• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Jeff Grubb expects Kingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary Event to happen this Spring

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Zordian

Awards
Jeff Grubb has gotten stuff right in the past before and has inside information, this being the 20th anniversary as well wouldn't make it surprising to have an event.

This is what we posted for is yearly game mess.

January 27: Elder Scrolls Online Event/Expansion/DLC
February 22-24: DICE Summit
February 25: Industry is OUT OF OFFICE (Elden Ring Day)
March 21-25: Game Developer Conference
May 4: May the 4th be with you
May 26-29: Star Wars Celebration
Spring: Kingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary Event
Spring: Final Fantasy XVI trailers+information
June: Summer Game Fest/virtual E3
June: Maybe we could all meet up at Cheesecake Factory?
August: Gamescom
December 26: Xboxera Grubbsmas Special

Kingdom Hearts IV being announced wouldn't be surprising, it's been three years since KHIII and it's time for a new KH announcement, of course, we could also get a Dream Drop Distance like title where it's the bridge between III and IV. What do you guys think?

Reactions: Raz

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I better get a goddamned solid release date for Lego Skywalker Saga at SW Celebration, I swear to God! We used to get like 3-4 of those games a year!

Oh sorry, what were talking about? I got a bit sidetracked.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
I'm expecting the next game to be like birth by sleep: a Yozora story, Riku story and Sora story.

Sure, Yozora could get his own game but at the same time - I don't see the harm in having some of his backstory in a 7-10 hour campaign

If it happens I feel like the order would be Yozora-Sora-Riku. Yozora's story would take place before the Secret Episode.

Sora's story takes place after the Secret Episode, what did Sora do during that whole year - or is there a time difference in Quadratum? Maybe it's been a day, week or month for Sora. Or two years, who knows.

That's my hope at least.

I also hope Re:Union X gets announced. I'd be fine with either a movie or full game, as long we get to make our own character.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I better get a goddamned solid release date for Lego Skywalker Saga at SW Celebration, I swear to God! We used to get like 3-4 of those games a year!

I saw a rumour today it's launching April or May this year. But I've been hurt with this game's release before :'(

okhi12

Awards
They said Dark Road's final update would be released this winter and I kinda assumed that would happen during the 20th anniversary event. If the anniversary event is scheduled for spring I hope it doesn't mean Dark Road is going to be delayed again... they could still release Dark Road's ending this winter as a way to build the hype a couple months before the anniversary event.

Anyway I'm glad we'll have news in the first half of the year. I have a lot of things to look forward to in the meantime, hopefully time will go fast.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
Maybe they could pair a side-game announcement with a KHIV announcement? There's no way we're skipping straight to a main game without some kind of side game (or three) along the way, if the past is anything to go by.

HakaishinChampa

Awards
Maybe they could pair a side-game announcement with a KHIV announcement? There's no way we're skipping straight to a main game without some kind of side game (or three) along the way, if the past is anything to go by.
Imagine if we get a BBS-Coded-358 type reveal.

That would be hype, 3 side-game announcements (or just 3 game announcements)

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Man, I sure would love a game that's:
A. on Switch (& probably other platforms too)
B. is an action RPG & not a rhythm game
C. actually runs on the Switch proper & not cloud streamed

For some reason that's apparently a tall order for Square.

Last edited:

HakaishinChampa

Awards
The three game announcements I would want honestly are: Verum Rex, Re:Union X and Days 2

Days 2 mostly because I've been reading Rise Above the X fanfiction on AO3 and love the Ice-Cream Trio.

They could call the game 365/2 Days

It would basically cover the 1 Year Gap. The story would switch between the different crews (TAV, RAX, Isa - he gets his own arc cause he's a lone wolf) with the game ending with a small Mickey segment in Scala and then "OATH TO RETURN: KINGDOM HEARTS"

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The three game announcements I would want honestly are: Verum Rex, Re:Union X and Days 2

Days 2 mostly because I've been reading Rise Above the X fanfiction on AO3 and love the Ice-Cream Trio.

They could call the game 365/2 Days

It would basically cover the 1 Year Gap. The story would switch between the different crews (TAV, RAX, Isa - he gets his own arc cause he's a lone wolf) with the game ending with a small Mickey segment in Scala and then "OATH TO RETURN: KINGDOM HEARTS"
I kinda doubt UX will ever get like a full 3D action game when they could just port the 2D version & rebalance it to scrub out all of the P2W BS.

On the topic of a Days sequel, I've had nearly the same idea: a GoL game game as the spiritual successor to Days being the Org13 game. Let's face it, Days kinda sucked as a multiplayer game with repetitive missions, limited variety of worlds, & no online. A redo on the concept is pretty overdue & now we've got the GoL (most of whom were in Days anyway). Data-Sora could fill in for the regular version.

Additionally, seeing nearly world in the series (over 30) recreated in MoM had me wondering if it were possible for a full game to have all of those worlds too. How perfect would it be for the 20th birthday to have an "Everyone is Here" approach to Disney worlds? Or at least as many as they can legally use anyway. If it uses the same engine/assets from MoM it might just be possible.

Yeah, that's right, I'm proposing Square make a shameless Unity asset flip game!

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Reporter for VentureBeat who's had insider info in the past. Here's a rundown of his track record:

In short, dates for upcoming gaming news events is sort of his specialty, so if he's saying KH announcements are coming in March, he's more likely right than not.
I mean, if you're really involved with fandoms of games you can probably make educated guesses on when things will happen. I suspect most of us on this forum probably expect some KH news by Spring of 2022. Also, by giving a season rather than specific month is even easier to cover yourself if he wants to be deemed an "insider" with some sort of knowledge. I anticipated some form of KH news would come by May 2022 and I'm sure many fans would say the same.

Regardless of what Jeff said, I'm pretty sure that we will get KH news and the event in the first half of the year rather than the second half. That is me going off of nothing besides a gut feeling and the fact that the anniversary would be in March. I'm actually kind of expecting them to do 2 major things this year for KH: an anniversary event some time in March and some other type of reveal (probably a more detailed trailer) in September - that way they use the Japanese and US anniversaries for KH news.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hmm I’m not sure we’re really learning anything new here? I thought it went without saying that the 20th Anniversary Event would be happening around the time of the… anniversary. I could be wrong though, maybe anniversary events sometimes happen later in a given year. I’ve been expecting something for March 2022 for over a year now.

The only semi-legit thing re: future games we have to go by is the NVIDIA leak, so I’m going to assume a KH4 and Re:Union X announcement until proven otherwise.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
No shit? that's when the anniversary hit
This was pretty much my reaction when I saw what he said.

Regardless, it's nice that Jeff has KH on his list. He's gotten a lot right and I take his word whenever I see something come up. Wish it was a little bit more juicy info but we're only 2 and a bit months away from the 20th anniversary, I can wait.

Playing through KH3 again (Riku mod) and rewatched the MoM cutscenes the other day. I was really let down and disappointed by the whole Yozora thing and then the whole MoM saga about Kairi when both games first came out but I've come around on it all since then. The lack of new KH information and games probably helped pull me through that disappointment and into excitement so I'm keen to see what is revealed this year.

Not expecting three game announcements though. We knew about four teams (Osaka, Indieszero, Union X team, and ???). Union X team is working on getting Dark Road done and I think the majority of them were folded into other parts of the company / Osaka team and indieszero isn't a dedicated Kingdom Hearts team and have been working on other games since (Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain in late 2021 was their most recent release.)

I'm still on the Disney+ show train, which apparently Square Enix is developing internally (which could explain what the ??? team is for) and, if ??? team is not developing a surprise non-main title game, that Kingdom Hearts 4 is coming next. Screw those who say "no recent films," gimmie Coco, Encanto, Moana, Luca, Raya, Brave, Soul, Incredibles, and more Tangled, Toy Story, Frozen, and Big Hero 6 :love:.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

Thank you for reminding me why I'm miserable.

Chie

Awards
There were only 3 years between KH1 and 2, after all. But as I've gone on about before that's because development conditions were so much more favorable then. Could it be possible for Nomura to have figured out how to make KH4 quickly? I'm not sure.

Back