• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

in your opinion, what are the best and worst things about the original kingdom hearts?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Best: The unique way the Disney worlds were incorporated into the story.
Worst: Gummi ships or Monstro, not sure which is the worst.

FacetiousDreamer

Best thing in the game itself:
If one thing only, then it’ll probably be boss fights. Some of them are VERY imaginative. New step forward for both RPG and action genres. I wish I played this game back then, not years after.

Best thing overall:
It’ll be boldness of the creators. You can see a desire to create a game like no other game in each and every aspect of KH.

Worst:
Enemy types were very repetitive at the end.

worst: the Atlantica world swimming controls.
They should have used DualShock3’s Sixaxis in KH1.5 remix for the Atlantica. Joystick up — Sora’s ascending, joystick down —Sora’s descending.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Best: Simple story, gameplay, combat, Gravity spell, Donald's healing, Goofy's MP giving, Hollow Bastion bosses, the Disney worlds, flying, Tech Points, SDG.

Worst: Monstro, struggling through Hollow Bastion, Gummi Ship missions, (I personally think the KHII Gummi Ship missions are worse.) Donald always dying, Goofy overusing Potions, like you said..... The Atlantica swimming controls.

KH1 is still the best in the series (That or BBS)

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Best: Story. I mean, this actually felt somewhat dark and mysterious.
Worst: Sora moving as smoothly as a gigantic rock. Gummiship-segments weren't too much fun either.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Best: The quote-on-quote "heart" to the story 'ducks from flying tomatoes'

Worst: Oof, I guess the Gummi Ship Missions? Even then, I liked the gummi ship in that game, so i can't really say anything I dislike about it. I guess it would be the vines from Deep Jungle, those things needed to get fucking lost

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Oh! The other thing that bothered me the most was how expressionless the characters would often be during cutscenes. You'd have scenes where they'd have jarring switches between animated faces and the model mouth-flapping seemingly at random, and then there would be those emotional/dramatic scenes where the nonchalant blank face looked waaay out of place.

The one I remember the most was the time when Sora got abandoned by Donald and Goofy after Riku took the Keyblade. It's clear that this whole event left him distraught, but the whole time, he's just got this ._. face on. It was very distracting, and I'm glad all the later games' cutscenes have mostly rectified this.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Best:

- Exploration, including lots of hidden rooms, nooks and crannies, not to mention lots of treasure chests and other little things (like the flowers and rabbit hole treasures in Wonderland, the candles in TT and the fires outside OC, the treasures on the Clocktower, trinities and dalmatians, etc.)
- Difficulty. Even the minor Heartless pose a challenge. The Disney bosses aren't complete jokes next to the original bosses.
- The storyline is incorporated throughout the worlds in minor or major ways. Finding gummi's at Wonderland and Deep Jungle, Riku's involvement with Monstro and Neverland, learning about the Keyblade at Atlantica, etc.
- Disney and FF characters have integral parts in the story.
- The music, graphics, and voice acting.
- The tournaments at Olympus Coliseum, particularly Hades Cup.
- Magic system/spells.
- Dodge Roll, MP Gift, and tech points.

Worst:

- The gummi ship absolutely sucks (and still does, as of further games, imo).
- The mini-games are few and they're mostly clunky. Although I'm not really a fan of mini-games anyway...
- Fish face.
- A lot of characters without voice actors, although that's bearable.
- Summons that are useless outside of Tinker Bell.
- Alice being a Princess of Heart instead of Ariel.
- Party members not knowing how to use items, magic, and abilities coherently.
- Jafar's boss battles. He had the most potential of the Disney villains, actually, and yet his fights are the weakest/least interesting.

Last edited:

FEZeldalord12345

Best: Synthesizing.(Final Mix, haven't played original KH1) The vast majority of the items you need to synthesize are really easy to obtain once you know how to get them. The unique Heartless also provide really challenging and fun ways to get the items needed. I believe KH1 has the best farming out of any game I have ever played. It's the only game where I actually enjoy farming for the journey instead of the end result.

Worst: Atlantica. Hands-down my least favorite world. The swimming controls aren't that great, and the backtracking is incredibly tedious. There's no unique monster. Instead they just throw in the Pink Agaricus from Deep Jungle, except you can't use Ragnarok underwater, which is almost required to get it's item. I also really don't like Ursula(Cauldron) because I could never figure out how exactly it works until my most recent playthrough, and even then the fight's tedious. Giant Ursula was also annoying, but now that I know just how great Stop is, she's less annoying. What really makes me bitter towards Atlantica is that for my high school's Disney Day, I held a poll for what worlds to play through during my 3 free periods. And as luck may have had it, I had to play through Atlantica 3 times in a row. That really hurt.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Best: Exploration, Trinities and the originality of the Disney worlds. Oh yeah, and Cure magic not eating up an entire MP Bar.

Worst: The inability to switch party members on the fly, especially when coming across Trinities.

Anagram

Banned
Best:

Story.
It took the Final Fantasy cameos, the disney worlds and characters and the original aspects and weaved it all into one bigger story. And unlike other titles everything played at least some small part into the bigger picture. Disney mattered back then and even the FF cameos were given importance through Leons group.
Sora also grew as a person subtly from most worlds. Tarzan taught him that "friends are in our hearts", Hercules taught him being a hero is more than just brute strength but strength of ones heart and character, etc. He literally grew from his experience.
At the start Sora didn't give two sh*ts about much other than his new exciting situation and finding Riku & Kairi but by the end his relationship of necessity with Donald & Goofy became friendship of just as strong ties to Riku & Kairi. Despite the dick move if ditching Sora they later also went to his defense even if it meant ignoring their kings order to "follow the key".
Sora also took the traditional hero trope of learning there was a bigger threat at large that only he was capable of stopping and did so. Even knowing it would separate the worlds and his friends.

Characters.
I think I done covered Sora, Donald and Goofy well but it also did well with the other characters. The roles was slight but Final Fantasy characters mattered. I didn't even know they was cameos back then but loved them all the same. They was just as much as part of the story to me.
Disney characters and their worlds as a whole was given original takes. They borrowed from the movies, sometimes heavily, but it turned it into a original take to accommodate Sora's presence and the original lore. Later titles just threw that out for stitching Sora into the movie plot.

Story:
It was a simpler, more magical and loveable tale than the rest and I enjoyed that. You had this magic key weapon. It looked ridiculous but it was powerful. With legends of it's past wielders being both saviors and destroyers of worlds. Unlike most I figured more than one existed then but what mattered is that most was gone now leaving only Sora who just got one somehow which was a fun mystery in of itself. Mickey was actually a surprise wielder but I didn't mind it and I honestly had been looking for him the entire game. lol

Like I said above the story was all around just better written, simpler and more original weaving all the things you wouldn't think would work together into an original tale of it's own.

Villains:
Ansem was hinted at all along and Disney villains actually felt like a true threat. Enough said.

Collecting and world interaction:
Like I've said in other threads this was the only game I consider to be interactive in this series. Every little thing could be explored. Some areas could only found by affecting previous ones. There was some slight puzzling and even magic had an affect on your surrounding such as Hollow Bastion chests, the Traverse Town powerline and Merlins door.
You just felt immersed in this compact world and we all know each of us explored every inch of most worlds just to see what we could find back then.

You also had things to collect like Puppies, chests and trinities which gave me even more reason to go back after completing the world to find them. (since I wasn't going to drop my world exclusive disney party member to do it during the story run of the world haha)

Difficulty:
On normal it was fun but not to hard. On hard it was hard as hell the first few times and probably hard still for many. Secret bosses were a challenge but felt like an accomplishment to beat. Back in the days when you fought such things for fun rather than digital trophies.

Magic & Tech Points.
As a whole it was done in a way that was far more incentive to experiment with. You didn't need magic but you could explore it and learn that magic has unique or "super effective" effects on certain heartless. Fire beats ice, ice beats fire, heavy or big heartless lose tons of health to gravity spells, stop makes invisible's or other later game heartless far less annoying, etc.

Tech points rewarded you for your time as well. Guarding and bouncing attacks back while exploiting a weakness to certain magic gave you extra experience points which helped leveling. I really miss this level of thought and detail in magic and I miss Tech Points greatly.

===================

Worst parts:

The gummi ships.
They were truly an annoying part but one that became tolerable as you got bigger engines that let the gummi speed through a course and warps to let you go straight to a world you already visited.
To be honest I find KH1's gummi ships to be far more a tolerable experience than KH2s. I hated KH2's gummi routes, they are a diddlying scourge of mandatory unfun gameplay.

Camera.
Sadly the camera was indeed a problem. One of the few things KH2 did better than 1.

Atlantica. KH2's atlantica sucked worse but this one wasn't much better.
Monstro was a pain too until I learned you can get out so long as you just keep walking through the green tinted doors. lol

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Best: The story and the level design. While some people don't like some of the world's, I love how non-linear it feels in comparison to some of the other games. And the overarching story was good, making excellent use of the Disney worlds as Sora travelled about. The Final Fantasy characters also felt like they held significance, which happens too little in this series.

Worst: GUMMI SHIP ROUTES/MISSIONS. FUCK MY LIFE.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
- Summons that are useless outside of Tinker Bell.

Say that again while doing a Lvl 1 Run. :D
Seriously though, Tinker Bell was by far the most useful of the summons, agreed.

Worst: GUMMI SHIP ROUTES/MISSIONS. diddly MY LIFE.

Brrr, now that you mention it...I was stupid enough to forget collecting all dalmatians rewards me with the blueprints...So I did every single damn Gummi mission to get that trophy in 1.5. Just thinking about that flight from Hollow Bastion to Traverse Town on mission 3...kill me.

Rage-Roxas

Awards
Best: I like how Disney aspects are actually important, simple plot, larger maps and how there are actually something to explore. And you actually have to use your brains while navigating, I like how the worlds are more interactive. And in Kingdom Hearts there is that kind of... mysterious feeling. (kh1 is the only kh game with pegi's fear label) Like in Hollow Bastion. Hollow Bastion is one of the best things in KH1... Hollow Bastion is awesome. Best world in the entire game.

Worst: Bad camera. And Monstro. I almost couldn't beat the game because of that, not because it was hard or confusing, but I used to be so scared of it... :I When I was younger, I used to be really scared of these "being inside someone"-things.

Last edited:

namine_ftw

Best:
The Stoy. The plot of KH1 had this fairy tale-esque quality to it that really made it feel like I was playing a "Disney RPG." The story felt magical and epic. It was simple and straightforward, yet engaging, heartfelt, and touching. The keyblade was this, cool, mysterious, and magical weapon, and I thought the whole idea behind it was great. Ansem was a great villain, and I liked SRK and wanted them to reunite. The ending was absolutely fantastic.

The Incorporation of Disney Characters. Unlike later installments in the series, this is the game where it felt like Disney mattered the most. You fight against Maleficent's Villain Council for most of the game, and the Princesses of Heart played a key role in the narrative. The worlds were incorporated well and meshed well with the original plot. It didn't feel like we were just watching watered down versions of the movies, because the Heartless and the overarching narrative created its own spin on things. Mickey being a keyblade wielder at the end and closing the door with Sora was just perfect.

The friendship between Sora, Donald and Goofy. These three are my favorite trio in the entire series. I loved watching the relationship between them develop over time, and I loved how the trinity marks correspond with them growing together as a team. They argue and disagree with one another sometimes, but they always make up and grow closer as a result.

Worst:
The camera. I shouldn't have to elaborate on this point.

The Gummi Ship segments. I wish I could just put the thing on autopilot, or have Donald take the wheel or something, lol.

And I don't know if this is really "the worst," but it's something minor that bothered me when I played it: I felt like Donald and Goofy were waaay too quick to use potions. I know it's a bit nitpicky, but it was irritating.

HugoDipper

Best: The amazing creative effort of Disney and Square-Enix that made this game magical in it's presentation, story, music, characters and gameplay.

It's one of my favorite games ever, the story of Sora, Donald and Goofy as they travel trought various worlds is beautiful and full of wonder in every step you take. It's one of the few games besides Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Super Mario and Sonic that gives you a sense of adventure and magic.

I love to travel and I think one of the best parts about travelling is that you get in contact with new cultures, people and a brand new way of life and that's one of the reasons I like the KH franchise because as they travel trought worlds and worlds they broaden their knowledge of the universe and even of themselves.

Worst: The Gummi Ship segments that are not bad but are not impressive like the rest of the game.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Best: The game's unique, fresh idea, and incorporation of Disney worlds. The game's combat wasn't too complex, but it was still rather fun

Worst: The platforming, the camera, and Atlantica. KHII's Atlantica was bad, but this was so much worse in my opinion. Oh, and the gummi ship was pretty atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back