• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Kingdom Hearts I really good or is it overrated due to nostalgia/first/original of the series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Re: Is Kingdom Hearts I really good or is it overrated due to nostalgia/first/ original of the serie

Shinjuku said:
Okay this nostalgic crap to me is overdone. Most people on this forum will probably tell you that when KH1 first came out they thought it was gay to team up with Disney I'm one of them, but after playing it. It was the best game put together out of the entire series yeah after you beat you can go back and pick it apart it seems a lot love to do that, but overall that game got what it deserved which was a 9/10.

If anything it's still underrated in my eyes.

I would think very few people actually deny that Kingdom Hearts 1 is a good game and the ratings are surely deserved.
The more striking issue is however, that the other titles in the KH series also got high ratings and the sales of the series in its entirety speak for themselves.
Citing the overboarding praise for KH 1 as nostalgia issues is in my eyes also way more polite and "understanding" than spiteful "putting on a pedestal", "purists" or "elitists"-ranting because in several cases praising of KH 1 also comes with relentless bashing of at least one if not more of the other titles.
That is what at least bothers me to some extent, and I dare also say some others...not that many people consider KH 1 the best...that's an opinion one has to respect.
In return however I also demand that people who don't go along with this get that respect as well and not that when someone writes on his/her favorite entry in the series and two or three posts later someone comes along to tell "Are you retarded/dumb? [Insert KH-Title other than KH 1 here] sucked badly because blablabla, rant, fume."
Regardless how that may bother some...I won't even say it is the majority of the fandom (no one can claim to speak for the majority) that puts KH 1 over everything, even if the majority of this forum may do that, there are quite some groups of people out there for which KH 1 is not the non-plus-ultra of the series.
---

As for the OP-question:
Kingdom Hearts 1 is really good and definitely worth to play, wouldn't say it's over- but also not underrated...it only gets sometimes put into ridicolous heights in comparison to the other titles of the series.
Every entry in the series has its flaws...and some flaws in one title may bother a group of people more than others.
KH 1's flaws do tend to get downplayed though due to nostalgia-glasses.

EDIT:
@Shinjuku:
And again you can't accept other opinions who find KH2 better and start to rant about Disney Worlds and the oh so shitty story of KH2...that doesn't need to be thrown into the cooking pot everytime again when someone prefers an other title over KH1, seriously.

siegleeagle

Re: Is Kingdom Hearts I really good or is it overrated due to nostalgia/first/ original of the serie

I would think very few people actually deny that Kingdom Hearts 1 is a good game and the ratings are surely deserved.
The more striking issue is however, that the other titles in the KH series also got high ratings and the sales of the series in its entirety speak for themselves.
Citing the overboarding praise for KH 1 as nostalgia issues is in my eyes also way more polite and "understanding" than spiteful "putting on a pedestal", "purists" or "elitists"-ranting because in several cases praising of KH 1 also comes with relentless bashing of at least one if not more of the other titles.
That is what at least bothers me to some extent, and I dare also say some others...not that many people consider KH 1 the best...that's an opinion one has to respect.
In return however I also demand that people who don't go along with this get that respect as well and not that when someone writes on his/her favorite entry in the series and two or three posts later someone comes along to tell "Are you retarded/dumb? [Insert KH-Title other than KH 1 here] sucked badly because blablabla, rant, fume."
Regardless how that may bother some...I won't even say it is the majority of the fandom (no one can claim to speak for the majority) that puts KH 1 over everything, even if the majority of this forum may do that, there are quite some groups of people out there for which KH 1 is not the non-plus-ultra of the series.
---

As for the OP-question:
Kingdom Hearts 1 is really good and definitely worth to play, wouldn't say it's over- but also not underrated...it only gets sometimes put into ridicolous heights in comparison to the other titles of the series.
Every entry in the series has its flaws...and some flaws in one title may bother a group of people more than others.
KH 1's flaws do tend to get downplayed though due to nostalgia-glasses.

EDIT:
@Shinjuku:
And again you can't accept other opinions who find KH2 better and start to rant about Disney Worlds and the oh so shitty story of KH2...that doesn't need to be thrown into the cooking pot everytime again when someone prefers an other title over KH1, seriously.

I agree with him. Shinjuku you get mad or annoyed because someone likes something you don't. People like that on this forum are really really starting to grind on my nerves and as a whole makes the forums a negative place to be sometimes. Someone thinks KH2 had the best story and gameplay? Thats perfectly fine and acceptable. They are not stupid or inferior and they have the right to feel that way. I don't get mad or annoyed at other people for hating any of the kingdom hearts games because the particular title may have not been for them. I just wish that sometimes people would get over themselves and see other people with different opinions exist.

Youniquee

Awards

I personally think KH1 is overrated. I haven't played it but I've watched some of it..it doesn't look that special. But this might be inaccurate, but that's just my opinion.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

@ siegleeagle

It might get on your nerves, but truth is KH2 wasn't special honestly in regards to the thread if the game was overrated why has it spawned sequels/prequels and probably soon to be spinoffs(hope not).

Okay so say I got an opinion that I think the earth is flat, or something like I think Wal-mart doesn't exist. Is that really an opinion still?

My only reasoning in saying what I did in the last post is cause I was trying to see if anyone could tell me why they liked KH2.

Awards

@ siegleeagle

It might get on your nerves, but truth is KH2 wasn't special honestly in regards to the thread if the game was overrated why has it spawned sequels/prequels and probably soon to be spinoffs(hope not).

Okay so say I got an opinion that I think the earth is flat, or something like I think Wal-mart doesn't exist. Is that really an opinion still?

Saying the "Earth is flat" or "Wal-mart doesn't exist" isn't an opinion, it's an erroneous fact."Truth is KH2 wasn't special" is an opinion dressed up as a fact.

Saying "KH2 is the best game" is an opinion because there are no definitive objective standards with which we can test that claim, it's based on subjective preference. Someone very well has the right to believe that, and you're moronic if you think otherwise.

Also, someone might look at the fact that KH1 produced so many sequels and spinoffs as evidence of it being overrated. That's often part of what makes something overrated. Many people still like it to the point where more games are made even though others believe it isn't so good as to justify more games. Look at Call of Duty, for example. A lot of people think they're overrated. And they're all-time best sellers churning out a new game every year.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

Okay the part about Wal-mart was an extreme, but the part about the earth being flat well without me never going into space, and only having pictures to look at that still could count as an opinion.

There are people that believe we didn't land on the moon would that be an erroneous fact?

No saying "KH2 is the best game" means you're trying to state it was fact if you say "I think KH2 is the best game." Then that's an opinion.

As for the part about Call of Duty only the later games are considered overrated never heard someone say that COD1, 2, 3, 4, or even 5 were overrated some of these were bad like Call of Duty 3, but overrated nope.

You know I'll even go out on a limb to say I defend this 1st entry much more than any other cause I one point I was a huge fan. Yeah I understand it's not right to bash at everyone's opinions, but I guess I hate it when threads like these are made.

siegleeagle

Okay the part about Wal-mart was an extreme, but the part about the earth being flat well without me never going into space, and only having pictures to look at that still could count as an opinion.

There are people that believe we didn't land on the moon would that be an erroneous fact?

No saying "KH2 is the best game" means you're trying to state it was fact if you say "I think KH2 is the best game." Then that's an opinion.

As for the part about Call of Duty only the later games are considered overrated never heard someone say that COD1, 2, 3, 4, or even 5 were overrated some of these were bad like Call of Duty 3, but overrated nope.

You know I'll even go out on a limb to say I defend this 1st entry much more than any other cause I one point I was a huge fan. Yeah I understand it's not right to bash at everyone's opinions, but I guess I hate it when threads like these are made.

Thats very understandable and you don't necessarily annoy me. Its just that I have seen a lot of hateful things on this thread and it has made me just jump at the slightest thing anymore. It was the way you worded it that made it sound like that. Im not mad I just get tried of the crap people say sometimes.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

I'll be honest the reason you see me say things like that is I've probably said it before, but I'm one of those bitter fans that had high expectations for this series when I first got it.

At one point I even said KH2 was going to be good, and if you remember the infamous IGN review I bashed them for that at first. Then as I begin to play the story being at the age of 16 you know it didn't really bother me until I noticed all those plot holes, and then the retarded dialogue. Plus the Voice actors were annoying and giving certain people voices that weren't there in KH1 like Cid, Merlin, Chip n Dale.

Still as I said I understand people got their opinions may I do need to back off the bashing, but I still don't see the positives about KH2 except the Gummi Ship, and maybe the drive forms up until Master and Final Form(both not needed).

At the same time though for KH2 it's better than FFXIII in many ways except the battle system and story(only barely).

xFUSEx

KH 1 is still a great game to play through again especially after playing BBS and all of the others. Its cool to go back and start to see all of the connections.

Klom89

Website
www.fanfiction.net

The way I see it, it was good for the time it came out, but most people view it for the nostalgia.....:D

Guernsey

Awards
The KH series is good for gameplay but making sense of the story is like finding the hay in the needle stack. It occurred to me that Square Enix nowadays isn't really good at handling sequels, especially with the KH series although it is pretty much your milegae will vary on this. The main thing that made the FF series so good was it never had a direct sequel even if they were spinoffs, there was never one universe as there were many separate universes. KH is Sora's story but I just wish that they actually planned things out first as opposed to giving us a ton of Sora clones that the illusion that there is a connection. KH could had growing up as theme and the later sequels could be just metaphor for trials and tribulations that come with growing up but then again you have Disney and that wouldn't workout so well.

Shinjuku

Entrapment
@ destinykh

Yeah we're also talking about the same company that churned out craptastic movies like Little Mermaid 2 and 3, Mulan 2, Lion King 2, Jungle Book 2, Peter Pan 2(Return to neverland), Cinderella 2 and 3 the list goes on.

Yeah Square Enix in one sense is the Disney of gaming companies somewhat make a good game then ruin with sequels FFX and FFX-2 is one example lol.

Let me make that a bit clearer FFX=Masterpiece FFX-2= not needed

Last edited:

Midnight Warrior

To me, Kingdom Hearts 1 is like the pilot episode. It's awesome, dark, deep, original, and amazing. The Heartless are creepy and a bit scary, and the whole concept of worlds being devoured by the darkness gives the game a chilling and foreboding tone. The plot is complex, but to the point where it's confusing and full of plot holes. It gives a Disney feel to a Final Fantasy-like setting and does well to weave many of Disney's classics into a larger epic.

When a pilot episode leads to a main series, there are usually some changes made. Actors are replaced, motivations are changed, new plot elements arise, etc. Many of the things that made KH great in the first place were toned down or removed altogether. The Heartless ceased being the center of attention as the overarching plot linking the many spin-off titles grew far more complicated and repetitive. Instead of facing new, innovative characters, the player, in essence, fights the same villains using the same hero all throughout the series. Maleficent was dealt with nicely in KH1--she led the other villains, fought with Sora, and lost everything. When she appears again in KH2, her role is minuscule and redundant up until she takes an ironic turn towards the end of the game.

KH1 isn't weighed down by the technicalities of subsequent titles. It's never a question of whether or not one exists or whether one has a heart. A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose, and Sora is Sora is Sora is Sora. No matter what color hair he has or what his name is, he's still, in essence, the same root character who is played in every title. The same goes for "Ansem". Whether it's a Nobody, a Heartless, or a crazy old man, he's still the same essential character being repeated all throughout the series.

KH2 became a "business as usual" kind of game. You go a world, fight the boss, and open a new pathway. Occasionally someone from in a black coat shows up, but that's about it until Sora & Co. find TWTNW. Sora's older and more experienced, so it's only natural that he's not in a constant state of awe like he is in KH1. But something is missing--something that makes all of these worlds relevant to the overall story. The villains aren't after Keyholes anymore, and Sora's quest to find the Org. isn't aided by traveling from world to world in the same manner as his previous quest to stop the Heartless. I guess what I'm trying to say is the game doesn't offer a good enough reason to have Sora traveling all over the place since his travels don't yield the same accomplishments as they did in the first title.

Pete is superfluous and detracts attention away from the Org. Trying to split the game's focus between Heartless and Nobodies via the use of Maleficent and Pete on one end of the spectrum and the Org. on the other weakens the impact of both sides. In KH1, you had one--and only one--focus: to stop the ones who are controlling the Heartless. In KH2, Sora's all over the place fighting foes he didn't even know were still kicking around. The Heartless become a comedy act; they don't induce the same level of fear and urgency as they did in the first title. But the Nobodies aren't any better. They feel tacked on and out of place--as if they fell out of a wormhole leading to a parallel dimension.

The reason why I find KH1 to be the best game in the whole series is because of its originality and flow. That's not to say I don't love the other games, but I feel as though they could have been drastically different when compared to the first title. The main story in the KH universe has become too convoluted and complicated with all these half-deaths and nonexistent lives. I personally feel as if KH1 is a separate game altogether from CoM and the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back