• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Joker (2019) - “Put on a happy face”

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Entirely possible, I rewatched it in theaters a second time and I came up with an idea that every time you hear the loud bass sound when Arthur’s upset is an indicator that what was happening was real.

The cinematography of him going up and down the steps also serves as a great metaphor of the burden he has to constantly rise to the expectations of the people around him, and his final descent as a clown into madness. Tons of great imagery in this film
Yes. The cinematography in this film is spectacular. Especially the acting. I think the Academy should give Joker Best Male Actor and Best Cinematography. I'm not convinced for Best Score and Best Director, but Best Movie should be given to 1917.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
Yes. The cinematography in this film is spectacular. Especially the acting. I think the Academy should give Joker Best Male Actor and Best Cinematography. I'm not convinced for Best Score and Best Director, but Best Movie should be given to 1917.

Joker's cinematography was definitely better than I expected, but I don't know how you can watch 1917 and not think it's going to walk away with that oscar; none of the other films really can compare that movie's smooth-as-butter camerawork. Definitely agree on Joaquin Phoenix winning Best Actor, though; dude's an amazing actor.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Joker's cinematography was definitely better than I expected, but I don't know how you can watch 1917 and not think it's going to walk away with that oscar; none of the other films really can compare that movie's smooth-as-butter camerawork. Definitely agree on Joaquin Phoenix winning Best Actor, though; dude's an amazing actor.
1917 was filmed with a single camera, no cuts. But some claim it was filmed with more than one camera, just that they used camera tricks to give that illusion.

Nayru's Love

Why don't you play in Hell?
Awards
But some claim it was filmed with more than one camera, just that they used camera tricks to give that illusion.
Oh, that most certainly is the case. With films like these, some of the indicators of a shot cut include sudden camera movement and shadows, moments where it's easiest to hide the visual transition. A more subtle indicator is when there's a transition in the story from one "chapter" to the next (ie. when he's heading back out after taking a break with the mother and child), as it helps the actors focus on one scene at a time. Birdman is another "one-shot" movie that did this really well, and I'm certain that Roger Deakins (1917's cinematographer) took some notes from it.

Of course, that's not to say there weren't a lot of great shots in Joker; the bathroom scene and Murray Franklin show had some great lighting going on, and the police car scene ended up being an accidental homage to Heath. But I feel all other aspects of the movie are heavily overshadowed by Joaquin's performance.

Back