• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Days Really a Bad Game?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Is Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days a bad game in terms of General games?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovafaze

idyllic dream
Awards
It was the second best KH game imo, right next to kh1. I liked the dialogue between the character throughout the story, the clock tower scenes really captured how slow and boring a day can really be, it was a good little game. *ducks and takes cover*
if anything, recoded was the worst story-wise, didn't need a whole game for it,though the gameplay was fun. I had no interest in the story.

^ALL MY OPINION^
back off lol

Auron0521

Website
rekisblade.webs.com
I absolutely loved Days. It is my second favorite KH game, and is home to one of my favorite characters: Xion.

The story is primarily about Roxas' time in the Organization, leading up to his betrayal and culminating in his fight with Riku. Certain aspects of this game could have been done better; personally, I'd have liked more voiced scenes, especially in the first half, and a mission for every day. The game spans 359 days, 358 of these were before or during the fight with Riku. Roxas spent about two-three weeks sleeping during the Castle Oblivion/Chain of Memories story timeframe. There are only 93 missions in the game, when there were over 300 days where they could have had missions, even if just side missions. I feel that this was an extreme cutback on capabilities, and was implemented purely to keep the story going. This is, however, the only thing I did not like about Days.

Overall, they used most of the Organization members effectively. Those that went to Castle Oblivion didn't get much screen time, but then, they weren't supposed to. The members who survived were built upon at least slightly, though certain characters (specifically, Demyx and Luxord) were still not expanded upon greatly. The ones who were, however, were built upon well. Xigbar gets significant screen time, befitting his status as Number II in the Organization. We see him making witty comments, picking on Roxas, and even going through great lengths just to fight Roxas in the Games. We see Xaldin spying on the Beast, and seeming almost hateful of his and Belle's relationship. We learn of Saix and Axel's plans of betrayal, and their falling out over Xion.

We also meet Xion, the mysterious fourteenth member of the Organization. Having obvious relations to Roxas, Sora, and Kairi, she befriends Roxas and Axel, and the trio spend their days together. She faces Riku and loses, receiving insults about herself and her Keyblade. She finally learns of her true nature, and sacrifices herself for her friends and Sora. We learn much about her during the course of the game, and in the end, her story becomes a tragedy...

The gameplay is fast-paced and engaged, if a bit difficult during certain stages, especially when flying around Neverland. Magic is odd, but has it's own charm. However, levelling felt force-fed. I would be a certain level for quite a few missions, until I received a LV Doubler/Tripler, at which point I would gain about 4-6 levels suddenly, exactly what I needed for the next few missions. I personally was not fond of this, as I like to have the option of power-levelling, which was difficult when getting one Level Up chip through experience was difficult and annoying.

Overall, it was a great game story-and-gameplay wise, but it was a bit annoying or forced at times. I personally love it, but it does feel like it's a game only a certain type of gamer can appreciate.

megatron532

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm so-so about it. The story was really something, and it had the right amount of difficulty. However, it could have been so much more in terms of gameplay, like we could've gotten to use some of the Org's abilities beyond the Limit Breaks. We also weren't informed of the relationship between the lesser Nobodies and the Organization XIII members. We also could have learned a little bit more about who numbers 9-12 used to be before their Nobody personas came into being.

However, the way the Organization treated Roxas and his friends wasn't at all out of character, and I could truly see why Roxas wanted to leave the Organization besides Xion.

Overall, Days could have been better, but it at least had a decent story.

These are my exact thoughts on the game.

You know, when I finally watched Xion fade away at the end, I almost cried. Here was a character who impacted Roxas and Sora and Axel and Riku and pretty much the entire Organization in general, and when she was gone, no one would know she ever existed. Not only that, but she wasn't a Nobody, it wasn't like you could just find her heart and she'd be back. She was gonna be gone. It was sad when right before the fight with Riku, Rku made that comment that it was a struggle just to remember her name.

Watching Roxas go from a robot just going through the motions to the hate-filled kid when he fought Riku was awesome. Gameplay kinda sucked.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Are we seriously still on this topic I thought this was over some months ago lol.

Loki

Hated the graphics, but I thought it had a great storyline. Xion's death was very memorable and touching, probably one of the best/saddest moments in KH.

prjio307

I live in New York, in the Rochester area
I only disliked two things about this game but they were enough to make me most likely never replay it. For one, I absolute loathed the magic system in this game. Magic was pretty much useless because you could only use your equipped spells once. Your spells were limited to however many spells you had equipped. Once you ran out, you just sorta ran out. They weren't even all that powerful either. I practically nevered used magic in this game because of how limited it was.

The other thing I didn't like about the game was the fact that rather than actually making the game challenging, they just boosted the health of bosses to ridiculous levels. Bosses weren't difficult, they were just annoying because their health was so obnoxiously high that they took forever to defeat.

theirlosthearts

Awards
Days is definitely one of my favs. Personally, I loved it overall. The story is great, the panel system is interesting, playing the different characters was fun (especially with the massive number of weapons), and overall Days is a great game. For me, graphics aren't that big of a deal (I would rather play a fun game than a game that just has good graphics), so I don't really find the graphics to be a turnoff. The missions had enough variety for me, and really, any repetitiveness doesn't seem like a problem with the touching story that's always developing.

I only disliked two things about this game but they were enough to make me most likely never replay it. For one, I absolute loathed the magic system in this game. Magic was pretty much useless because you could only use your equipped spells once. Your spells were limited to however many spells you had equipped. Once you ran out, you just sorta ran out. They weren't even all that powerful either. I practically nevered used magic in this game because of how limited it was.

Use one panel to hold an elixir, and you've in essence doubled your equipped magic. Equip two elixirs, and your equpped magic is tripled. As for the usefulness of magic, it depends on what your fighting.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
I have mixed views on this. One one hand, I feel like it really did a great job with the story telling, and the relationship between Roxas, Axel, and Xion is actually a lot more fleshed out than the one between Sora, Riku, and Kairi. The actual story itself is paced well, and it constantly keeps you wanting to see how things turn out (which is quite a feat considering it's a midquel.) And it makes Roxas out to be an incredible character considering that he's really nothing but the shadow of another person. But all of this great build up is ultimately for two characters who really don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Xion is a forgotten department store mannequin, and Roxas no longer matters after Kingdom Hearts 2. (Then again, I've yet to play 3D, so my view on that may be subject to change.) So, it's a good game, but it's kind of a let-down by the same token.

My other gripe is with the game-play aspects. None of the worlds are new and there are no new pieces of music (except for Xion's theme and that one tune that plays whenever they meet up on top of the clock tower).

Ultimately, it's frustrating because it's such a good filler story, and filler in anything usually sucks. The problem is that although it's good, it's still filler (unless it ties in later on, but who knows if it ever will.)

Klom89

Website
www.fanfiction.net
I found the Blizzard series to be the absolute worst spells in the game. Fire and Thunder were my staples, especially Thundaga, because it was overpowered, accurate 90% of the time; and there only about 4 enemies resistant to it. Jolt was a bonus.

The story is mixed for me. Roxas's character had a lot of development and it shows just how much thought was put into him. The drama gave Days a tone the others wouldn't have till BBS.

Though I also say they were trying too hard.

The Disney elements were also NOT implemented well or even at all.

And now that I am holding a Flame-resistant umbrella over my head, I will say this: Xion was more of a Deus Ex Machina than anything else. (Though yes, I DID cry at her death)

Last edited:

theirlosthearts

Awards
I found the Blizzard series to be the absolute worst spells in the game. Fire and Thunder were my staples, especially Thundaga, because it was overpowered, accurate 90% of the time; and there only about 4 enemies resistant to it. Jolt was a bonus.

This is so true! After getting all the magic, I don't think I used anything other than fire and thundaga, and occasionally aeroga. I think the only time I used any blizzard type spells was using blizzaga on the Emerald Serenade missions. The magic system definitely was not balanced D=

Klom89

Website
www.fanfiction.net
This is so true! After getting all the magic, I don't think I used anything other than fire and thundaga, and occasionally aeroga. I think the only time I used any blizzard type spells was using blizzaga on the Emerald Serenade missions. The magic system definitely was not balanced D=

Fire's the best for Serenades. The Burn damage adds up when your'e waiting a long time. Using Blizzard was like wearing a blindfold at a shooing gallery. It jut never wanted to work; ans when it did, it barely did anything. My guess is they were TRYING to make it more of a
"strategic" spell due to how overpowered Jolt and Freeze were, but they just flopped it.

wii.red24

Its not a bad game if you want a definition of a bad game look at Tony Hawk Pro Skater IV or look at E.T.(atari) or look at the numerous turok games or even luigis mansion which i guess isnt horrible but i guess considering it feels like a cheap spinoff with no defined point then yeah, anyway KH 358/2 days isnt a bad game it just isnt great like Kingdom Hearts 2 or KHBBS or even the orginal. It gets some things right but it gets alot of things wrong, that being said in my opinion i think the fact that it was on the NDS really limited what it could do graphically and so while it was 3D it wasn't true 3D and i'll even admit im a graphics whore thats part of the reason i love Kingdom Hearts is because of the gameplay the story and the grapchics 358/2 days i would give a 6/10 on graphics a 8/10 on story and a 6.5/10 on gameplay i would give a higher score on gameplay but the gameplay was half and half plus the graphics werent what they could of been. If 358/2 days was on any other system it could have probably done very well.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Wasn't a big favorite of mine and was kind of a let down for me, after getting it. Mostly, because I was hyped up over the cutscenes and mystery fourteenth member. I mean, I wanted this game more then Birth by sleep, as crazy as that sounds. Only, to be let down over certain things. Was a good game, but I think it could have been done differently or maybe even better. For a ds game, it's what I more or less expected it to be.

I liked playing it, but the boss fights were pretty hard, especially in Halloween town. Having to find stuff, in certain missions, aggravated me more then anything else. That I would spend countless hours looking for that spot or icon. But, the cutscenes, made all those hours doing missions and bosses, worth it. Was surprised how easy it was to fight Riku for a boss, he should have been harder.

I liked the insight we had, about certain things in the organization XIII. I would have liked to know more about them, but what we got, answered a few things I wanted to know. Guess I'll go ahead and say it, yes I felt bad for Xion at the end, but the rest of the time, I wasn't thrilled with her or learning what she was.

Playing the other organization 13 members, was fun though. Overall, I would play it again.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
@ wii.red24

You lose all respect saying any part of the Tony Hawks Pro Skater part of the series was bad(notice I said pro skater).

If you would have said Underground 2, American Wasteland, or even Ride and Shred I'd take it a bit more seriously.

Like a lot of people have said on the forums you know a game is bad when you can take it out and it doesn't affect the story all that much. When it was brought up some years ago this game was being made everyone was excited why because it was about Roxas who might as well took over as main character in KH2. Fast forward to it's release we see it for what it is at least most people did the game was more about everyone else than it was for Roxas he was there, but it felt more like they made it Xion's game.

In the end this is one of the games just like KH2 and Re:coded that will be criticized the most.

prjio307

I live in New York, in the Rochester area
Wasn't a big favorite of mine and was kind of a let down for me, after getting it. Mostly, because I was hyped up over the cutscenes and mystery fourteenth member. I mean, I wanted this game more then Birth by sleep, as crazy as that sounds. Only, to be let down over certain things. Was a good game, but I think it could have been done differently or maybe even better. For a ds game, it's what I more or less expected it to be.

I liked playing it, but the boss fights were pretty hard, especially in Halloween town. Having to find stuff, in certain missions, aggravated me more then anything else. That I would spend countless hours looking for that spot or icon. But, the cutscenes, made all those hours doing missions and bosses, worth it. Was surprised how easy it was to fight Riku for a boss, he should have been harder.

I liked the insight we had, about certain things in the organization XIII. I would have liked to know more about them, but what we got, answered a few things I wanted to know. Guess I'll go ahead and say it, yes I felt bad for Xion at the end, but the rest of the time, I wasn't thrilled with her or learning what she was.

Playing the other organization 13 members, was fun though. Overall, I would play it again.
The bosses weren't that difficult at all. In fact, a lot of them were actually pretty easy. The problem was that they had ridiculous amounts of HP. The bosses were never legitimately difficult; they just had obnoxious amounts of HP which made defeating them take practically forever. This is a massive copout when it comes to boss design.

wii.red24

@ wii.red24

You lose all respect saying any part of the Tony Hawks Pro Skater part of the series was bad(notice I said pro skater).

If you would have said Underground 2, American Wasteland, or even Ride and Shred I'd take it a bit more seriously.

Like a lot of people have said on the forums you know a game is bad when you can take it out and it doesn't affect the story all that much. When it was brought up some years ago this game was being made everyone was excited why because it was about Roxas who might as well took over as main character in KH2. Fast forward to it's release we see it for what it is at least most people did the game was more about everyone else than it was for Roxas he was there, but it felt more like they made it Xion's game.

In the end this is one of the games just like KH2 and Re:coded that will be criticized the most.

Well i would have to disagree with you it was a pretty shitty game imo and the first two Tony Hawk games were far better.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
Well yeah, but the pro skater part of the series are pretty much the glory days. Underground was the last great one before it all fell down after that.

Still this is not a Tony Hawk thread though so I'mma end it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back