• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How Much Did They Know?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

gstkh2

Bear with me. I have a tendency to ramble, but I just want to explain myself completely.

The question is twofold. The first, the already-identified members of the True Organization, and the second, the writers themselves of the Kingdom Hearts storyline.
The twists and turns of the series have been many and shocking. And now, we find ourselves here, with the resurgence of both old friends and foes, going to do battle--presumably--at the end of the world.

When I first played DDD, I was floored by the turn the story had taken. To this day, I think it's the biggest twist I've ever seen in a storyline. I mean, we all knew Xehanort was coming back--but who would have guessed that his Heartless form was going to give his young form the power of time travel to create a whole new Organization XIII using all of his incarnations throughout history, as well as new vassals willing to take on his evil?
Since then, I've been curious as to how much of this was actually hinted at. Obviously most of the hints--if there are indeed any to be found--would come from Xemnas and Xigbar, since the two of them literally have seen all of this unfold, and were instrumental in the decline of the World.

In KHII, Xigbar definitely drops a ton of hints about what happened ten years ago. When he says stuff like, "you don't look like half the hero the others were," or in KH358, when he asks Xion why she always gives him that angry Ventus look (which, it's funny, they threw a little reference to that into BBS itself during the final battle when he says, "he's got the angry look down"). So, he talks about the past a lot. But, after playing DDD, I started to notice weird little things about the future, too.

Notice how, when Xigbar dies, he doesn't mourn. He doesn't look distressed. There is no anger. He laughs, and in response to Sora's bewilderment, he goes, "wouldn't you like to know." Remember that, by this time, he had already accepted a piece of Xehanort's heart. I think this is the earliest reference to the True Organization. Also--and this is a stretch--Xemnas' final word is "Keyblade." How possible do you think it is that he was actually talking about the X-Blade, and forging it with the Seven Lights and Thirteen Darknesses?

Master Xehanort himself seemed very calm in the final scene when he and Terra are battling for control of his heart in BBS. He bragged about his many plans. We know from MX himself that his master plan was to A) summon Kingdom Hearts and the X-Blade--and our trio of keyblade wielders thwarted that--and B) live to see beyond the Keyblade War--which unfortunately he succeeded in through capturing Terra's body. So, originally, I'd assumed that Xemnas' defeat in KHII was the end of these original plans.

But, thinking about it, for how long was the True Organization the endgame? And, by BBS, we know that the time travel aspect had been solidified, since you do battle with Young Xehanort. And, by the final battle, Braig's eyes and ears had the distinct Xehanort look.

The big piece of evidence that makes me wonder if they--again, the villains and the writers--knew as early as KHII is Saix's defeat. He definitely mourns--as much as a Nobody can--his lack of a heart, and his defeat before receiving one. Meanwhile, his eyes and ears have the MX touch to them. This is strange. Why would they design the character similarly to Xigbar and Xemnas in that sense, and nobody else, if Saix wasn't slated for the True Org. at that time? If he was, why would his defeat have upset him? Why didn't he just mock Sora's ignorance like Xigbar did, their distinct personalities notwithstanding? And, going through the games, it doesn't seem that many of the villains are aware that their lives will be spared through plucking them from time. Ansem SoD was horrified to have been defeated.

The only other thing I can think is that, in the spots where Young Xehanort pulled the villains from the timeline, it caused a split in the timeline, creating another one where that villain isn't present. But then, it isn't specified whether or not the villains are returned to their times, or the exact moment in time when they were pulled out. Or--even further of stretch--some villains were defeated and returned to their times in the knowledge that they had run out of second chances, while others found some way to go on in this upcoming last battle.

So my supposition is that, at the very least, Xemnas, Xigbar and Master Xehanort were aware of the plan--and that the writers, as early as KHII, knew as well.

When you think about it, KHIII has a TON of stuff to resolve--several character arcs, a battle between all the heroes and villains from nearly fifteen years worth of gaming, several decades of Disney, and over thirty years of Final Fantasy. I often wonder how they'll fit it all in one game.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Nomura has openly admitted to making the story up as he goes along. I'm betting that all the weird connections and connotations (like the ones you pointed out) are the result of Xanatos Speed Chess at this point. By KHII, he hadn't even started up BBS's plot or characters. I don't think Nomura truly thought that far ahead... and I know for sure that the KHII writers did not.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
When did he confirm this?
He confirms it all the time. Like, whenever someone asks him about if the series was planned out, or how they develop it.

For example, here is him talking about it after KH3D released:

— Speaking of the previous titles, about when do you start thinking of the ‘next title’?

Nomura: It’s a gradual process. When Kingdom Hearts was in production, I was considering ideas for Kingdom Hearts II and Chain of Memories. And when those two were in production, I was thinking of ideas for the next three, 358/2 Days, Coded, and Birth by Sleep.

— Were you thinking of KH3D when those 3 titles were in production?

Nomura: KH3D was put together relatively quickly, I was still concepting the story when I brought it to the table.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
This entire post to me pretty much says to me that adding time travel complicated things more then it helped. Every KH games seems to do that

"Noruma, we released Re:coded for the DS. What's next for the KH franchise? Are we finally gonna get to Kingdom Hearts 3?"
*As Noruma lights up a joint*
"Bruh... time travel."
"...I'm sorry, what?"
"Time Travel."
"time travel?"
"time travel."
"(Oh shit, he's finally lost it)"
"Time travel. It's gonna be great."
"That... doesn't seem like a smart idea. Time travel isn't an easy thing to tackle. And you're ideas in the past have been a little... ambitious but--"
"No, no, no trust me. I got a whole thing figured out man. Believe me, I've learned man. I got it down. It's gonna blow your mindsesses"
"Ok then, let's hear it. How long were you working on this concept?"
"Just now"
"Ok.. what is it exactly?"
"So I thoought... what if, Ansem-
"Which one?"
"Don't be a dick. Anyway, so what if ... *sigh* Billy Zane decided to go back in time, get his younger self to get all of his past selfs to fight our heroes. He was the master mind the whole time because of the old Xehanort. He had a endgame plan man!"
"And his endgame plan was... time travel?"
"It's gonna sick bro. The fans will love it. It's magic and shit so they'll like it"
"...Question?"
"Yeah?"
"How did he get time travel...?
"...w-what?"
"Where did he get the ability to travel through time?
"Well... because his heart was separate... from his body... and now he's a heartless and shit"
"Wait, so hearts can just travel through time now?
"...yes?"
"Why? How?"
"because he's the most powerful bruh"
"So just because he's the heartless of the most powerful evil being in the known world but yet with no real ties to any sort of magic that even remotely related to time travel, he can suddenly just be given the ability to travel through time and space out of the blue in a weakened state and also give that same ability to a teenage version of you who probably has no idea what the hell is even happening because...?"
"...Here. Take this."
"..Ok."
*executive smokes joint*
"Well... now what do you think of my mind blowing twist?"
"..eh, it's still diddlying stupid but we gotta get this done so Disney can get off our ass about 3. We also need a mobile game out soon to meet that market. You got any ideas for that?"
"... :)"
*smokes another joint*

(I still like DDD)

Last edited:

gstkh2

As hilarious as that whole scenario is, if that was his thought process, he's at least got me. He's enthralled me. And even though he didn't intend the connections...as you see this whole rambling post...they're a helluva lotta fun to think about.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
As hilarious as that whole scenario is, if that was his thought process, he's at least got me. He's enthralled me. And even though he didn't intend the connections...as you see this whole rambling post...they're a helluva lotta fun to think about.

Oh, Nomura might think things up as he goes, but he does so to try and build connections to older things in the series to give it a sort of coherency (regardless if that actually happens or not once the story plays out).

Laeril

Awards
Tetsuya Nomura: "I can make up stuff and people still love it!"

Makes me wonder if he'd be any good at improvisational theater.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
The series would likely be worse off if Nomura had made a detailed plan for the series in KH1 and stuck to it to the letter. It's not really how writing works in general, and it leaves no room for experimentation, for inspiration, for reactions to changes or for other sources or stimulus to impact the piece. Which isn't to say that everything was done smoothly or that there weren't mistakes, but in general, I think we have a pretty decent series, all things considered.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Personally, I think writing should be somewhere in the middle of following a plan to the letter and going wherever the wind blows you. Yes, sticking to a plan can end up causing something stale, but when you just fly all over the place as the whim takes you, you end up with a convoluted mess with near-meaningless filler like the KH series (or the last two Game of Thrones books, or Once Upon a Time).

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
It's not like the KH series is written completely on a whim. While making one they are also thinking of the next one and how it will connect. It's also clear that various plots are being planned in advance (such as the savings for example, the developments of which will have been spread over four games). They've also outlined that they were discussing plans for the series beyond KH3 as early as BBS so it's not totally just on a whim. It's just not "everything was planned since KH1" level either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back