• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How do you think Disney will fit into the next game?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I've had some thoughts about this, and this is the perfect opportunity for me to bring this up.
You guys made me think of something:

In THE WORLD ENDS WITH YOU Final Remix, in the "A New Day" sequel scenario, Beat and Neku go into a dream version of Shibuya. What was the traditional Shibuya map from the original game is all messed up and when you cross somewhere, you get to a different area.

If Shibuya is a sort of hub-world for Worldline-jumping, then it's possible that Shibuya, as a nexus of Worldlines, doesn't have a logical structure like the Shibuya in A New Day and the Union Leaders ended up in different times of the same Worldlines because of that. Whatever happens in KHUx has Ventus unconscious and amnesiac in the Badlands; the presumed Subject X Skuld ends up in the Radiant Garden town center a la Xehanort; while Lauriam and Arlene end up somewhere, they're attacked by Heartless and Xigbar finds them.

It's also worth pointing out that Nomura works on TWEWY's story.

Its a possibility Shibuya could be the hub world. Maybe Sora begins his quest there?

It's also possible the whole game could be set in Shibuya for Sora. Maybe Riku and Kairi have to journey to get there?
Or like Oracle Spockanort said: The game's main character will be Riku and Sora will be the goal.

D

Deleted member 246005

@Ballad of Caius
Just considering the possibilities.

I'm interested in a possibility of a Disney-less game. Its an interesting challenge for them to undertake.

I'm more ok with the lack of Final fantasy because they always felt lacking in the past. Granted if they are done better than before, I don't mind them coming back.

Laguna was meant to be in BBS so it be interesting to see him in Shibuya.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Mmmmm.. Honestly, I think there are probably better fits. Frozen 2 and Ralph Breaks The Internet, at their core, are more about self-actualization and finding your place in the world. I guess that could help to re-affirm that Sora and Riku had already found there place in the world (with their friends), but I'm not sure how change, in that sense, connects to what seems to be Sora and Riku's current journey. Which seems to be centered around death and finding their way to eachother, and then back home.

Thematically, I think it would fit better with characters who have a difficult time accepting change and are unsure of how they should live their lives. Ya know what I mean? I guess it really depends on who has what arcs at the end of the day.

Frozen 2 and Ralph Breaks the Internet are both about self-actualization AND change. Anna and Ralph are resistant to change.

The crux of Anna's entire storyline is that she feels like she is being left behind and everything around her is changing. She thinks Kristoff is trying to break up with her, her sister is moving farther and farther away from her and then leaves her alone, Olaf dies, she doesn't know where she stands with anything. She has to choose between moving forward and allowing change to happen or to wallow in the darkness and die too.

Ralph fears change. He's found the status quo in his life. He has everything he wants. Friends, family, recognition. Then Vanellope is moving ahead without him, and he drags his feet and resists change. So while Vanellope is on a journey to find herself, Ralph is on a journey to learn how to accept that nothing can stay the same and that sometimes things look great on the outside but it is actually just an illusion.

These are very similar to Sora in a way. It's not the most overt thing, but Sora definitely fears change and losing his friends. He couldn't let go of his friends SO MUCH that he alters time itself and destroys his heart slowly in the process of bringing everybody back, driving himself into the abyss.

Sora also has very low self-esteem. He still sees himself as worthless and his friends as what gives him meaning. He needs a good self-actualization story more than anybody right now.

And Riku, despite having already gone through his arc to finding himself and his place, could still stand to find some new character flaws along the way that need resolving. His inability to be honest about his feelings when it comes to Sora. He's certainly more honest than ever before, but he also holds himself back from doing what he really wants which is usually reaching out to Sora and just saying/doing something. He starts to reach out, balls his fist up, then does something like die for Sora or lets Sora go on a suicide mission. He's gotta learn how to be a little selfish again.

Now the more I think about it, I don't think the next KH game will tackle "death" as a theme but rather just use "death" as a vehicle for the themes of "change" and "moving forward".

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Frozen 2 and Ralph Breaks the Internet are both about self-actualization AND change. Anna and Ralph are resistant to change.

The crux of Anna's entire storyline is that she feels like she is being left behind and everything around her is changing. She thinks Kristoff is trying to break up with her, her sister is moving farther and farther away from her and then leaves her alone, Olaf dies, she doesn't know where she stands with anything. She has to choose between moving forward and allowing change to happen or to wallow in the darkness and die too.

Ralph fears change. He's found the status quo in his life. He has everything he wants. Friends, family, recognition. Then Vanellope is moving ahead without him, and he drags his feet and resists change. So while Vanellope is on a journey to find herself, Ralph is on a journey to learn how to accept that nothing can stay the same and that sometimes things look great on the outside but it is actually just an illusion.

These are very similar to Sora in a way. It's not the most overt thing, but Sora definitely fears change and losing his friends. He couldn't let go of his friends SO MUCH that he alters time itself and destroys his heart slowly in the process of bringing everybody back, driving himself into the abyss.

Sora also has very low self-esteem. He still sees himself as worthless and his friends as what gives him meaning. He needs a good self-actualization story more than anybody right now.

And Riku, despite having already gone through his arc to finding himself and his place, could still stand to find some new character flaws along the way that need resolving. His inability to be honest about his feelings when it comes to Sora. He's certainly more honest than ever before, but he also holds himself back from doing what he really wants which is usually reaching out to Sora and just saying/doing something. He starts to reach out, balls his fist up, then does something like die for Sora or lets Sora go on a suicide mission. He's gotta learn how to be a little selfish again.

Now the more I think about it, I don't think the next KH game will tackle "death" as a theme but rather just use "death" as a vehicle for the themes of "change" and "moving forward".
I think it's likely Frozen II might be saved for the 4th Numbered title and they might use the first Wreck-It Ralph for the next KH game before KHIV.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'm interested in a possibility of a Disney-less game. Its an interesting challenge for them to undertake.
I don't think it would be much different than most of the titles from the latter half of the series? The Disney worlds are just window dressing now. They might as well be memory worlds or sleeping worlds as in CoM and 3D or empty backgrounds like 0.2 for all the difference it makes to Sora and the plot.

I guess the safest, general answer to this question would be, "Not very well." I've always liked the idea of Sora starting in the afterlife from Coco, but I know better than to think something like that would ever become reality. Sort of the same as ideas that Inside Out would be a perfect way for Sora to find Ventus, or Monstropolis having a door that connects to KH or the realm of darkness in some way--I know these are too creative to ever happen in KH. All there is to look forward to with Disney worlds are (God-willing) nice level designs and party members (if the Disney protagonist in question is male)--and maybe, once in a blue moon, a boss that was actually from a movie and not a Heartless.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I think it's likely Frozen II might be saved for the 4th Numbered title and they might use the first Wreck-It Ralph for the next KH game before KHIV.
That's what I'm thinking as well. At least with KH4 Frozen ll would be better utilized if they go back to the new PoH storyline. I just can't see it happening in DDD Volume 2

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
They will fit like they always did. KH secret endings always featured original worlds and never disney worlds. I'm a little tired of Disney and I also would like to have a KH game with a more mature tone, but I'm not seeing Disney going anywhere.

Secret Endings can also be misleading.Verum Rex / Shibuya could be the last worlds of the next game and not the first ones.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
They will fit like they always did. KH secret endings always featured original worlds and never disney worlds. I'm a little tired of Disney and I also would like to have a KH game with a more mature tone, but I'm not seeing Disney going anywhere.

Secret Endings can also be misleading.Verum Rex / Shibuya could be the last worlds of the next game and not the first ones.
If that's true then I wonder what Sora was doing between disappearing at the sunset and his arrival in Shibuya?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
If that's true then I wonder what Sora was doing between disappearing at the sunset and his arrival in Shibuya?
I mean, Sakuraba has a point: KH1 secret ending has Riku and Roxas in TWTNW; KH2 has TAV in Keyblade Graveyard. Those are all final worlds in their respective full games. So I guess Shibuya could be the final world, or could not.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I mean, Sakuraba has a point: KH1 secret ending has Riku and Roxas in TWTNW; KH2 has TAV in Keyblade Graveyard. Those are all final worlds in their respective full games. So I guess Shibuya could be the final world, or could not.
I wasn't disagreeing with him I was speculating what Sora could have done before Shibuya if it is indeed the final world

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
It's important to keep in mind that KH1 and KH2's secret endings were showing what turned out to be final worlds, but we also have to consider how KH3's secret ending is the exact opposite of them. It's not one of mysterious characters in a mysterious original location being mysterious with maybe some mysterious phrases thrown in. We're blatantly shown Sora and Riku in TWEWY and Not-Versus XIII and that's it (besides the MoM, of course.)

I wasn't disagreeing with him I was speculating what Sora could have done before Shibuya if it is indeed the final world
^ I can't imagine him doing anything before Shibuya.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
That's what I'm thinking as well. At least with KH4 Frozen ll would be better utilized if they go back to the new PoH storyline. I just can't see it happening in DDD Volume 2
Even the same can be said with the Pirates of the Caribbean world in Kingdom Hearts II, it made sense to have the world return in the next numbered title (Kingdom Hearts III) instead of Coded or Dream Drop Distance given the At World's End storyline.

I'm not sure on how many Disney worlds we would be getting for the next title, but I expect it could be approx. 7-9 Disney worlds for the next game and most of them could be thematically reminiscent to the Disney worlds we got in Dream Drop Distance where it focuses on some of the lesser known and/or slightly recent Disney films and ones you were expecting to appear in KH3 and in previous titles but didn't end up in the actual game.

I envision these would be the Disney worlds for the next KH game the team are developing before KHIV, along with the fact the worlds I put down and vastly different from one another in terms of level designs, environment and gameplay level:
  1. Wreck-It Ralph (Video game/Candy Level)
  2. Coco (Undead/Supernatural level)
  3. Treasure Planet (Space/Pirate level)
  4. Atlantis (Underground/Ocean/Temple level)
  5. Dumbo (Circus level)
  6. Jungle Book (1967 animated version) (Jungle level)
  7. Maleficent (2014 film) (Forest/Fantasy level)
  8. Alice in Wonderland (2010 version) (Medieval/Gothic fantasy level)
  9. Long Shots: Meet the Robinsons, Pocahontas, Mickey and the Beanstalk (Fun and Fancy Free), Sleepy Hollow (Ichabod and Mr. Toad), Brave or The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (Snow level)
What do you think?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
It's important to keep in mind that KH1 and KH2's secret endings were showing what turned out to be final worlds, but we also have to consider how KH3's secret ending is the exact opposite of them. It's not one of mysterious characters in a mysterious original location being mysterious with maybe some mysterious phrases thrown in. We're blatantly shown Sora and Riku in TWEWY and Not-Versus XIII and that's it (besides the MoM, of course.)

^ I can't imagine him doing anything before Shibuya.
Good point. I'd like to think that Shibuya will be a hub-world to non-Disney properties, or Disney properties that are related to video games. It's possible that the same way that Young Xehanort pushed Sora in the Verum Rex video game back in Toybox could be the same case for Shibuya being a hubworld for video game based worlds.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Good point. I'd like to think that Shibuya will be a hub-world to non-Disney properties, or Disney properties that are related to video games. It's possible that the same way that Young Xehanort pushed Sora in the Verum Rex video game back in Toybox could be the same case for Shibuya being a hubworld for video game based worlds.
I'd love if Shibuya had other SE characters walkin' around, whether these versions being native to Shibuya or were outsiders brought into the Reapers' Game.

If video games do become the focus, then I want Spectrobes in.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
With the next game taking place in the Shinjuku/Shibuya areas, there doesn't seem to be room for much Disney stuff. Will it be a game without Disney worlds?

I really don't get why people are jumping to a conclusion this drastic? Secret endings and secret episodes are designed to be vague and ambigious, we don't know the context of this scene.

Disney is going to be implemented the same as it always has and no secret ending/secret episode is going to change that.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I really don't get why people are jumping to a conclusion this drastic? Secret endings and secret episodes are designed to be vague and ambigious, we don't know the context of this scene.

Disney is going to be implemented the same as it always has and no secret ending/secret episode is going to change that.
Point taken, but Nomura should consider the possibility of measuring how well received a KH game without Disney, or less Disney, could be received.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

If anything, the Secret Ending gave me DDD vibes, and that game had Disney worlds. And I think DDD was a darker game than most of the other games. All they'd really need to do is pick worlds that fit the theme or vibe, it's not like Disney hasn't done its fair share of darker properties before.

Looking at Another Side, Another Story, you'd get the same feeling, too. Dark city, rain everywhere, edgy characters fighting with keys and running up buildings... And then we got KH2.

And at the end of said game's Final Mix version, we ended up getting an extended secret movie where an old man and a kid with a helmet completely blitz three Keyblade wielders (one that looks like Roxas), one gets frozen solid and gets DROPPED OFF A CLIFF, and the whole atmosphere was dark and hopeless. Then we got Birth By Sleep, a game where while it was dark as hell, you have a world with racing mini-games, ice cream making, and Pete just being Pete lmao.

So, yeah. I agree with you. All secret movies are done in context, and they've generally always been during the final act or near the final stretch of the game. For all we know, the next game might not even be anywhere near the tone we think it is, and Shibuya is just a place that has that atmosphere because of where the story is at that point.

Back