• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is any religion truly ignorant?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueman

Seriously. Every religion have some form of god that created everyone and everything, right? And people always ask (athiests) where does your god come from? And, usually, our reply is 'We dunno'. Then, we (people who believe in a higher power) are usually called 'ignorant' for believing in something we can't prove or where it came from.

But can't the same be said of the Big Bang theory? Where did those fragments that created life on Earth come from?

Is any religion truly ignorant? Or is all religion ignorant? (Including athiesm or any other form of belief that doesn't involve a higher power)

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
All religion is ignorant.
Deal with it.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
People are ignorant (we don't know everything), so there will always be ignorance within any group of any kind.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
So even athiesm is ignorant, then? Any belief is ignorant?

Atheism isn't a belief or a religion. It's a lack of belief. The more extreme atheists will go so far as to believe that there is no God of any kind, but to be atheist means to lack belief.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Seriously. Every religion have some form of god that created everyone and everything, right? And people always ask (athiests) where does your god come from? And, usually, our reply is 'We dunno'. Then, we (people who believe in a higher power) are usually called 'ignorant' for believing in something we can't prove or where it came from.

According to Socrates, "I don't know" it's the first step towards learning.

But can't the same be said of the Big Bang theory? Where did those fragments that created life on Earth come from?

You're kind of wandering. What fragments? And what does the Big Bang have to do with abiogenesis?

Is any religion truly ignorant? Or is all religion ignorant? (Including athiesm or any other form of belief that doesn't involve a higher power)

Again, you misunderstand what the word religion means.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Atheism isn't a belief or a religion. It's a lack of belief. The more extreme atheists will go so far as to believe that there is no God of any kind, but to be atheist means to lack belief.

Not really. Atheism is the belief that there is no God, and they are pretty steadfast about it.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
"Atheism" is a belief in the same way that "transparent" is a color.

Not really. Atheism is the belief that there is no God, and they are pretty steadfast about it.

"They"? There isn't an Atheist Church; atheists are individuals that have their own personal conceptions on the Universe. I'm an atheist, I believe there's no God, but I admit I can't know that for sure.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
"Atheism" is a belief in the same way that "transparent" is a color.

Technically, black fits better. Black is known as the "absense of light" (because no light is reflected to our eyes). Yet, we still call it a color.

And I still don't know what other category you would put "clear" under anyway.

"They" refers to atheists. They may not think exactly the same, but they still believe there is no God.

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Technically, black fits better. Black is known as the "absense of light" (because no light is reflected to our eyes). Yet, we still call it a color.

Because black is color. It's the lack of light, but we can see it (in relation to other colors), so we define it as a color. So it's not a very good example to use. Transparent, however, we can't see; it's the lack of something.

And I still don't know what other category you would put "clear" under anyway.

It's defined as lack of a color, and not a color itself. Atheism is defined by lack of belief, and not a belief in itself.

"They" refers to atheists. They may not think exactly the same, but they still believe there is no God.

Yes, but you said they were pretty "steadfast" about it. Some might be, sure, but aren't you generalizing?

A

Azrael

Religion isn't ignorant most of the time, people who abuse it can make it seem it's ignorant.

Everyone is ignorant, even Athiests.

Random Queen

Queen of Crazy World
Crazy World. Population: Who gives a fuk?
Religion isn't ignorant most of the time, people who abuse it can make it seem it's ignorant.

Everyone is ignorant, even Athiests.

Agreed.

It annoys me worse when people go against what their religion says not to do.

For example: If your Christian and you disobey your parents. I believe one of the 10 commandments that says to obey your parents.

Angel

number one fan of teresa giudice
Agreed.

It annoys me worse when people go against what their religion says not to do.

For example: If your Christian and you disobey your parents. I believe one of the 10 commandments that says to obey your parents.

Yeah, but it's human nature to at least feel some rebellion as a child.

Ah, good ole church, if you weren't suppressing human nature and emotions I'd love you.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
Ignorant of what? Where we all came from? Because the discussion is really straying. [I blame you, D_F :p]

Isn't it obvious that no one knows? We all just have our little theories and beliefs or lack thereof.

So um...your OP is kind of leaning towards ad hominem and the classic religious debate with this "you can't prove it" -> "well neither can you" template.
Pointless much? Or did you just want to hear everyone say "hokay ya got me, i has no idea wtf this master plan/creation of the universe/blah blah blah came from"?

Yeah, but it's human nature to at least feel some rebellion as a child.

Ah, good ole church, if you weren't suppressing human nature and emotions I'd love you.

I'll make a huge radical assumption here and say according to the church, love is the only necessary emotion. Because well, from my point of view, if we were created in God's image and God has unconditional love for everyone, things like rebellion are straying from our natural purpose; to love others as yourself.

There is no black and white definition of "human nature", that controversy's been going on for a loooooooooooooooooooong time, so I wouldn't post like you know everything about humans, as if you aren't just another one yourself. :/

All religion is ignorant.
Deal with it.

Are you going to give reasons or what? This is a subsection of Intel, isn't it...?

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Because black is color. It's the lack of light, but we can see it (in relation to other colors), so we define it as a color. So it's not a very good example to use. Transparent, however, we can't see; it's the lack of something.

Alright, I get your point.

It's defined as lack of a color, and not a color itself. Atheism is defined by lack of belief, and not a belief in itself.

But it is still related to color, just "reworded". For example, you could say that Christianity is the lack of belief that there is not a god.

Yes, but you said they were pretty "steadfast" about it. Some might be, sure, but aren't you generalizing?

I suppose, but it's not like atheists take the possibility of God into account when they make decisions. They act with the presumption that God does not exist. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I'd call that it rather steadfast belief.

I'll make a huge radical assumption here and say according to the church, love is the only necessary emotion. Because well, from my point of view, if we were created in God's image and God has unconditional love for everyone, things like rebellion are straying from our natural purpose; to love others as yourself.

Which church are you talking about, because love isn't really an emotion by Christian standards.

There is no black and white definition of "human nature", that controversy's been going on for a loooooooooooooooooooong time, so I wouldn't post like you know everything about humans, as if you aren't just another one yourself. :/

Again, what church are you talking about? "Human nature" is the predisposition of humans to act a certain way. The bent of said nature is spelled out pretty clearly in Christianity.

Last edited:

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
But it is still related to color, just "reworded". For example, you could say that Christianity is the lack of belief that there is not a god.

You could say that about anything (color is the lack of the lack of color), but you'd just be arguing semantics. I just wanted to illustrate the difference between belief and lack of belief.

I suppose, but it's not like atheists take the possibility of God into account when they make decisions. They act with the presumption that God does not exist. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I'd call that it rather steadfast belief.

All humans do that in everyday life. When your car gets broken down, do you think demons possessed it, or do you think it was some mechanical failure?

And how is that steadfast? I make my decisions based on what I believe, but I'm not nearly arrogant enough to say I know he doesn't exist. Are you humble enough to admit you don't know for sure whether God exists or not?

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
Which church are you talking about, because love isn't really an emotion by Christian standards.

Erm, acceptance? Tolerance? Maybe I worded that wrong. @_@
I was saying what I personally thought, hence "I'm making a huge radical assumption here"

Maybe this'll work better; yes, Adam and Eve showed that humans are inclined to give into sin, that God wanted them to repent shows that we should strive to be more like him, in his image, with the emotions and nature he wants us to choose. That's why there's forgiveness, not supression...wait. you know, i'm starting to doubt this now. ._.

Again, what church are you talking about? "Human nature" is the predisposition of humans to act a certain way. The bent of said nature is spelled out pretty clearly in Christianity.

True, but for that part it doesn't have to do with any churches that a definition of human nature varies among people, and Angelus wasn't taking that into account.

Last edited:

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
You could say that about anything (color is the lack of the lack of color), but you'd just be arguing semantics. I just wanted to illustrate the difference between belief and lack of belief.

There is a difference between believing something and not believing something, but is that really enough to reject from the category it's related to? Regardless of whether you believe in God or not, you are making a statement about him, which is key to religion. It's either "there is one god", "there are many gods", "we are god", or "there is no god".

All humans do that in everyday life. When your car gets broken down, do you think demons possessed it, or do you think it was some mechanical failure?

Humans do make decisions based on presuppositions, that's pretty much my point. When I read what you posted, it sounded like you were saying that a lack of belief in God is somehow unimportant to a person's overall thought process (compared to someone who does believe in God). It's like you are trying to separate Atheism from religion by calling that belief inconsequential.

And how is that steadfast? I make my decisions based on what I believe, but I'm not nearly arrogant enough to say I know he doesn't exist. Are you humble enough to admit you don't know for sure whether God exists or not?

Do I know for sure? Of course not. How could I? I merely find it probable, and I too am steadfast in what I think. Perhaps I gave a negative connotation to the word by mistake. Being steadfast is a good thing. It shows that you are convicted in what you believe, which was the point that I was trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back