope what I seen doesn't end up being that big of plot twist in the story (though, I bet it will be). v_v

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards
I hate being spoiled. I think it takes away a huge part of the experience., especially if it's the ending of something. Like the other day, somebody spoiled me about a key part of BioShock Infinite's ending and I got furious because I've been waiting for that game for almost two years now. It was only one part of the grand story, but it still bothers me because now when I'm playing it, I'll have this gnawing reminder in the back of my head that this part of the story is going to happen at some point. And that just takes away from the experience.

Gram

Banned
Awards
It depends on what game/show it is for me if I care about being spoiled or not.

iDrops

It's a Farce...
Awards
I usually don't care about being spoiled, most of the time I even spoil myself on purpose. Though lately I've been trying to avoid spoilers for certain things, but if I do end up being spoiled I won't really care too much.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
In all things, I absolutely despise spoilers.

That said, I have been known to spoil things for myself by being dumb (like surfing KHwiki before the US release).

Shasta

Awards
I don't exactly care to be spoiled per-se, I mean if I can help it then I'll try my best not to but even then it's hard because of all the excitement I have for it. It doesn't ruin the game for me but rather just doesn't make the end or whichever part as surprising or exciting as it would have been had I not watched it. I spoiled myself big time for Persona 3 and Final Fantasy XIII-2.

axel95

Awards
I try to avoid being spoiled, but sometimes I do spoil myself. If the story is good enough (KH for example), I find it very hard to resist watching a play through of a new game a reading the summary of a story.

Shawty

Awards
I try to avoid them when it comes to tv shows and I'm not up to date yet, I don't really care about minor spoilers as long as they don't give away too much. But yeah, sometimes you read them by accident and it's not cool but you can't really do anything about that.

Coeurl

Demon Dance
Generally, I keep away from spoilers, though it really wouldn't matter that much if I do stumble upon some of it. I'm with the people who say it's what leads up to the moment that's important. Even if say, somebody dies in videogame or a movie, as long as the how's and why's are still a secret, I'm pretty much ok with it.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
It's really up to the person whether or not they want to spoil themselves but the biggest concern is spoiling it for others without their consent is kind of mean.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I fucking hate being spoiled on something I love. If it's an episode of a show, I'll spend the entire episode waiting for it to happen and the emotional impact will definitely not be as strong.

Pinwheel

The Origin
Awards
I don't mind if it's something I don't plan on watching/playing for a really long time or ever doing so. Otherwise I'll probably be pretty pissed about it and lose all want to do anything with said thing being spoiled.

LegendaryHeroLCB

Website
www.google.com
I typically try to avoid them (by actually getting into whatever the topic is). But there have been times where I'm just like "meh fug it" and read some synopsis on the episode/issue/volume of whatever it is. usually though I'm on top of things.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Generally speaking, I don't care about spoilers. Heck, sometimes it actually gives me something to look forward to.

It is a rare thing for me to purposely avoid spoilers; most of the time I just don't run into them unless I meant to.

Nate H.

I love spoilers. When watching a movie or reading a book, I often get too excited and anxious and just want it to end. But with video games I prefer no spoilers at all (unless I don't own the system for that video game), because then I see no use in playing. In that case though I just watch one of those "cutscene movies" to see what it's all about.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Depends on the story. If it's something like KH, I don't mind spoiling because I'm not so much interested in the experience of understanding the story as it goes as I am about learning about the cosmology. In most other cases, though, I like to feel the suspense as I'm watching/reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back