• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Jaded Gamers Thread - "ya im mad"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
critical gammers

dmc brought back a good but dead thing just to ruin it

bioshock infinite was a 7 at best

last of us 10/10 lmao fluff no

For the more frank discussions and debates about the quality of games, state of the industry and the like.
Where you're allowed to say you like something while still acknowledging its flaws.

Discussions of certain games can lead into broader cross-franchise, inter-genre or industry-wide discussions of practices and trends, eventually leading a thread's discussion away from the intended topic. You are encouraged to bring such discussions here if they get out of hand.

==========

Continued from the discussion in The Last Of Us thread.

People always feel much different about games - and start being properly critical of them - only weeks after the novelty of the first experience has worn off a little, so I'm waiting for that. Bioshock Infinite on the first playthrough? 9/10. Upon looking back? 7, maybe an 8 if you're being generous.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Re: The Last of Us

People always feel much different about games - and start being properly critical of them - only weeks after the novelty of the first experience has worn off a little, so I'm waiting for that. Bioshock Infinite on the first playthrough? 9/10. Upon looking back? 7, maybe an 8 if you're being generous.

Good example of this is how people feel about Skyrim now.

First few weeks or so?

"OMG BEST GAME EVER"

2 years afterwards?

"it's an ocean with the depth of a puddle"

granted i haven't played the game but the point still stands.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com

You're kidding right? There were people calling Skyrim game of the year for 2012 even though it came out in 2011, because it holds up so well they forget how old it is (and because 2012 was pretty lacking in ground breaking games). Anyone who called Skyrim shallow after it being out for a few months clearly didn't put much effort in it, because people are still finding new quests they didn't know were there.

Anyway, this game seems to have enough innovative gameplay aspects that I've no doubt that its high scores are well deserved.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards

You're kidding right? There were people calling Skyrim game of the year for 2012 even though it came out in 2011, because it holds up so well they forget how old it is (and because 2012 was pretty lacking in ground breaking games). Anyone who called Skyrim shallow after it being out for a few months clearly didn't put much effort in it, because people are still finding new quests they didn't know were there.

Maybe I've been hanging around in different places, but I have seen people be a lot more critical over Skyrim now than when it came out (replace "months" with "a year and a few months", if you'd like). I don't know whether they actually have any substantial points, I'm just relaying what I've experienced.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com

If anything, the aspect of Skryim that's most criticized that was pretty much ignored when it first came out would be how buggy it can get. Though anyone with experience with Bethesda games should be surprised by that lol.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

Everyone anticipates buggy games of that scale, so that goes without saying. Half-baked perk system, melee that still feels floaty as hell, uninspired magic, simplified equipment and weaponry, the world doesn't really react to any achievements of yours outside the Alduin questline. Whether or not you keep discovering quests months later I consider pretty irrelevant since that's ultimately just up to how thorough or not you want to be in exploring the game. Skyrim is sufficiently good, but that's about it in the end, and those that get what lore it's drawing upon have reason to be even more upset it left other possibilities basically untouched.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

pretty sure that's just a myth, bro

no?

it's a AAA title from a company who already has overrated games (see: uncharted), of course it was going to get really great scores. a lot of games get really good scores and then don't actually live up to the praise. it happens all the time. bioshock infinite, as orion mentioned. DmC as well. the rating system has a lot of problems, and one of the largest can be seen right here, right now: the bandwagon effect: everyone gets really hyped up for the game and suddenly everyone is manic about it; mania dies down later and reality kicks in and it's just an average game, maybe an above average experience.

do i think the last of us is an average game? yeah, on paper, definitely.

>zombies
>guns
>lots of cgi action
>deep, gritty story with heart between two main characters
>MY WAIFU THO

am i saying it's a bad game? i wouldn't know. it's probably a good game and a great experience, but i'm not going to blindly be like "wow look at all the 100s must be goty all years" before waiting a few weeks/months/even years and seeing what happens when everything dies down. it's okay to be excited for a game, but let's not keep jizzing ourselves just because we see scores from game journalists who are probably just overhyping the game to hell and back.

i mean seriously, the Citizen Kane of gaming? lol ok.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards

As I like to say, sometimes it's better to try something out yourself instead of having to listen to others opinions. I'll play this game, because when I see it, it seems really good. The story, it sounds good too, so because it has two things that I like, I'll be renting it and if I like it, I'll buy it.

King Naruto

Retired (for now)
Awards
Creating bonds to save our world and bring peace

I'm going to have to agree with quiteMad. And completely disagree with hype being the only reason Bioshock Infinite nor DMC were seen as good. Most people was looking at DMC to fail to which it didn't. Then again that is your opinion.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

wow dude that's some solid reasoning

i didn't say hype is what caused games to be bad. that's not even an argument. i'm saying that games can be overhyped and more often than not, they don't deliver. but then a new game comes out, gets overhyped, and everyone falls prey to the same exact thing.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards

I'm going to have to agree with quiteMad. And completely disagree with hype being the only reason Bioshock Infinite nor DMC were seen as good.
I never said Infinite got so well-reviewed because of hype, though it can contribute. I said that upon first experience - especially in games that manage to immerse you - most people become very generous in their reception of a product. It's only later that you can look back and realise, all things consider, Infinite was pushing very good, but not so much great or anything beyond.

DMC and Infinite were also aiming for very different things, and carried them out in very different ways. The Bioshock games were always about immersion, world-building and exploration of said world or concepts and themes within it; in that context I'd say Infinite did really well. DMC (the series) was first and foremost always about the quality of combat, followed up by its tongue-in-cheek story and characters; DmC went off the deep end in these departments - simplified the combat, took its own lacklustre story way too seriously, and made pretty much every character bland and unlikeable outside of the occasional one-liner.

Most people was looking at DMC to fail to which it didn't. Then again that is your opinion.
Commercially it failed, and I get the impression people will be recalling (relative to post-release time) how Infinite impacted their impressions of game story-telling and world-building than DmC did with any of its elements combined.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

Differing opinions. Neat how that goes.

if you want to enter a discussion, contribute to it. expand and explain. don't drop in, conflict with a consensus, and then be all "well that's just like your opinion"

King Naruto

Retired (for now)
Awards

Differing opinions. Neat how that goes.

I never said Infinite got so well-reviewed because of hype, though it can contribute. I said that upon first experience - especially in games that manage to immerse you - most people become very generous in their reception of a product. It's only later that you can look back and realise, all things consider, Infinite was pushing very good, but not so much great or anything beyond.

DMC and Infinite were also aiming for very different things, and carried them out in very different ways. The Bioshock games were always about immersion, world-building and exploration of said world or concepts and themes within it; in that context I'd say Infinite did really well. DMC (the series) was first and foremost always about the quality of combat, followed up by its tongue-in-cheek story and characters; DmC went off the deep end in these departments - simplified the combat, took its own lacklustre story way too seriously, and made pretty much every character bland and unlikeable outside of the occasional one-liner.

Commercially it failed, and I get the impression people will be recalling (relative to post-release time) how Infinite impacted their impressions of game story-telling and world-building than DmC did with any of its elements combined.

That...was in response to Tayroar.

Once again....difference in opinions. I'm not the only person who believed that the characters were well done and developed fine, the story was average but, fit for the game, and that combat was executed well.

Commercially, I don't care in regards to this. Is it saddening that it did? Yes. But that does not impact at all my look on it or others.

I'm sorry that I share different viewpoint from you on this.

Taylor

Gold Member
Awards

Once again....difference in opinions. I'm not the only person who believed that the characters were well done and developed fine, the story was average but, fit for the game, and that combat was executed well.

Commercially, I don't care in regards to this. Is it saddening that it did? Yes. But that does not impact at all my look on it or others.

this is - by and large - not a "viewpoint". poor commercial performance is not a viewpoint, it's a fact.

like i originally mentioned, i don't doubt that the last of us will be a good or even a great game. but a perfect game? no, i really doubt that. just like i was skeptical of infinite's praise and dmc's praise, i am skeptical of the last of us's scores.

all you're saying is "i liked the game so that's all that matters" and that's really totally irrelevant tbh.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards

There's a quote button for that.

Once again....difference in opinions.

Or a lack of actual thought.

I think he would be more upset that you don't WANT to share your viewpoint aside from just saying "Meh it's just my opinion."

This is a discussion forum. Not an opinion forum.

King Naruto

Retired (for now)
Awards

this is - by and large - not a "viewpoint". poor commercial performance is not a viewpoint, it's a fact.

No. You misread. I do not care for the fact that it didn't sale large figures. That is totally beside the point of the actual performance of the game itself. Sales =/= Bad game. Chrono Trigger could have terrible sales but, it does not change how good it is when you actually sit down and play it.

This is a discussion forum. Not an opinion forum.

Pretty sure I can put any amount input into this that I want. If I want to say that I agree with quiteMad for the time being that I can relatively just say that.

Reagan Rayden

Exploding Man
Awards

Pretty sure I can put any amount input into this that I want. If I want to say that I agree with quiteMad for the time being that I can relatively just say that.

But you can't explain why? Alright then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back