• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

If you had to erase one character from existence entirely, who would you choose?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
Again, you are speaking in hypotheticals, which isn't the same as actual criticism. Again, I ask... so what? So what they created Xion. It just seems you just have a problem with character rather her actual use in the story and just focusing on nitpicks that don't really matter because Xenmas not being able to find her for month has nothing to do with anything. He has members of The Orgainzation actively searching for her, including Axel. That's not a problem with the story and DiZ has no reason to go after Roxas right now since Sora is still recovering his memories. Adding Roxas into the mix way too early, espeically with delicate of a process fixing his chain of memories was, and especially considering Roxas isn't even a fully formed person, would have messed everything up. I mean, that's the same argument you can use for KH2, so that's not even problem with 358/2 Days itself. So on that, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Also, if Noruma really wanted to do the things you said he was going to do in interviews... THEN HE SHOULD'VE JUST DID IT. Instead he went a different route that he felt was better. So again, that's not the fault of the story, Noruma decided to change the story. Thats not criticism, that's you wanting the story to be something that isn't anymore.

The thread itself is hypothetical.

I have a problem with her character, but having a problem with a character doesn't have anything to do with the character's necessity. Xion's superfluous; everything would have played out how it was due to the result existing before her existence. If Xion was there or was not there nothing would change. So that makes her dispensable.

------ SUBJECTIVE -------

Organization? Is Axel the sole member of the Organization now? Axel, who is known to be friends with Xion and Roxas, therefore is compromised due to attachment (that everyone knows about). I didn't see the members going around looking for Xion. Or how pawns were given the freedom they had at all when there was a chance they could have gone rogue because of anything. That definitely is an issue with the story. Diz would have been planning and plotting, finding ways to get Roxas, because Sora still recovering his memories is due to him running around existing and not being returned to his original. The less Roxas is a fully formed person, the better too. Less individuality, less reason to fight to live. KHII has Diz at least already take action by grabbing him via Riku and putting him in a data version of Twilight Town. And this is why I placed this in the subjective part. You don't have to agree, so yes, agree to disagree.

Again, you can make the same argument with ANY character in this story or any character in any story. It's not that hard to do, which is why its easy-pickings criticism that has no weight unless you seriously want nitpick every single plot in this story that really doesn't matter in the end, like Axel not noticing or knowing his keyblades. Okay, and? What about Riku asking Roxas why he has a keyblade WHEN HE SHOULD ALREADY KNOW THAT. I never said these stories are flawless but these super nick picks that you can makes with ALL of these stories. Its almost as if KH as a story is pretty flawed, even the good ones.

Not exactly, and not really. There are characters that influence the series in more than one game, especially to the overarching plot. My perception of the question asked by OP relies on what would occur if that character was taken out from their place in the story. If that character would have to be replaced with another character with similar powers in the narrative, or an object to achieve similar things in the narrative, then that character has more place than others within the universe. Roxas' "motivation" to leave and/or return is abstract and personal. It has nothing to do with the plot but the character itself. That motivation has multiple options that doesn't need an object or another character added to pull up the result it did.

To put it another way, let's say one person picks Roxas for this thread. So Roxas doesn't exist. Since Xion's relevancy is tied to him, she automatically doesn't exist with him because there's no other purpose for her. But Roxas can exist without her if he exists, while Xion can't exist without him period.

Now a person can disagree or not like that Xion was chosen by others, but that decision to pick that character has anvil sized amount of reason behind it that is valid.

Also, I feel you skimmed over my argument as to why Xion was necessary because Sora's memories are not enough of justification for Roxas to act like a idiot and go back to the one place he was specifically told he couldnt come back too, otherwise he would be killed. If Roxas just left The Oragnization and that was it, the plot would not moves forward because Roxas has no resources and no point of origin to look for Sora anyway. It's even explained in 358/2 Days, where the hell was Roxas going to go? He has nowhere to go. That's not something you can easily gloss over. Riku vs Roxas makes no sense in isolation or even in the context of KH2 because, again, he has no reason to go back to The Organization, especially not to find Sora.

I'm pretty sure Roxas was trying to accomplish something, him being an "idiot" by going back is just your personal interpretation, hardly anyone cared in the fandom. As for that something, read above. Roxas and Riku fighting was going to happen, no matter the setting, because Roxas was needed and Riku was working with Diz. Finding out why he came back, whatever that would have been, doesn't change the result.

Also, don't use the argument of me displaying my argument for Xion's existence as if I'm just bitching for the sake of it. He asked me a question, I answered the best way I could. That just feels like deflecting to make me look like an asshole when I'm simply explaining my argument, same as you are.

Nobody is making you look like an asshole?

Last edited:

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
The thread itself is hypothetical.

I have a problem with her character, but having a problem with a character doesn't have anything to do with the character's necessity. Xion's superfluous; everything would have played out how it was due to the result existing before her existence. If Xion was there or was not there nothing would change. So that makes her dispensable.

------ SUBJECTIVE -------

Organization? Is Axel the sole member of the Organization now? Axel, who is known to be friends with Xion and Roxas, therefore is compromised due to attachment (that everyone knows about). I didn't see the members going around looking for Xion. Or how pawns were given the freedom they had at all when there was a chance they could have gone rogue because of anything. That definitely is an issue with the story. Diz would have been planning and plotting, finding ways to get Roxas, because Sora still recovering his memories is due to him running around existing and not being returned to his original. The less Roxas is a fully formed person, the better too. Less individuality, less reason to fight to live. KHII has Diz at least already take action by grabbing him via Riku and putting him in a data version of Twilight Town. And this is why I placed this in the subjective part. You don't have to agree, so yes, agree to disagree.

Not exactly, and not really. There are characters that influence the series in more than one game, especially to the overarching plot. My perception of the question ask by OP relies on what would occur if that character was taken out from their place in the story. If that character would have to be replaced with another character with similar powers in the narrative, or an object to achieve similar things in the narrative, then that character has more place than others within the universe. Roxas' "motivation" to leave and/or return is abstract and personal. It has nothing to do with the plot but the character itself. That motivation has multiple options that doesn't need an object or another character added to pull up the result it did.

I'm pretty sure Roxas was trying to accomplish something, him being an "idiot" by going back is just your personal interpretation, hardly anyone cared in the fandom. As for that something, read above. Roxas and Riku fighting was going to happen, no matter the setting, because Roxas was needed and Riku was working with Diz. Finding out why he came back, whatever that would have been, doesn't change the result.

Nobody is making you look like an asshole?

As for the last post, I apologize. That just might be me misinterpreting your words but it felt a little bit antagonistic but I guess you could say the way for me so... yeah. I understand.

But again, you can't say say "well, Roxas was looking for something, who cares why" while also trying to criticize other logical parts of the story. Again, Roxas is shown to be a lot smarter then people give him credit for. He's not Sora. I don't think he would be stupid enough to go to the one place where he would be killed. And yes, you need to justify that scene happening. As a writer, you can't simply ignore it.

And again, Roxas' motivation could've had multiple options. They went the Xion route. That really isn't a criticism to me unless it was written badly and like I said, if you thought it was written badly, that's fine but, giving the arguments I just listed, her existence is more then justified and just saying her existence is entirely pointless all the way through, up and down, doesn't hold water to me given everything I understand about Roxas as a character. Not my personall interpretation but what he actually does in the narrative by his actions and his thought process. Wanting to find Sora is not enough of a reason to not only fight Riku but to cut him down before asking any questions at all. Grieving over the loss of a best friend makes way more sense and obviously Axel doesn't bite the dust.

Also, and maybe I'm just misremembering things but I don't remember Axel being the only person looking for Xion until the very end when Xenmas forces him too. But other times in the story, Axel wasn't the only one instructed to find her. Xenmas was even pissed at himself that he let her escape at all but again, maybe I'm misremembering.

Also, yeah, the pointless character criticism is something that is very easy to do with a lot of characters, especially in this story and I have given examples, including Apprentice Xehanort. But you to have really good standings on why and all arguments I've seen against Xion hold no water to me on a narrative level. As I said before, you know who people would argue is a pointless character? Ashoka. If she was taken out of the story, Star Wars would've played out exactly the same. But the thing is, when you actually see how everything plays out and what role she plays into Anakin's story, that argument is not as easy to make because the writers justified her existence and her role in the story. And I wouldn't have it any other way because she enhances Anakin's story and gives more weight to why he ended up falling to the dark side.

You can never just say a character is completely pointless if without them or their influence, the story doesn't move forward or make any sense. And again, no matter how much you skim over it, it doesn't make sense for Roxas to act the way he does towards Riku without something else pushing him to the edge. Sora himself isn't enough for him to go searching for a fight with someone he barely knows and if it was, he would be asking questions instead of fighting him. Did Roxas decide to bust out his keyblade and threaten Namine's life over his own confusion? No, because that's not who Roxas is unless something pushed to the breaking point to act erratically. Instead, Roxas was calm and he talked to Namine like a normal person and Namine was more then willing to give him that info because Roxas wasn't acting like a homicidal maniac, even with all the memories of Sora he has at that point.

And maybe this is just my interpretation, it could very well be, but I feel like DiZ is at least smart to understand that memories are incredibly delicate process. I just don't DiZ would think that capturing Roxas at this moment would do anything. And again, it's not criticism of 358/2 days anyway since he takes the same route in KH2. Why didn't DiZ capture him before and why did it take this long if he supposedly already knew where he was? But to be fair, it's never even said why he doesnt in either game, so this is just up to interpretation. So fair enough.

But yeah, I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Honestly, this became less about the theard and more about the plot itself, so I apologize if I derailed it a bit.

Last edited:

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
But again, you can't say say "well, Roxas was looking for something, who cares why" while also trying to criticize other logical parts of the story. Again, Roxas is shown to be a lot smarter then people give him credit for. He's not Sora. I don't think he would be stupid enough to go to the one place where he would be killed. And yes, you need to justify that scene happening. As a writer, you can't simply ignore it.

And again, Roxas' motivation could've had multiple options. They went the Xion route. That really isn't a criticism to me unless it was written badly and like I said, if you thought it was written badly, that's fine but, giving the arguments I just listed, her existence is more then justified and just saying her existence is entirely pointless all the way through, up and down, doesn't hold water to me given everything I understand about Roxas as a character. Not my personall interpretation but what he actually does in the narrative by his actions and his thought process. Wanting to find Sora is not enough of a reason to not only fight Riku but to cut him down before asking any questions at all. Grieving over the loss of a best friend makes way more sense and obviously Axel doesn't bite the dust.

I can, because again -

Not exactly, and not really. There are characters that influence the series in more than one game, especially to the overarching plot. My perception of the question asked by OP relies on what would occur if that character was taken out from their place in the story. If that character would have to be replaced with another character with similar powers in the narrative, or an object to achieve similar things in the narrative, then that character has more place than others within the universe. Roxas' "motivation" to leave and/or return is abstract and personal. It has nothing to do with the plot but the character itself. That motivation has multiple options that doesn't need an object or another character added to pull up the result it did.

To put it another way, let's say one person picks Roxas for this thread. So Roxas doesn't exist. Since Xion's relevancy is tied to him, she automatically doesn't exist with him because there's no other purpose for her. But Roxas can exist without her if he exists, while Xion can't exist without him period.

Now a person can disagree or not like that Xion was chosen by others, but that decision to pick that character has anvil sized amount of reason behind it that is valid.

The fact that Roxas' "motivation" is abstract and personal means exactly that. Xion was used, but that doesn't mean she needed to be used. Because it's abstract and personal. The fact that it could be anything means that anything would have worked to fill whatever blanks you feel personally missing. And keyword here: I said what you feel were personally missing. The series doesn't run on what a person feels about things. So this makes Xion's existence objectively dispensable.

Also, and maybe I'm just misremembering things but I don't remember Axel being the only person looking for Xion until the very end when Xenmas forces him too. But other times in the story, Axel wasn't the only one instructed to find her. Xenmas was even pissed at himself that he let her escape at all but again, maybe I'm misremembering.

Everyone was out doing their job and Axel made it his mission to find Xion. Can't recall any member doing the same. And Xemnas being aware that he's letting a pawn go around free and being angry at it and yet not getting involved himself to end that is...not good.

Also, yeah, the pointless character criticism is something that is very easy to do with a lot of characters, especially in this story and I have given examples, including Apprentice Xehanort. But you to have really good standings on why and all arguments I've seen against Xion hold no water to me on a narrative level. As I said before, you know who people would argue is a pointless character? Ashoka. If she was taken out of the story, Star Wars would've played out exactly the same. But the thing is, when you actually see how everything plays out and what role she plays into Anakin's story, that argument is not as easy to make because the writers justified her existence and her role in the story. And I wouldn't have it any other way because she enhances Anakin's story and gives more weight to why he ended up falling to the dark side.

I'll refrain from using another medium here. We're talking about Kingdom Hearts and the roles within it.

Coming from my previous point above, Xion wasn't necessary. The reason why others are picking Xion is based on the overarching plot and what would change if Xion wasn't there. And nothing changes if Xion wasn't there. Things like it enhances the story, or gives depth, or was used well, all fall under the subjective category, because it is exclusive to what the individual player took from it. That's what you're basing your replies on, it's your personalized viewpoint of what you felt Xion added (I feel she ruined things and made the narrative nonsensical). It's also why Xion and 358/2 Days are divisive. And I'm not saying you're wrong for going with this take. Yet that take doesn't make a character itself vital in the more objective sense. Not trying to change your mind, but at least understand the perspective of why others see Xion as disposable. Which brings me to -

You can never just say a character is completely pointless if without them or their influence, the story doesn't move forward or make any sense. And again, no matter how to skim over it, it doesn't make for Roxas to act the way he does towards Riku without something else pushing him to the edge. Sora himself isn't enough for him to go searching for a fight with someone he barely knows.

Except the story and plot for Roxas did move forward and it achieved so without Xion existing (or 358/2 Days existing). And it did make sense. Nobody was gunning for a Roxas game to comprehend anything. The biggest question that people wondered about was why Axel said "Two?!".

This is why Xion is being chosen for this thread as the character to be erased. Again, no matter what went on within the year Roxas existed or what Roxas found as his inherent "motivation", nothing would change what happened in KHII and what happened to him, and the result would be the same. Xion does not make a difference to this. Roxas existed and proceeded ahead with or without her. This is a fact.

And maybe this is just my interpretation, it could very well be, but I feel like DiZ is at least smart to understand that memories are incredibly delicate process. I just don't DiZ would think that capturing Roxas at this moment would do anything. And again, it's not criticism of 358/2 days anyway since he takes the same route in KH2. Why didn't DiZ capture him before and why did it take this long if he supposedly already knew where he was? But to be fair, it's never even said why he doesnt in either game, so this is just up to interpretation. So fair enough.

But yeah, I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Honestly, this became less about the theard and more about the plot itself, so I apologize if I derailed it a bit.

Everyone in this thread would have to agree to disagree in general, lol. If a user picked Roxas and Larxene, I wouldn't mind, for example.

Last edited:

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I can, because again -

The fact that Roxas' "motivation" is abstract and personal means exactly that. Xion was used, but that doesn't mean she needed to be used. Because it's abstract and personal. The fact that it could be anything means that anything would have worked to fill whatever blanks you feel personally missing. And keyword here: I said what you feel were personally missing. The series doesn't run on what a person feels about things. So this makes Xion's existence objectively dispensable.

Everyone was out doing their job and Axel made it his mission to find Xion. Can't recall any member doing the same. And Xemnas being aware that he's letting a pawn go around free and being angry at it and yet not getting involved himself to end that is...not good.

I'll refrain from using another medium here. We're talking about Kingdom Hearts and the roles within it.

Coming from my previous point above, Xion wasn't necessary. The reason why others are picking Xion is based on the overarching plot and what would change if Xion wasn't there. And nothing changes if Xion wasn't there. Things like it enhances the story, or gives depth, or was used well, all fall under the subjective category, because it is exclusive to what the individual player took from it. That's what you're basing your replies on, it's your personalized viewpoint of what you felt Xion added (I feel she ruined things and made the narrative nonsensical). It's also why Xion and 358/2 Days are divisive. And I'm not saying you're wrong for going with this take. Yet that take doesn't make a character itself vital in the more objective sense. Not trying to change your mind, but at least understand the perspective of why others see Xion as disposable. Which brings me to -

Except the story and plot for Roxas did move forward and it achieved so without Xion existing (or 358/2 Days existing). And it did make sense. Nobody was gunning for a Roxas game to comprehend anything. The biggest question that people wondered about was why Axel said "Two?!".

This is why Xion is being chosen for this thread as the character to be erased. Again, no matter what went on within the year Roxas existed or what Roxas found as his inherent "motivation", nothing would change what happened in KHII and what happened to him, and the result would be the same. Xion does not make a difference to this. Roxas existed and proceeded ahead with or without her. This is a fact.

Everyone in this thread would have to agree to disagree in general, lol. If a user picked Roxas and Larxene, I wouldn't mind, for example.

Lol true. This whole thing is one big "agree to disagree".

But ...*sigh* okay... l guess, maybe it's just I'm either not understanding or just have a different perspective, is that just because a character existed beforehand with limited knowledge of his past means just because a character that help with his emotional development that were added after the fact means that they are pointless, which therefore means the narrative can exist without it despite that limited knowledge but... I'm sorry, that's not really criticism to me. I mean, isolated in this thread, sure but like, an actual criticism of the story... I honestly just dont get it because it's not enough to be to strike a mark on this story as "pointless"

A lot characters don't need to be in the story or others characters backstories and, again, you can make that justification for a lot of characters. I gave an example of one if really want one from KH with Apprentice Xehanort. Take him out and the story would've move on but that's not a criticism to me just because they decided to add more to the story. That by itself doesn't simply make it bad unless its told badly and I don't think it was. And besides, it's a criticism that's not hard to make, which is why a lot of people make that criticisms all the time for characters they simply don't like (*cough*TheLastofUsPart2*cough*), so in that sense, it requires a lot more for then just a couple of nitpicks and that's really al they are to me. Maybe for you it isn't because you value certain characters and actions over others for whatever reasons you have but just because Xion is isolated in one game means it's all pointless doesn't work for me... I'm sorry. I understand what you mean but it honestly doesn't hold water to me if the story is told well, enough to where you can easily forgive parts of the story. To not like it is fine but to say its actual criticism of the story for just existing is where I find the problem and I think that's where I differ from other people. I feel like its valuing the "why" over the "how" when the latter, to me, is more important narratively. I mean sure, Noruma could've had completely shallow reasons for adding this character but as long as that character is justified in the narrative, that's fine. But I guess that just comes down to different perspectives at this point.

I'm not saying I don't understand where you and a lot of people are coming but honestly, I just can't see it but I won't say it invalid to feel that way. I understand if you do feel this way and I'm not saying its wrong but it all just comes from my lack of understanding of why it even matters if the story works fine with her inclusion, if not better to me. At that point, its differences of opinion but it doesn't feel we are arguing about that, its feel like arguing about whether adding her at all regardless of 358/2's narrative, which isn't a criticism unless you are actually criticizing her role in the story, which I think it pretty justified, even if certain elements could be more fleshed out but that's really on Noruma but I don't think it's enough to disregard this narrative as pointless. And really, that's all I can say at this is point is that it's a clashing of different perspectives.

And also from the fact that, honestly, I can't see Roxas' actions toward Riku in TWTNW justified at all unless there is more of a reason for it because Roxas, compared to how he usually is, is acting very out of character and there would have be a reason for it in my mind other then just Sora. That part of my brain I can't just justify on a simple writing level, not because of personal feelings. It doesn't make sense rhat Roxas is acting this way when we've shown that he can be pretty level-headed, even in his most stressful moments if he's dealing with a person that doesnt warrant his hostility. You can see it in how he acts toward Namine as opposed to DiZ. Riku at that point has done nothing other then maybe fight him one other time, a fight which he apparently lost at a point in time when Roxas apart of The Organization. Which I guess is fine but that doesn't explain why Roxas is there in the first place, given all the limited information we know about the consequences of him coming back and also considering he has no reason to be there, even if he was looking for Sora. It could be Xion or could've been some else. Sure. But that's not a criticism of the story, just a vague hypothetical in my opinion. If that scene wasn't there, your argument would have more weight to me but KH2 lack of explaination of that scene and alot of gaps in Roxas' backstory more then warrants an explaination. Again, you don't have to like the explaination but to say it adds nothing or it would've been the same if it was something else, I just don't agree or I just don't see it as something that really matters or is a criticism by itself. And maybe that's just me misinterpreting the criticisms but that's how it usually comes across but again, they could just be my own flaw of not seeing the other side, so I can admit that too as something I could need to work on when it comes to critical discourse.

And I honestly don't think Roxas' story moves forward at all without that explanation. Yeah, sure, we saw Roxas' story move forward before 358/2 Days existed but there are a lot of gaps in between that aren't explained very well, which a lot of it comes my problems with KH2 as a whole. I would very much like that story to be told and that story happen to revolve around Xion. That in and of itself doesn't make it pointless to me. You can say its definite fact because we were never told that part of the story and a bunch of young gamers were okay with (because lets be honest, a lot of things about KH back then we kind of accepted back then without asking too many questions. I mean, I cant say the same fie everyone but I mean, I thought KH2 had the best story for YEARS 🤣 and knew many who felt that way) that means that on a writing level its fine, when that really doesn't work for me personally. Noruma left out parts of the story he hadn't figure out yet and seeing as how the Riku vs Roxas scene doesn't make sense either way to me, I think going more into his backstory is warranted. I'm honestly not talking about other people and how they felt when KH2 came out. Thats irrelevant to me. I'm talking the story objectively from how I saw it and all that warranted explanation and a little in-depth that KH2 didn't bother too. Just because people accept how it was back then or even now doesn't make it okay or good. Nomura should never strive for just good enough. I don't think any writer should.

But look... I do understand where you are coming. I'm not saying finding a character pointless is bad criticism but just one that requires a lot more for me to accept it and I think that's just were we are going to have to differ. Either way, I guess that all I have to say on the matter. I don't think my opinion is really going to change on this.

Last edited:

Cumguardian69

Awards
Ehm...if we look at the scene again

We see that Riku is in the way of Roxas storming CTNW. Why was he stopping him? Because Riku needed Roxas for Sora. Roxas wasn't willing to /kill/ Riku, but merely wanted him out of the way. That's entirely in character for what we've seen in KH2. KH2 intro also shows Roxas as being the more negative (pensive/hatred/anger/sadness) side of Sora. None of what Xion brought to the table was 130% necessary for KH2 or 3 to play out like they did. Gonna reply to this again after i get off work.

Chie

Awards
Whether something is "necessary" or not isn't really great criticism or interesting, since nothing in any story is necessary because it's all stuff the writers just made up, which is why it's a story. But I can't stop people from having a long conversation about it I guess.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
In terms of KH3 I'd also erase Dilan and Aeleus. If they aren't going to speak or do anything significant I'm not even sure why Nomura put them there

Just say they resumed their guard duties offscreen

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
Ehm...if we look at the scene again

We see that Riku is in the way of Roxas storming CTNW. Why was he stopping him? Because Riku needed Roxas for Sora. Roxas wasn't willing to /kill/ Riku, but merely wanted him out of the way. That's entirely in character for what we've seen in KH2. KH2 intro also shows Roxas as being the more negative (pensive/hatred/anger/sadness) side of Sora. None of what Xion brought to the table was 130% necessary for KH2 or 3 to play out like they did. Gonna reply to this again after i get off work.

But WHY is he storming the castle? To find Sora? To get info out of The Organization, even though the lack of info was one of the reasons he left, so why would he go back? Again, that doesn't make sense and is kind of an uninteresting turn of events for him to leave calmly and then come back all angry and pissed off. That's not how you write a story. It makes Roxas look like an angry idiot but he's really not though. You understand why he's angry and pessimistic but he's not stupid enough to strom the castle unless he was pushed too. Finding Sora or having Sora memories isn't enough to make me think he would rationalize his actions like this; if it was, he should've did this long before he left. Grief motivating his irrational actions makes more sense to me.

Also, I watched the whole clip and Roxas was very intent on killing Riku lol also considering that Riku doesnt have a weapon anymore and Roxas continues to attack him.

As far as Riku is concerned, his actions are completely justified. You understand why he's doing what he's doing. Riku was never the problem with this scene honestly.

Last edited:

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Whether something is "necessary" or not isn't really great criticism or interesting, since nothing in any story is necessary because it's all stuff the writers just made up, which is why it's a story. But I can't stop people from having a long conversation about it I guess.

Basically.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com

Yeah, that's my bad. I really didn't mean to derail the thread this much but I guess that's what happens when you discuss Xion 😂

Eonstar890

Awards
I think Mickey was tracking Ansem the Wise at the start of KH2, but his actions are still weird on how he thinks the Org are always listening on him. I always make it a joke headcanon that he's trying to buy Spidey back from Sony at the start of KH2 and the Organization work for Sony trying to prevent the transaction from happening, always makes more sense then whatever he was really doing. Anyway I love your Yen Sid echo chamber line XD

The number of “character x talks to yen sid in the mysterious tower” scenes went up EXPONENTIALLY after BBS. Also I love that head canon and I will definitely take into account next time I play through KH2

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Okay, again, ignoring the obvious answer, this time if I had to pick ONE, I guess it'd be Julius. Why out of ever single possible character that can be a secret boss, did they have to go with a minor villain from an easily forgotten short film in 1995?

D

Deleted member 252753

Okay, again, ignoring the obvious answer, this time if I had to pick ONE, I guess it'd be Julius. Why out of ever single possible character that can be a secret boss, did they have to go with a minor villain from an easily forgotten short film in 1995?
I personally thought it was cool that they made use of a more obscure Disney character as an optional boss fight and I wouldn't mind more like that in future games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grey Skies

Awards
There are characters that I liked at first before they became tiresome, like Axel and the 50,000 Xehanorts, but the only character I think has done nothing but bad for the series is young Xehanort for the introduction of time travel. I would hope if I erased YX from the series, the time travel shenanigans would be erased too, along with the Xehanort population exploding. It would have been fine if YX only appeared in flashbacks, but Nomura knows no restraint.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
Vexen. He's creepy. And without him, there's no replicas - and look how many characters can't exist or be revived then :D :D :D What a happy and chill fanbase we'd have. I'd only feel sorry for Namine, and maybe Roxas a little (but no Roxas outside of Sora would make Lea's post-Nobody life quite interesting). Definitely not sorry that Riku Replica would be spared his miserable existence. With the added bonus that I wouldn't have to see that creepy hair and face again, I'm curious about what a Vexen-free AU would entail.

PS: I love Xion. This is not a Xion hate-post in disguise. Leave me out of it XD

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I personally thought it was cool that they made use of a more obscure Disney character as an optional boss fight and I wouldn't mind more like that in future games.
I’ve never thought of it that way. I’ll take your point then. I wouldn’t mind that lava thing from Fantasia 2000 making an appearance.

Vexen. He's creepy. And without him, there's no replicas - and look how many characters can't exist or be revived then :D :D :D What a happy and chill fanbase we'd have. I'd only feel sorry for Namine, and maybe Roxas a little (but no Roxas outside of Sora would make Lea's post-Nobody life quite interesting). Definitely not sorry that Riku Replica would be spared his miserable existence. With the added bonus that I wouldn't have to see that creepy hair and face again, I'm curious about what a Vexen-free AU would entail.

Oh yeah, he’s definitely creepy.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
I’ve never thought of it that way. I’ll take your point then. I wouldn’t mind that lava thing from Fantasia 2000 making an appearance.

Fingers crossed, we'll get it someday.

the red monster

Awards
As much as i hate to say it, it's probably demyx.
he's a super fun character, but never done anything useful. he's just there most of the time.
unless he turns out to be MoM, his existence in the games were pretty irrelevant.

2 quid is good

Awards
Dammit I really missed a chance to make a "It's beginning to look a lot like 2009" joke earlier in the thread.

On topic though I struggled a little bit with the question. Yes it's incredibly easy to say Xion or Yozora but I'm not inclined towards that.

Personally I think I would erase the book of prophecies from the series. Maybe at least then we could have had a more cut and dry Keyblade war story. And don't start with me on whether it's a character or not, if it gets more screentime than Lexaues, it's a character.

PS: I love Xion. This is not a Xion hate-post in disguise. Leave me out of it XD

Just because KH3 opted to use Replicas as it's Dragon balls, doesn't mean there weren't other options available to bring people back.

Back