• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

I like/dislike Final Fantasy ____ , and here's why:

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
re: I like/dislike Final Fantasy ____, and here's why:

Having only played only a bit more than half of the series, I'd say no (Although I must point out that I haven't finished a few i.e., IV, IX and XIII). All games are enjoyable in their own merit, even some of the spin-offs that aren't well received.

System Shock

Bronze Member
Awards

I can easily agree with that statement Sham. Whenever the newest one arises, people find something wrong with it due to its difference. But that's just it, it is different. Square tries to change it up as much as possible without discarding the actual 'Final Fantasy' feel to the game. It keeps it fresh, and makes the games so great.

It's not surprising for the newest to get bashed, especially when it had a great predecessor. If someone for example really liked VII, they could easily say they didn't like VIII just because of the difference from the previous. When people like certain things in a game series, that's what they expect to see in the follow up. Though in my mind, regardless of change, I find everyone I have played is truly good in it's own way.

I'll give an example to my original point though, I picked up the new Gameboy Advance SP version for FFIV when it came out. I hadn't expected much of it at the time, just thought it would be a least a little entertaining.... I ended up playing the game nonstop until I beat it, and at the same moment, made it one of my favorites.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards

XII seems to have a great story but it has the most poorly designed, lack luster combat systems of the whole series, AND NO THE QUICKENINGS & SUMMONS DONT MAKE UP FOR IT! ADB IS ANABOMINATION!!!!!!

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

XII seems to have a great story but it has the most poorly designed, lack luster combat systems of the whole series, AND NO THE QUICKENINGS & SUMMONS DONT MAKE UP FOR IT! ADB IS ANABOMINATION!!!!!!

Me and every journalist ever disagree. FFXII had an amazing combat/gameplay system. Gambits were great unless you did what most Final Fantasy people do, and use a guide, which ruined it.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards

Gambits were interesting but the thing is in almost all FF you have to do some grinding at one point or another, which usually isnt very fun, but I don't mind when the combat is fast & fun ADB is so poorly designed to where it saps almost all the fun out of combat, which makes grinding seiously boring, and during most battles I was struck with a feeing of helplesness & confusion even when the fight was going fine & i was winning, when fighting against multiple enemies I had no idea what was going on, I finally put the controller dow after 8 hours. At the time I was aboard the prison ship fighting the 1st judge.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net

ADB is so poorly designed to where it saps almost all the fun out of combat, which makes grinding seiously boring, and during most battles I was struck with a feeing of helplesness & confusion even when the fight was going fine & i was winning, when fighting against multiple enemies I had no idea what was going on

dunno if that's a design problem bro

platinumrug

I guess my opinion wouldn't really count, since I've ever only played 10 and 10-2, and I never beat 10-2 on account of playing KH and liking it more. And GTA VC. I never played the old ones, I'm not really a big fan of turn based systems.

Janus Q

i think the FF Formula is something like this.

1). An incredible opening that sets the tone for the game
2). A story that entices you to play more in order to know more
3). A battle system that is easy to understand and enjoyable while offering it's own challenges
4). Characters that make you want to care about them, who they are, where they've been and where their going
5). Sidequests and mini games that don't feel too out of the way in order to complete them.
6). a conclusion that makes us all go "wow" and then "ahh that's nice"

and in between are Pace of the Game, easy enough to return to if you haven't played it for a while, and replay ability.

in terms of these the only games that come close to mind are FF13 and FF12. My main problem with 13 is i felt like the computer was playing for me most of the time and I felt like i needed a break every now and then like relaxing in a village and play a mini game, however none were found, I felt constantly rushed in the game. And twelves only flaw with me was the fact that i the bosses needed level grinding before fighting them and flying monsters couldn't be hit with a sword. other then that i liked them, but a bad game is hard to find by definition.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

IV, they switch/kill off characters in there almost more than XIII :/. Its not a bad game but for me its meh.

I agree with you, and I do find it irritating that IGN always puts it right near the top of heir best FFs ever PURELY with rose-tinted specs. It is after all a linear Star Wars rip-off with little customization.

Having said that, there's something soo charming about those little characters, and the initial plot is GENIUS! It's a mixed bag, but I'm currently doing a little FFIV Complete Collection of my own (the WiiWare versions of both games) and I'm loving every minute.

Rexy

Bronze Member

I hated FFXII -.- i hated the gameplay.
I loved XIII xD

Last edited:

FASTMONEY

I thought VIII was pretty awful. If only because the storu was a big mess and every party characters whose name wasnt Rinoa or Squall had less development than a cardboard box. I love it when people say the characters in XII were one dimensional, when we had people like selphie and zell in VIII, now that is shallow characterization.
Other than that the game was alright. Great music tho.

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards

Even though I base my judge on reviews and watching some gameplay, FFXIV looks like the worst.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

IV, they switch/kill off characters in there almost more than XIII

Rly? I know you switch characters a lot because of parallel plots, but I fail to remember a character killed off in XIII. You stick with the main cast of six right through to the endboss, don't you?

Out of the FFs I played (VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XIII, Crisis Core and Dissidia) I won't say I found any of them really bad, as I actually enjoyed playing any of them.
On a side note I'm still on XIII and X-2 was up to now the only one I didn't bother to finish...lol.
I do have some complaints about some titles, i.e. the draw-thingy from VIII, but hey, no game is perfect.

As for FF XIII, so far I'm really satisfied with the characters and the battle system as well as the story itself and the growth system, expanding the crystarium only in set intervals is actually a nice twist to prevent ridiculously overpowering your party and so keeping story bosses also a challenge.
So far the only thing I found to complain about XIII is that it is really a tad too overly linear in the aspect of locations and so many places are just one-time-visits.
I would really like to visit the Sunleth Waterscape or Palumpolum again, yet the game doesn't even let you after you get some more free movement.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net

I find it agreeable that some people didn't like Final Fantasy XIII based on how little exploration the game allowed in the first two-thirds. I personally did not mind, but I believe this is in turn due to the level design choices for many of the Cocoon environments. Eventually the game does allow for plenty of exploration on pulse via the monster hunting sidequest. However, people misunderstand their own argument when they call the game overly linear; all Final Fantasy games are predominantly linear through narrative and exploration.

Just my two gils.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards

I would say Final Fantasy II since it felt pretty broken but then again, I can't really blame it because it was an old game.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net

Final Fantasy II is only broken if you break it.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

I agree with you on the opinion of XIII, Shamdeo.
As I'm now just up to the Fifth Ark I don't know how much game remains, lol, but since the story is laid around a group of universally hated (wrongly, but it's a fact) people it would be actually weird storywise to let you return to Palumpolum or Nautilus.

Maybe because you have so much one-time-visits it just makes the linearity of XIII shine out more than other FF-Titles, whose stories were also linear, yet you get chances to go exploring on your own quite a bit earlier and more often than in XIII.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

Final Fantasy II was ahead of it's time in terms of story and it's battle system inspired the SAGA series which improved on the battle system. Of course everyone outside japan would not see how revolutionary it was at the time.

Its not the best game in series but at least that game felt like it was finished.

And in my opinion FFV is the best game in series fallowed by XII and VI.

Back