• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

If Fumito Ueda were to create a First Person game...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macabre

Gold Member
Would you play it?

When people talk about their experience with a Fumito Ueda game, whether it's exploring hand-in-hand with Yorda in a lonely castle Ico, scaling beasts of unimaginable size in Shadow of the Colossus or watching a trailer for The Last Guardian and knowing the game's probably going to make you shed a tear by the end, it's consistently an experience laden with strong emotions. Ueda's games make people feel something. But what games does he react to?

"Half-Life 2," said Ueda during an interview at Tokyo Game Show last week.

Half-Life 2? I thought shooters weren't popular in Japan. But, again, he nodded. Why Half-Life 2?

(Keep in mind, these answers are delivered through a translator answering hundreds, if not thousands, of foreign language questions over the course of several days. Some of the answer is lost.)

Here's why.

"There was variation in terms locations," said Ueda, "and also the way of storytelling in the game. Usually, you have to incorporate storytelling with constraints, but the way they [Half-Life 2 developer Valve] implemented constraints was something different that I enjoyed, compared to other games."

Much of the storytelling in Valve's games takes place through non-traditional means. You aren't pulled away from the action to watch a scene play out in letterbox or forced to look in a direction. The cut-scenes unfold around you and you are the camera.

"Usually, when it comes to the cut-scenes, you can't really play -- [that] operation isn't really allowed," he said. "That kind of game is something that I don't want to see. If you're constrained already even before cut-scene, then you're in cut-scene, then that's fine. But you're in the middle of play, in the middle of the game, then all of a sudden you're in a cut-scene [and] you're not supposed to operate at all -- that's not the kind of game I want to do. If there is some other techniques that will not give them that kind of feeling, that's something I want to implement."

The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico were all from similar third-person perspectives. Given his appreciation for Valve's brand of storytelling and appreciation of what's possible from that vantage point, does that mean he'd consider making a move into the first-person in the future?

"I have an interest in making first-person games," he said.

I'd play a Ueda-developed first-person game, wouldn't you?
Fumito Ueda's A Big Half-Life 2 Fan, Interested In Making A First-Person Game - G4tv.com

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
Yes. I think it'd feel like Mirror's Edge in terms of personality, but better and better story and better everything.

I hate how Kotaku says "FPS" though. He never said FPS. Kotaku never learns to pay attention to whatever they write.

S

Shadow Soldier

I LOVED MIRRORS EDGE! Story was weak, but I loved the gameplay.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
You think in a far too literal manner. All he is saying is that he wants to make games where the story plays out within the gameplay itself, which is why he loves Half-Life so much. He may do a FPS game, he may not. The point is that he likes the way the story isn't visually interrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back