• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

How will KH concepts be represented in future titles?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

2 quid is good

Awards
How do you guys think KH original concepts like the various hub worlds, dive to the heart, maybe even Darkside (or Twilight Thorn lul) will be represented going forward? Will there be a focus on them or will they be kept to the sidelines until the endgame? Will Disney remain overpowering in the KH formula or do you think the devs are rethinking the whole thing?

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I don't know about hub worlds, I guess that depends on what returns. Worlds like RG, TT, LoD, DI are homeworlds to the main cast so any could return in one form or another. As for the Disney being overpowering? Probably. Nothing suggest they'll change. And big successful Disney properties like Moana or Zootopia will probably have the same level of restrictions as a Frozen and Tangled did. The same probably applies to Pixar in how they handled Toy Story and Monsters Inc.

One thing I'd like in places like Twilight Town or Radiant Garden is some Disney Npcs. It's great we have npc's in towns now but why not create some Disney one's too? For example a random pelican walking around. This way Donald and Goofy don't stick out in large crowds of humans the way they do, because it would be the norm. These are for hub worlds, not Disney movie worlds where that isn't the norm. It would be no different then having Scrooge or the nephews in a hub world. Still maybe that's asking too much...maybe it wouldn't fit, I don't know anymore.

AR829038

Awards
How do you guys think KH original concepts like the various hub worlds, dive to the heart, maybe even Darkside (or Twilight Thorn lul) will be represented going forward? Will there be a focus on them or will they be kept to the sidelines until the endgame? Will Disney remain overpowering in the KH formula or do you think the devs are rethinking the whole thing?
Disney being predominant is a certainty. Kingdom Hearts is, after all, legally a Disney property, so of course it's going to mostly have to do with Disney-related material.
I do get the feeling, however, that we'll move more deeply into the original material as well. After all, that's been the trajectory for most of this series since KH1. And with both the Foretellers and Yozora, I sense we'll see an even deeper leaning on original stuff. My main concern is the Final Fantasy IP, which took a huge hit in KH3, and they seem the most vulnerable to getting left on the sidelines. Although, hopefully Nomura has learned his lesson about the fans wanting them, so he'll probably be more conscious to keep them in from now on.

NoWay

Awards
I want a “Kingdom Hearts: Verum Rex” game with Yozora as the main character without any Disney world.

2 quid is good

Awards
I think if KH keeps on going down this route of using original worlds and concepts as sparingly as possible it's gonna create more of a backlash amongst fans. I really hope they don't but unfortunately I don't see them changing up KH3's formula after how wildly successful it was

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I want a “Kingdom Hearts: Verum Rex” game with Yozora as the main character without any Disney world.
There ain't gonna be a KH without Disney, Square's not gonna risk potentially losing sales.

the red monster

Awards
After KH3, i really want less disney stuff in KH... of course they should and will be there for sales, but hopefully not taking 80% of the game. i would take 60-40 (which probably won't happen, ever, sadly.)

Re:Mind was way more fun and interesting because i didn't have to deal with the disney worlds.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I'm hoping they bring back the original hub world formula. I'm guessing with how huge the worlds can be nowadays, they don't want to have small worlds, which is what would happen if you use places like Twilight Town or Radiant Garden, with the intent of using only one or two locations.

So I'm hoping they pick one hub world (whether Radiant Garden, Twilight Town or whatever) and they gradually open up the world for exploration. Each visit leads to an expansion of what you can do in that world (like Radiant Garden in KH2) and has a plot that links to the main story. However DO NOT follow KH2's formula of Radiant Garden > Filler Disney worlds with no main plot connection > Radiant Garden > Filler Disney etc.

KH3 felt like this weird mash-up of KH1 and 2 in terms of what was achieved - it had the elements of Disney being connected to the main plot, but then KH2's long periods of disconnect from actually seeing the plot unfold (you can say Beast's Castle, Land of Dragons and Olympus in KH2 is about the length of one world in KH3).

Basically all I want is the game paced properly. I feel like Nomura has a problem showing us scenes that don't have Sora involved. At the end of the day, the story information needs to be relayed to the player and not shown being relayed to Sora. Ienzo's research in his lab could have easily been a scene with him in the lab, working with Aeleus/Dilan and finding out the information about the hearts in Sora etc. I'd rather have seen Ienzo discover that piece of information, while character building with Aeleus/Dilan and even alluding to their past lives (in Radiant Garden and in the Organization) than a Gummi Phone conversation where Sora babbles on and all Ienzo said was "I think there's a way to save Roxas".

disney233

Awards
I can't even think up a story arc for the Disney worlds for a story of my own because of how...weird of a situation they're in. The Disney aspect and the Final Fantasy aspect of KH is in...a VERY weird situation. One where it's there solely for advertisement...and the other is Final Fantasy, the series that's barely there.

That being said, most likely the original worlds are going to get more attention, from here on in. The problem is, I doubt they'll ever return to 'hub worlds' since they haven't made an appearance since KH2. I mean...Twilight Town in KH3 counts...but it's too small, and doesn't warrant a need to go back and forth, unlike Traverse Town & Radiant Garden.

Actually...I think Olympus shared the same fate. Tournaments haven't made an appearance since KH2. The closest we got is BBS' Mirage Arena. Ironic how a world, most known for its tournaments, isn't even a tournament world in that game.

Veevee

Awards
Ah, I certainly hope they bring some of the best concepts back, even if it is unlikely because Nomura can't keep them together anyway. If the following game doesn't deal with the smell of darkness, I'll go mad.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I can't even think up a story arc for the Disney worlds for a story of my own because of how...weird of a situation they're in. The Disney aspect and the Final Fantasy aspect of KH is in...a VERY weird situation. One where it's there solely for advertisement...and the other is Final Fantasy, the series that's barely there.

That being said, most likely the original worlds are going to get more attention, from here on in. The problem is, I doubt they'll ever return to 'hub worlds' since they haven't made an appearance since KH2. I mean...Twilight Town in KH3 counts...but it's too small, and doesn't warrant a need to go back and forth, unlike Traverse Town & Radiant Garden.

Actually...I think Olympus shared the same fate. Tournaments haven't made an appearance since KH2. The closest we got is BBS' Mirage Arena. Ironic how a world, most known for its tournaments, isn't even a tournament world in that game.
I don't mind KH3 missing the tournaments, but I do wonder why they made that choice. They could have even worked it into ReMIND if they really wanted it and used the space at the top of Olympus as the arena.

I don't think Final Fantasy needs to be in the hub world, but I would like to see them used in Disney worlds in creative ways. Like having a Final Fantasy villain in a Disney world with a villain that can't/won't be allowed to fight. They could have had Mateus from Final Fantasy XII as the boss in Arendelle. They could throw Balthier/Fran into The Caribbean or Treasure Planet worlds. I really don't mind moving on from the Radiant Garden FF characters, but I do want to see other FF characters implemented in ways to make up for Disney's restrictions. That way we can actually get a true cross-over. The only times Disney/Final Fantasy ever truly crossed over in the KH series was Mickey/Donald/Goofy and FF7 characters in Hollow Bastion and in Olympus. I can't tell you how much I expected Lightning to be in Olympus in KH3.

Noivern

Awards
And big successful Disney properties like Moana or Zootopia will probably have the same level of restrictions as a Frozen and Tangled did. The same probably applies to Pixar in how they handled Toy Story and Monsters Inc.

I'm not sure what do you mean by that since the Pixar worlds were the ones that felt the most like the older games? The storylines are all after the original movies and didn't feel restricted by the developer at all, besides the no fighting the game characters part that is a theme throughout the entire game (even though we DID fight Dark Baymax, but not Randall unfortunately).

That being said, I don't think any of the core concepts are in danger or anything. Personally I'm pretty satisfied with how Twilight Town worked in 3 as a purely interaction-based world with no real fighting, I just wish they did more with it throughout the game, like new characters showing up or more sidequests to do, like a young man in love wanting flowers to surprise his wife and then we could grab then in the garden in Olympus or the forest in Corona, or a mom wanting to surprise her kid with a birthday gift which we could grab from Toy World, etc.

Gameplay-wise I just want to interact more with what we have.. Almost all worlds have sort of a hub area but we can't really DO anything there. Corona Kingdom could have had subquests and more interactions to do there with how big they made the city..

Although I love the original worlds, what I really miss isn't the original aspect of them per-se, but the fact that they had stuff to do throughout the entire game with more things unlocking as we get new abilities or progress through the story. 3 had giant worlds but they still managed to feel empty because once you are done with the story they are pretty much done and you don't really need to return later neither, you can finish the entire worlds in pretty much one go if you want to.

I'm okay with Disney taking the frontline again as long as the worlds have stuff to do AFTER the story ends. Give me sidequests, give me secret areas to explore with harder monsters, secret bosses, etc. I don't see any reason why those should be locked to original-worlds only when we have an abundance of interesting scenarios and locations to work with.

D

Deleted member 252753

I'm okay with Disney taking the frontline again as long as the worlds have stuff to do AFTER the story ends. Give me sidequests, give me secret areas to explore with harder monsters, secret bosses, etc. I don't see any reason why those should be locked to original-worlds only when we have an abundance of interesting scenarios and locations to work with.
I definitely agree with this. One of my favourite moments in the original game was going on a carpet ride in Agrabah and suddenly being attacked by Kurt Zisa. I also loved the special Heartless in each world KH1FM so would enjoy more stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm not sure what do you mean by that since the Pixar worlds were the ones that felt the most like the older games? The storylines are all after the original movies and didn't feel restricted by the developer at all, besides the no fighting the game characters part that is a theme throughout the entire game (even though we DID fight Dark Baymax, but not Randall unfortunately).
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Not being able to fight the villains. Otherwise why have them show up? The Pixar worlds were the best worlds in KH3 for me, but they had restrictions too. What was the point of evil Buzz without a fight?

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Even so, Pixar was to a degree restrictive on some of the worlds based on their movies including the Monsters Inc. world as literally the majority of the folks at Pixar were all involved with both the Toy Story and Monster's Inc. worlds in KH3 such as Tasha Sounart, Jason Katz and the characters designers from the Toy Story films and Monster's Inc. Not to mention they did put some guidelines and certain restrictions (not in the level as Frozen's or even Kingdom of Corona's guidelines) on the 2 Pixar based worlds which doesn't surprise me, cause apparently it was most noticeable in Monstropolis as Pixar was VERY Picky and restrictive on that world according to an interview from Nomura and in the Ultimania when compared to Toy Box, which would likely explain why Randall wasn't fought as a boss.

Keep in mind, the worlds of Toy Box and Monstropolis being original stories and not a retelling of the films were all made by the decision at Pixar who requested Nomura to do something that's an original storyline which he did confirmed during his interview following the reveal of the Toy Story world at D23 2017:
[Pixar] preferred for us to not follow the film directly, Nomura explained. They said, Please create something original to Kingdom Hearts, so we did not draw any inspiration from the films. It is completely original and exclusive to Kingdom Hearts, so you can almost say it’s a sequel of some sort.

Honestly only biggest hope is that for the next games we get to fight the Disney antagonists as bosses as long as Nomura or Disney doesn't pull a "CLU" or Randall on them.

Another hope I'd like to see return for future KH ganes which was notably absent in KH3 is letting you go inside some of the buildings (which is a feature that was used in past games), cause in KH3 we actually do not go inside the buildings and structures with doors in most of the worlds (e.g. The Old Mansion, Rapunzel's Tower, Elsa's Ice Castle). Even I'd like to see the return of Reaction commands cause KH3 isn't the same with the different reaction commands that were used against enemies and bosses from KH2

Last edited:

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Not being able to fight the villains. Otherwise why have them show up? The Pixar worlds were the best worlds in KH3 for me, but they had restrictions too. What was the point of evil Buzz without a fight?
Exactly which is no surprise cause in an interview from Nomura and in the Ultimania he confirmed that Monstropolis had the most guidelines compared to Toy Box.

Kirankrt

Exactly which is no surprise cause in an interview from Nomura and in the Ultimania he confirmed that Monstropolis had the most guidelines compared to Toy Box.

This. I'm just worried now that they're just gonna have the villains appear and be beaten in a cutscene. If that's the case, might as well just recycle the villains dialogue from the films.

I honestly thought they did it with Donna Murphy as Gothel until the 'Useless" line to Sora.

I wanna have Disney bosses in these games. There's no reason why they wouldn't be. Pixar declaring their KH3 world's in the game are actually canon to the films was a mistake.

Back