• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► i hate schools that try too hard to make themselves look good.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
since noone in real life aren't helping at all i might as well go here...

So, in my state, we have to take this known as CAPT. (Connecticut Academic Performance Test aka shitty test to show off test grades in snobby rich towns) We take two practice tests before the real CAPT in September and December. (and the real test being in March) The first practice test was taken a few weeks ago, and my dad got into a car crash in New Jersey the night before the final day of testing. The next morning, I didn't hear anything from my dad, which made me worried as hell for most of the day. To make things worse, the test that day was the test I always barley pass. And of course, when we got our scores back a couple weeks ago, I completely bombed it.

I was really "meh" at first because I thought I could just do better in December and everything would be fine. But yesterday, I got called down to the office only to find out I got pulled out of my drawing classes (which I freaking love) into a class for extra help in English. I didn't really care at first because I thought it was only for a couple weeks or something, but then the principal told me I had to take these classes until March, for three days a week. Only because I failed just one portion of the test.

So does anyone know how I can convince my principal and my English teacher to get out of these classes ASAP? I seriously don't want to get pulled out of my drawing classes, since I've been wanting to be a better artist for a while now, and my skills are improving quickly because of that class. And I just find it stupid that I have to take a class on English especially since I scored Goal and Advanced on the other parts, I have an A in Honors English, and yet they still put me in classes with all stupid people. I should tell them my dad was in a massive car crash at the time the test was taken but I don't want it to seem like I'm making an excuse to get out of extra help classes... so help plz:)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
No, you need to tell them your dad was in an accident the day before the test. It might sound like an excuse, but nobody can refute emotional trauma as an issue for failing. Also show them the fact you are in Honors English with an A, show him your work, and try to show him other examples of your proficiency in English from past classes.

Awards
If you have a legitimate, verifiable excuse, why would you choose not to use it?

But I don't recommend that you try to argue this case on your own. Have your parents do it on your behalf. Let them make the call or arrange the meeting, let them talk to your principal and explain the situation, and let them make the request that you be allowed to stay in the art class. I spent twelve years in the public education system, and my experiences there taught me first and foremost that teachers and other authority figures within that establishment do not give a fuck about the opinions or the desires of anybody under the age of thirty, but they will listen to the parents. They are going to be able to pull a lot more strings than you can. Look to them for help.

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
No, you need to tell them your dad was in an accident the day before the test. It might sound like an excuse, but nobody can refute emotional trauma as an issue for failing. Also show them the fact you are in Honors English with an A, show him your work, and try to show him other examples of your proficiency in English from past classes.
They saw all my grades including English and went through my work, but they were basically like "oh, you seem to be doing great in your classes, but this test shows you need more help so we'll give you like 80 hours of special teaching that'll definitely help you pass the CAPT!"

But what you guys said seems to help, so I guess I'll talk to my parents about it and we'll see how things turn out on Monday. Thanks ^^;

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They saw all my grades including English and went through my work, but they were basically like "oh, you seem to be doing great in your classes, but this test shows you need more help so we'll give you like 80 hours of special teaching that'll definitely help you pass the CAPT!"

But what you guys said seems to help, so I guess I'll talk to my parents about it and we'll see how things turn out on Monday. Thanks ^^;

Then I also recommend having your parents show how standardize tests don't prove the ability of a student and it is a proven fact.

Gram

Banned
Awards
i'd tell them bout the car crash, you were destracted. then if they ignored me still i'd do something to piss off the whole staff (but thats just me)

True. That will just insult the staff. But it is a true fact. Those tests don't prove the abilities and level of intelligence of a student.
no truer words have ever been spoken.

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
here we have the taks test (Texas assessment of knowledge and skills)

its such a joke
at least for upper level people

they assume we will pass even if we dont study, which we always do

Chakolat Strawberry

caramel delight
Awards
I did what you guys said, and they're only taking me out of my study hall for two days, and I don't have to take those classes :D *is very happy she's back in her art classes*

Thanks, guys :)
here we have the taks test (Texas assessment of knowledge and skills)

its such a joke
at least for upper level people

they assume we will pass even if we dont study, which we always do
Upper-class men here don't have to take it, unless if they failed it as sophomores, who're the only ones who have to take the test. And there's always a good bunch who fails, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back