• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I Hope The Ending of KH3 affects Sora

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Kotaro14

Although, I felt the pacing and how some characters were handled wasn’t at its best in KH3, I genuinely enjoyed and was intrigued by Sora's character in the game. Sora’s exploration of death, sacrifice, and how he uses his little understanding of that to make the decision he makes at the end of the game was probably my favorite aspect of KH3.

At the same time, though, I couldn’t help but feel there was something that wasn’t being addressed. While Young Xehanort’s (and other’s) ominous comments towards Sora in retrospect seem to have been directly foreshadowing his death. When I was first playing I interpreted what they were saying in a more abstract way. The concept of too many hearts relying on another causing it to break made me think of Sora’s emotional state.

Sora, this 16-year-old boy, has had to deal with so much in these games, and that’s sort of been brushed under the rug up till now. I’ve wanted and felt for the longest time that Sora has needed a push into an exploration of his insecurities, his experiences, and how that has affected him negatively up till now.

Of course, I don’t want Sora to change from his happy go lucky self, but I do think that Sora’s positive nature could be that much more special if he goes through an arc where he has to challenge or address himself regarding this.

I’m aware that this might not be explored at all, he is the protagonist, and his optimism is a staple point of the series. With him not being able to contact any of his friends, probably not knowing if he’ll ever see any of them again, and Yozora trying to “save” him, though, he’s entered what seems to be one of the darkest and loneliest times of his character so far - And I want that to have meaning.

KH is infamous when it comes to death and the minuscule stakes regarding it. In terms of exploring individual character growth in regards to psychological trauma, though, it takes itself very seriously. No character’s trauma or what they’ve experienced has ever been written off. Riku, Aqua, Roxas, Xion, and many other characters changed and grew because they had to experience and face the worst of what KH’s story had to offer them.

Sora’s death had weight to it, but I believe that many of us aren’t really worried in terms of him coming back from it. I want that weight to pay off, though, and if that can happen in a way that finally addresses what he has gone through then I’ll be very happy.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Very well said. I do think that’s how it’s been set up; whether it be by means of the Reaper’s Game or something else, it’s definitely Sora’s turn to be put through the wringer in his own way. The callback to Sora’s first lines in the series - “like, is any of this for real, or not?” - heavily implicates, as far as I can tell, that as the series moves toward dealing with meta questions more directly, this will also mirror Sora’s own experience in which the line between fantasy and reality becomes increasingly blurred. The introduction of Yozora at this juncture is also certainly no coincidence, though it remains to be seen whether he’ll merely serve as an externalization/projection of Sora’s unconscious shadow elements, or be a catalyst for him to really submerge in those more difficult/intractable questions. I’m more curious now than I’ve ever been about Sora’s future character trajectory

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I agree. I really hope that Sora's death has him - not become "darker", but actually change his behaviour a bit. He's always been carefree about the consequence of his actions, so I'm hoping now he maybe is more cautious. I'm just hoping that his time visiting Shibuya and on his own really lets Sora delve into himself as a character. I think he needs that growth away from other characters and always saving his friends. This will be the perfect time for Sora to mature a bit and maybe mature the style of storytelling in Phase 2.

Back