• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

If they remade Com and DDD, then why couldn't they remade 358/2 days and coded

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Grey Skies

Awards
They could remake any game in the series. It's just a matter of money. It's a matter of how much money they want to put into a remake and how much money they expect to make by doing so. When making 1.5, they remade certain Days cutscenes and added summaries for other scenes because this was way cheaper than a full remake, which would have pushed back the release date and made the game more expensive to make, reducing the gross margin and making it necessary to sell far more copies to make the profit they needed.

If Days had been made on the PSP instead of the DS, SE would likely have remastered it for 1.5 because the game would already have been made with relatively high-poly models and high-resolution textures along with much more animation, and most fans would be happy if all they did was make the game render at a higher resolution and maybe replace some textures with new, more detailed ones. Days, on the other hand, needed to be remade instead of remastered because of how dinky the models and textures were along with the minimal animation. In the eyes of most players they would be polishing a turd.

They didn't want to put in too much money, so their options were remaking some cutscenes or polishing a turd. It happens to be a turd I love very much, but it would not have gone over well with most people.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Keep in mind CoM was legit GBA pixels and I believe it only took them a year to port it to the Playstation. It should have been doable.

They simply decided not to.

pastel.goblin

Awards
I know Days is the fandom's sweetheart, but I've never really got the hype and this is coming from a Roxas fan. I was excited when it was announced (a game about Roxas and Axel, two of my fave characters at the time, showing how they became friends and revealing more about the Organization?? yes please) but the game was a slog to get through and the story disappointing to me. Overall it doesn't really add much to the plot, so I'd rather they spend the time and resources on new games rather than a remake.

GreyouTT

Awards
They had to do a lot of work on KH1's remaster since they lost the source code. It ate a lot of development time, and remaking Days would have meant delaying KH3. I assume Coded would have also meant a delay for 3, so there's that as well.

With it out now though, I would LOVE to see Coded in HD; it's my favorite game in the series.

Then again... *Looks at potential 3D Remake of X/DR*

Cumguardian69

Awards
Because they hate good ideas and dont want to put in too much effort for good gameplay where sales won't count.

If they remade Days, for.example, they would.need to fight back fl*aty combat and meaningfully diversify physical combat (compare Aubade to KK to O&O). This requires a MASSIVE overhaul of the game engine. Presumably they'd be using BBS or DDD engine as a base, both of which have god awful physical combat.

If they did Re:coded, theyd need to design 3D rooms where they werent used previously, theyd need to remake minigames and so on. Not worth it tbh.

I would love for them to happen but SE hates good ideas and prefers to sequelbait instead

Chie

Awards
Yep, it definitely wasn't time, it was that.

Not that you'd actually need to do all that stuff, I'd love to just play the exact same game but in HD on console, which is what the goal would have been if they had chosen to remake the DS games (going by everything else).

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Keep Days as it is. It’s charming and ambitious as a DS title. Hot take: If I had the power to add/remove something, I would destroy the movie version. Talk about half assed.
358/2 Days is a character focused game. There’s no grand evil or catastrophe that must be confronted. It’s about a group of people trying to figure out how they fit in world that doesn’t care for them. The conflicts are interpersonal and have more human consequences.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I know Days is the fandom's sweetheart, but I've never really got the hype and this is coming from a Roxas fan. I was excited when it was announced (a game about Roxas and Axel, two of my fave characters at the time, showing how they became friends and revealing more about the Organization?? yes please) but the game was a slog to get through and the story disappointing to me. Overall it doesn't really add much to the plot, so I'd rather they spend the time and resources on new games rather than a remake.
It isn't actually. Days may have the loudest fans but this game has been divisive from the moment it was revealed that there was a 14th member of Organization XIII.

That being said, I agree with most others here. This is a very self-contained game that doesn't introduce anything new to the lore and has little relevance to the next saga. To spend the time and resources into remaking this game now would be a complete waste.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I know in the other thread, I mentioned how it would be nice but their time is better spent on moving forward rather than revisiting the past of the series. I wanted to expand on this a bit.

Now, if a remake for Days was in consideration, they have to decide over a few things:

1) Old style or new style? Whenever people discuss a Days remake across the internet, this creates a lot of split views.

On one hand, they could totally use the old style and development probably won't take forever. They would have nearly all of the cutscenes animated and voiced. Most of their time could be spent on developing the gameplay system and deciding how to implement MP. It would be cheap and quick beyond the MP elements which would probably be the more costly aspect if they decide to do it.

On the other, now that we are in a post-old style age, why should they keep reusing the old graphics? This is their opportunity to create something beautiful. They can reuse some KH3 assets and create new ones that can be used in future games depending on what properties they wish to revisit. The thing is, it would be costly and take up a lot of time to develop.

2) Is it worth spending money on a Days remake? Regardless of which option was chosen, is it worth spending all of that money to make this happen?

3) What value is there in revisiting Days? What sort of importance does it hold for the future of the series?
Honestly, as much as I love Days' story, the only thing they could possibly do to make it even remotely viable for a Phase 2 release is including information about Subject X, Chamber of Repose/Waking, and more background on Luxord/Demyx/Marluxia/Larxene's time spent in the Organization and their origins. Of course, if they added all of that, it would basically take away from what Days is... IE Roxas' story. Even if they did explore Subject X more in conversation between Saix/Axel, it would kill the payoff that we received in KH III where we finally found out why Saix was filled with rage (his jealousy of Axel making new friends). If we find out that Saix is jealous while Axel is just beginning to make friends, it would just be poor storytelling.

Foxycian

Awards
might sound hilarious but I was devastated when I learned the days remake was just a movie cause I wanted a remake game soo bad, I spaced out for a long while and was in denial that it’s just gonna be a movie, but now I’m satisfied I don’t really need to revisit the past games again, Days remake might not add anything new, and it already had its moments having a game a movie And a manga as well, Coded already had a remake Re:Coded and it won’t really add anything it already gave us the data stuff which is important but other then that it won’t add anything new.

NoWay

Awards
What I don’t understand is do they really need to recreate everything? I mean, in KH2 we have Twilight Town and many of the Disney world from Days. Couldn’t the developers use everything from KH2, adjust the Roxas gameplay here and there and call it a day?

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
That being said, I agree with most others here. This is a very self-contained game that doesn't introduce anything new to the lore and has little relevance to the next saga. To spend the time and resources into remaking this game now would be a complete waste.

Which is why it was slotted as a movie and not a full remake. The only ones invested are those that liked the game in the first place and those who might get curious at playing the full thing via said movie, probably rare.

The next saga is already underway and RAX's melodramatic trio nonsense is closed. Thank goodness for that, let the series move on.

Foxycian

Awards
What about 0.2 tho? I was soo excited for it to be a full game till it turned out to be a prologue game instead, now that TAV are back together There is hope for a full birth by sleep 2 game with all three playable.

Similar to what TwilightNight said, I believe there is no More RAX, they are full Gang with isa and possibly Hayner pence and ollete, it feels like the trio stuff are a thing of the past now.

Chie

Awards
What I don’t understand is do they really need to recreate everything? I mean, in KH2 we have Twilight Town and many of the Disney world from Days. Couldn’t the developers use everything from KH2, adjust the Roxas gameplay here and there and call it a day?
Off the top of my head they would have to make models for many heartless as well as the many weapons. Not a huge load, but enough that it would still be "a project".

Incidentally I had a good time replaying Days and coded last year, a thing that is still possible to do.

AegisXIII

Awards
They totally could. All the assets of kh2 can be reused. You saw how fast Melody of Memory was developped. The only thing that would require a bit of effort would be Neverland and a bit of the cavern in agrabah.

Grey Skies

Awards
It would require more than just making Neverland and the cavern. It would require making a few heartless textures, many keyblade models (other weapons too if the multiplayer is intact), visual effects in combat, and most importantly lots and lots of animation and likely more voice acting. Then comes redesigning the gameplay, and I know it's not easy to make a satisfying and well-balanced action RPG. God forbid Days is ever remade with the exact same controls, mechanics, and AI.

I'm frustrated too by how Days is one of the few KH games to never be remade or remastered. I don't count cutscenes as a game. It probably would be less expensive than Re:CoM was to make.

AegisXIII

Awards
It would require more than just making Neverland and the cavern. It would require making a few heartless textures, many keyblade models (other weapons too if the multiplayer is intact), visual effects in combat, and most importantly lots and lots of animation and likely more voice acting. Then comes redesigning the gameplay, and I know it's not easy to make a satisfying and well-balanced action RPG. God forbid Days is ever remade with the exact same controls, mechanics, and AI.

I'm frustrated too by how Days is one of the few KH games to never be remade or remastered. I don't count cutscenes as a game. It probably would be less expensive than Re:CoM was to make.
Maybe if it was made straight after DDD it would have been easier, yes. but now most of the team focus is on the future and some of the knowledge of the past has probably been lost. Melody of Memory is using Unity, which is not the inhouse engine used for previous titles. Although the look and feel is similar, I am pretty sure they have had a lot of work to recreate this look and feel.

And that's the thing. This was a huge job probably to recreate the look and feel of the past. Independently of assets, they had to have the animation system to work as before, the shading and various tweaks. If a remake of days was to come to life, it would have to be now or never, because this new engine is ready to be used. Personally, I keep hopes for the next gen, but after that, it would be dead and burried.

Last edited:

Foxycian

Awards
Maybe if it was made straight after DDD it would have been easier, yes. but now most of the team focus is on the future and some of the knowledge of the past has probably been lost. Melody of Memory is using Unity, which is not the inhouse engine used for previous titles. Although the look and feel is similar, I am pretty sure they have had a lot of work to recreate this look and feel.

And that's the thing. This was a huge job probably to recreate the look and feel of the past. Independently of assets, they had to have the animation system to work as before, the shading and various tweaks. If a remake of days was to come to life, it would have to be now or never, because this new engine is ready to be used. Personally, I keep hopes for the next gen, but after that, it would be dead and burried.
Didn’t Nomura say he always wanted to make a xehanort game but couldn’t because Kh3 was the end of the dark seeker saga? His only option to make his Xehanort game was on phone which is much easier and most people won’t be annoyed that we went back temporarily to the seeker saga again, making days remake is like going back to the seeker saga since it doesn’t serve anything new, Union cross is part of the first phase but also leads to the second phase, Dark road is part of the second phase but the story is a prequel to the seeker saga of the first phase which is also connected to the second saga since dark road will most likely show us new things that is connected to the foretellers saga, lol sorry if what I wrote is a bit complicated.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
They totally could. All the assets of kh2 can be reused. You saw how fast Melody of Memory was developped. The only thing that would require a bit of effort would be Neverland and a bit of the cavern in agrabah.
There are sections in Beast Castle and Wonderland that would also have to be made. And several playable characters if they kept that feature. It would be a lot of work to make. I want it, but it's not happening.

Back