• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How much involvement do you think TWEWY will have in future KH games?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

LoneFox

Awards
In DDD, the TWEWY characters are in Traverse Town, which has been split in two. I don't think it was ever explained how that happened, but I think there is little doubt over who is responsible.

In KH3, we learn that Yozora is a video game character from the ToyBox world, which has also been split in two. This time it is the culprit himself who tells us that.

Then we have Shibuya, which is the original home world of the TWEWY characters, except apparently it is not the same Shibuya. See a connection? What could possibly have happened to it?

Noivern

Awards
In DDD, the TWEWY characters are in Traverse Town, which has been split in two. I don't think it was ever explained how that happened, but I think there is little doubt over who is responsible.

In KH3, we learn that Yozora is a video game character from the ToyBox world, which has also been split in two. This time it is the culprit himself who tells us that.

Then we have Shibuya, which is the original home world of the TWEWY characters, except apparently it is not the same Shibuya. See a connection? What could possibly have happened to it?

IIRC, Joshua actually finds out that Sora is trapped and hints that there are two people dreaming or something, but keeps it to himself mostly.

Either way, if we take the hinted worldlines plot, even if it's TWEWY Shibuya it doesn't mean it will happen at the time of the game, and a lot can be done with the setting.

I wouldn't be surprised if its meant to be a merge of both Shibuya and the city from Versus (Insomnia, I believe?), possibly the two at once with Yozora in one side and Sora on the other.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Personally, I think that TWEWY is getting blown way out of proportion. Considering Nomura is the King of Missed Opportunities, it's entirely possible that we'll never see that Shibuya crew again.

I think if Sora was in that Shibuya and playing the game that they'd show the timer on his palm in the Secret Ending. I think that conspicuous shot of his empty palm was to hint that he wasn't going to do that.
Maybe it was to keep us guessing (while Nomura figured out what he wants to do)? I can see Nomura throwing that in there to make us wonder if there will be a Reaper's Game/to throw us off of what he really plans. Knowing Nomura, he wouldn't want to give away anything and just make us all theorize like crazy. Plus... I feel like he's learned his lesson and figured that it would be way better to hint, than to lock himself into something that he may not want to be locked into/have to find some crazy way to write himself out of.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

Well Xehanort did seem to be aware of the fate of someone that abuses the Power of Waking/time travel to change the future. If I remember correctly in ReMIND, he mentions something along the lines of him and Sora connected because of their alterations of time. Perhaps Xehanort already went to Shibuya and did his Reaper's Game or whatever? That might be what we see happen in Dark Road, especially since in Toy Box it was Young Xehanort who split Toy Box. Given Game Central Station's role in KHUX (linked to Dark Road), I feel like there's a possibility for all of this to come together somehow.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
This Shibuya looks like an original world with TWEWY hints AND with Verum Rex hints (not!Stella on a billboard I think?). In terms of design, it's much softer looking and colorful than Versus XIII Insomnia. The pavement IS stylized like TWEWY, though I agree that if it were Neku's Shibuya the whole world would have been even more stylized like TWEWY. All we have are references. I love that it looks so hybrid and so very KH. I love that we can't say for sure what it'll turn out to be. But I'm getting strong KH1&DDD Traverse Town / The World That Never Was vibes with "alternate universe" energy. That's all the mystery and through-the-looking-glass feeling I want from a secret ending setting.

The 4 in 104 just represents death. That's why it's used in TWEWY, as a meaningful in-your-face design choice from the start, but I don't see why it should be exclusive to TWEWY, since it's a cultural reference. I can't source what I'm saying but I think I heard somewhere the number 4 and death were important motifs in Versus XIII. Any other number than 4 would have been VERY puzzling.

Anyway. Just give me Hanekoma in that TraversCoffee shop and I'll be happy. He's the only character that would belong here imo. I can see the rest of the cast crossing over, possibly, but it's not their home world. Or not their home version of this world.

Last edited:

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
in the same interview where nomura pussyfoots around whether or not it's connected to TWEWY (leaning heavily to "not" and essentially downplaying any connection), the interviewer then asks if what we're seeing is the world of Verum Rex to which Nomura replies bluntly "yes, that's right".

like the writing seems on the wall to me that shibuya is verum rex, not twewy, and while it may have some nods or references to the latter, it likely won't be meaningfully involved in any way close to what fans are picturing. so, temper your expectations and write your fanfics instead.

sephydark

Awards
I agree with the people saying that there's no way KH3 ending Shibuya is TWEWY Shibuya due to how they look. The artstyle used for KH3's Shibuya area looks less like TWEWY to me than the artstyle for typical KH original worlds (which is already not the same), and I can't imagine the TWEWY characters fitting in without undergoing significant redesigns while they worked just fine in Traverse town in 3D. And keep in mind, Nomura started as an artist so there's no way he doesn't think about that kind of stuff.

The 4 in 104 just represents death. That's why it's used in TWEWY
Not only that, but 4 can look pretty similar to 9 depending on how you write them. There's really no good option to replace that 4 with; the only reason at all to use a different number is to make sure people know this is not the same world as TWEWY.

That said, none of this is an argument against TWEWY characters showing up as guests in a future game. I feel like it's pretty likely they'd return if Traverse Town is a playable area in another game (admittedly, that's a big if) and might come back in some other way, too. With the anime being made, they're probably on Nomura's mind right now so I'd say that makes it even more likely they'd come back.

Blackrazor187

Awards
Website
www.rogueotakugamer.com
I don't know enough about Shibuya or TWEWY to even speculate on what is going on. All I know is I would love to see Rhyme again. You don't introduce a cute character like that and then never see her again. Bring back Rhyme!

I liked Rhyme alot in TWERY and its a shame she wasn't utilzed more besides being used a plot device.

Chie

Awards
I have been thinking a comparison to Traverse Town/Radiant Garden/Twilight Town/etc. might be right. An original world with an original purpose and key cast, but that also has a mix of elements from FF, or in this case TWEWY (+ more?), added in for inspiration and flavor. Like how Leon's homeworld ended up being a place called [Blank] Garden, but it wasn't like it's actually Balamb Garden. So Tokyo here could be a world that shares some characters and concepts from Twewy, but isn't literally meant to be the game's world, and with a bigger function of being Yozora's world.

The difference is that in this case it has a strong metafictional context with Versus XIII, XV and Nomura's career, so rather than completely original it's more based on his past ideas. (Which... kinda makes twewy fit even more if it's something important to Nomura, though it's not like he wrote or directed that game or anything.)

AegisXIII

Awards
By the way, I haven't played TWEWY. I wanted to. But I heard bad things about the switch port. Not fun in dock mode. Should I do it anyway? Is it worth 50$?

Somnus cealum

Awards
i do think that twewy will be in kh soon. and maybe kairi will help out and save sora. i do believe that more kh characters will go to shibuya and maybe we will meet neku.

Chie

Awards
By the way, I haven't played TWEWY. I wanted to. But I heard bad things about the switch port. Not fun in dock mode. Should I do it anyway? Is it worth 50$?
Honestly I played the Switch version for the Final Remix chapters and although it was still really enjoyable (played in handheld), I feel like I missed something by not playing the DS version because people say all kinds of really interesting things about the gameplay, how it blends so well with the themes of the game, how it has a steep learning curve but then it suddenly clicks and it's a great experience. The Switch version's gameplay wasn't "bad" per se but not as memorable as the way people talk about the DS version, so I feel like I did myself a disservice.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Play in handheld with a stylus or your finger. It’s almost like playing it on the DS but just not as fun. Docked is the least intuitive mode.

alolansentret

Awards
I agree with a lot of the people saying it seems like a hub world like twilight town/traverse town/etc, it looks a lot more like an original world with TWEWY Shibuya influence/references than an actual recreation of the TWEWY Shibuya. Since it's supposed to be in the Verum Rex world, I'm guessing this Shibuya (I guess it would technically be Yozora's Shibuya?) will only stay relevant until the plot point with Yozora is explained & resolved. I still think it's cool that there are some slight TWEWY references and it would be cool to see Hanekoma appear in one of the shops, and even for some of the characters to have a cameo or be mentioned by him. The Shibuya/Insomnia world(s) are already so detailed I would be surprised if we didn't get to walk around them at some point and see everything they have to offer.

Actually, I thought at first that the Shibuya/Insomnia world you fight Yozora in was just supposed to reference the two different world Sora and Riku appeared in, but those two worlds being related makes sense I guess for the plot going forward. Though it does just feel like Nomura combined two of the places he worked on just cuz he designed them and wanted to make people think they were related to the games they appeared in..

I've only played the DS version but its very fun!! I feel like the switch version isn't as much of a full experience as the DS version is, if that makes sense? But again i havent played it. I think if you're really adamant about wanting to play through the most complete version of the game so far, you can get it (it has an extra segment at the end and more items), but honestly I think the DS version is much better. You can probably get it 2nd hand on ebay, and gamestop also has it for like 20$, and then just watch the extra story segment online.

Back