• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Is Kingdom Hearts I really good or is it overrated due to nostalgia/first/original of the series?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddard

Re: Is Kingdom Hearts I really good or is it overrated due to nostalgia/first/ original of the serie

The first Kingdom Hearts game was the best overall, but it had its own flaws that for me makes it a decent game but not a great one.

Terraearthman15

Re: Is Kingdom Hearts I really good or is it overrated due to nostalgia/first/ original of the serie

My favorite overall of the KH series is BBS, however I still enjoy playing KH1 over and over again.......and I feel like I notice something new about it every time I play it. The challenge is also still lingering about in high quality, which I come to realize every time I fight the Riku in: Hallow Bastion and the Gargoyle in: The End of the World.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I was playing KH1 yesterday, trying to help my best friend's little sister get through Monstro.... holy fuck do I hate that camera.

Vani

LOVEY DOVEY DOVEY

I played Kingdom Hearts 2 and Kingdom Hearts re:CoM before the first one. So I didnt have the whole nostalgia feel.
For me, it wasn't all that. Like it was still a good game, one of my favorites in fact, but I didnt find it to be as good as its usually portrayed.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

This is why you don't play the sequels before the original I fell into the trap with God of War played the second one and now it's the best one to me well not anymore now it's 3, but still you get the point.

It also depends on when you played them if you played KH1 right now I doubt you feel like it was great cause it's a PS2 game and you're surrounded by 360, Wii, DS, PSP, PS3, 3DS, PS Vita(soon), and Wiiu(soon).

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

^Not really relevant. I only started playing FF games a couple years ago and they're still great.

Anyway, I have nostalgia for KH1, admittedly. I played it 8 years ago. But it's the game in the series that seems most put together in terms of story. The others are great, but they sometimes dangle on the edge.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

^ Yeah I understand that, but most of the time it's hard for someone to go back beyond FFVII cause technically the best FF is one probably half the forums haven't played me included.

Still I don't suggest playing something out of order if you can help it.

Guernsey

Awards

^ You have a point there, most people say that FFVII is the best game ever simply because it was probably the first Japanese RPG theye ver played on PS. KH1 for all its inferior graphics is still endearing to a lot of fans but most of the hate and cynicism is due to the fact that future KH games cannot live up to their hype and became a big mess afterwards. KH1 is the most well put together and thoroughly planned out of all the KH games whether you believe it or not. CoM comes close KH1 is terms of story, KH2 tries to be its own beast unless you played CoM you will be lost, Days was good concept executed poorly, BBS only served to introduce more plotholes and inconsistencies and the cell phone games only confuse you even more.

I just wish that Nomura thought things through first because no one seems to play KH for the Disney aspect of the series. It is sadly a victim of its own success.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

^I'll stopn you at BBS introducing more plotholes. All I've seen was phs being covered up.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

Noruma does need to get his head in the game I'm still a little ticked that he basically used Roxas as two characters, but everyone believes their different. Because the head guy Noruma said it himself I think it's a crock of s#%t really.

After Kingdom Hearts 1 and maybe COM I don't know where they were headed with some of these games. Cause for the most part BBS to me it's messing with the first game a lot cause now with the whole MX and TAV plot it's just ridiculous.

Actually I have yet to see what plotholes it covered up if you could tell me I'll listen.

Jelai

Website
space-paranoids.tumblr.com

Well, don't get your expectations too high as the controls for Kingdom Hearts I (especially the camera controls) were kinda crappy. But as a game and plot-wise, they're simple and clean (lol lame pun) enough to follow. In fact, I replayed KH 1 several months before the North American release of BBS so that I can get a full recap of what went on, and it was quite enjoyable to play again even though I would rather replay KH2 or BBS again. What surprised me was how difficult the Riku part 2 boss battle was on the hard mode in KH 1, and it was even harder than many of the bosses I fought in Proud mode in KH2. Nevertheless, Riku II was a very good battle to play despite it being slightly annoying (especially with how you can't skip cut scenes have to slug through reruns before being able to battle Riku again...unless you ordered the Final Mix version of KH 1 which is way better than the regular version, then you wouldn't have to worry about this). Although IMHO, you should have just ordered Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

^ Lol at the fact you though the Proud Mode bosses were harder than KH1 bosses I'm sorry man, but it is really funny. With the camera I'm like I didn't care, but do agree KH2 was better with the camera.

JM0c

Website
www.wix.com

I didn't play it till after COM and KHII and i thought it was really good. It was also puzzling and more challenging to get through worlds. good game. I think the story afterwards with CoM KHII and BBS was more thought out. But gameplay wise it is way up there and the story is not bad at all just more simplistic than the others. IMHO that is

walker911

Banned

The game came in today and it came much faster than expected!

Game, check!
Weed, check!

Decrith

I played KH1, KH2, and KH:ReCoM one after the other, and I have to say, I liked KH2 more than KH1, and I liked ReCom more than 1. I think that people are just nostalgic about it. But even then, I always loved the Drive command (button massing ftw) & also liked the challenged given by reCom. In short, I really like games that are either really easy, or really hard, KH1 was like a mix of both, so I didn't like it much, either way, all are great games.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

Okay this nostalgic crap to me is overdone. Most people on this forum will probably tell you that when KH1 first came out they thought it was gay to team up with Disney I'm one of them, but after playing it. It was the best game put together out of the entire series yeah after you beat you can go back and pick it apart it seems a lot love to do that, but overall that game got what it deserved which was a 9/10.

If anything it's still underrated in my eyes.

Something else I might add if KH1 is overrated based on nostalgia what about GTA: SA, Zelda OOT, Super Mario 64 what does that make those cause the latter two always considered GOAT in gaming.

Last edited:

ICECOOL113

Of course KH1 has got to be the best because it opened a new world of gaming for the PS2. To me however KH2 was the best because it used a whole new system of graphic gaming and what not.

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards

Quite Honestly, I think KHI is an overrated game, but not hugely overrated like with Call of Duty and Super Smash Bros. Melee. Kingdom Hearts, at the time of its release, was a revolutionary game. From what I've heard, when Kingdom Hearts was first announced in 2001, people were thinking that the game wouldn't work, yet now, we have six games, and at least two more on the way, and a huge fanbase. Despite being slightly overrated, it does get most of the praise it deserves. It had a great gameplay system and a relatively easy to understand storyline. At nine years old, I could have never imagined how complicated the story would get by the time Birth by Sleep came out.

I still consider KHI to be one of the best KH games ever, but to me, KHII is slightly better because of a better story and a very cinematic gameplay feel.

Shinjuku

Entrapment

Man I don't think I'll ever get it with people saying Kingdom Hearts 2 had the better story. I'm still wondering if these same people actually played KH2.

In fact I'll put this out there did anyone realize that KH2 ignored the disney worlds with the story telling?

I mean in KH1 the worlds were apart of the story there was reason to go from world to world
1. You're searching for Kiari.
2. You're trying to find the seven princess.
3. You're looking for Riku and King Mickey.
4. Finding out who Ansem was.

In the second game
1. You're looking for Riku and then somehow you end up looking for Kairi just to make it seem interesting.
2. Try to stop the organization
3. Stop Malefincent again(stupid imo).

Maybe it's just me, but the story of KH2 was awful I do understand people got opinions, but man that story was awful.Maybe someone can explain in detail why the game was good too them.

Last edited:

StVen

To be honest, I like KH2 better, not because of the story, but because of the battle system. There's a lot of improvements from KH1 to KH2 in terms of gameplay not to mention the camera on KH1 really suck. I've played all the series still, for me, KH2 still stands the best of them all, birth by sleep goes by second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back