• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Internet Connection Thing

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
The thing about it is, the ISP in my country sucks. Squeeze too many packets through a system and you'll lose more and more as the system gets more and more busy at night.

Sometimes, I want to download a file overnight, considering that in the day it doesn't download fast anyway. The problem is, I use wireless (considering I have about a minimum of 3 computers sharing the internet in the day), and at night when I am downloading files, sometimes the packet loss creates a 'spike': Windows detects it as the system has limited connectivity, then never tries to connect back on even after the spike ends. Which results in my downloads being cut halfway through the night.

So the question is, how do I program my PC to automatically reconnect as it reaches limited connection? I never had a problem with my family's old Windows XP computer, it always ran fine at night, but not this Windows 7 crap which is killing me. With Windows Vista I faced this problem too.

Ikazuchi

Are you downloading through a browser or a torrent?
Torrents seem to work better for me, but take longer.
You could also setup an online downloading spot. My brother used this site TorrentFlux - PHP BitTorrent Client. Its basically uTorrent for the web. It'll download the files for you onto a webpage, so you can even turn your computer off at night. Once its done you can download it off the site through your browser.

I don't know if this helped or anything.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
You could also setup an online downloading spot. My brother used this site TorrentFlux - PHP BitTorrent Client. Its basically uTorrent for the web. It'll download the files for you onto a webpage, so you can even turn your computer off at night. Once its done you can download it off the site through your browser.

thats neat i gonna try that.... :cool:

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood

The problem is, I still have to download it onto my computer from the webpage, I would guess. Which means I'll end up leaving it overnight to do so. Which also means the spike will cut my download anyway.

It was enough of a miracle that I managed to completely download C&C4 beta last night without the whole thing dying before it finished.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net
So are you saying it cuts off at night when everyone is asleep?

Or is there somebody awake at night?

Where is this computer located?

krexia

Translator
Awards
Is your network secured? Windows 7 never automatically connects to an open network. (Windows 7 Wireless Network Doesn't Auto Connect - Windows 7 Wireless Network Doesn't Auto Connect... | Exodus Technologies | Ne)

I found some forums where people with secure networks fixed similar issues in Vista by switching from WPA to WEP, telling their router to broadcast its SSID, or disabling IPv6, so it might be worth trying those...

Otherwise, would it be possible to run a cable to the computer you leave downloading overnight? Or if you have a laptop, to move that close enough to physically connect it to the router, and use that for downloads?

Ikazuchi

The problem is, I still have to download it onto my computer from the webpage, I would guess. Which means I'll end up leaving it overnight to do so. Which also means the spike will cut my download anyway.

It was enough of a miracle that I managed to completely download C&C4 beta last night without the whole thing dying before it finished.

Well, I mean, in my experiences downloading through my browser goes faster, and is more consistent. This way, you could leave it on during the day (when I'm assuming it doesn't crash?).

But still, it all depends on what you're most accustomed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back